Sharbatly Village Compound in Jeddah ? Info please !! HELP !

Does anyone know what Sharbatly Village compound is like i Jeddah ?
I have Googled and read on one forum that it dates back to the 80s ?
Is this true ?
Is it well-kept and modern or old and worn down ?

Here's what I grabbed from off-line.  They sure make it sound GOOD!  Now I want to move there, too :lol:

Sharbatly village on Prince Majed Street, is almost a small town, only ten minutes away from Saudia Airport and fifthteen minutes away from the International Airport, having 950 villas ranging from 1 to 6 bedroom, all with private walled gardens, spread over half a million square meters.

Properties are available unfurnished or furnished with different packages to suit all budgets. The newly- built Community Centre and the Health Club provides an internet corner, aerobics studio, gymnasium, community lounge, conference room, extensive library multi-purpose room and travel agent. Two additional recreation centre offer indoor and outdoor activities including; 2 glass backed air conditioned squash courts, snooker and pool club, 2 adults and children swimming pools, 3 toddler's playgrounds, 6 tennis courts, 2 basket ball / volley ball / hockey courts, 2 football pitches, skating area, mini golf and practice nets and a games room with table tennis, television, youth club, snooker and baby foot.

Activities, language classes and sporting events are organized for residents. Other facilities include a full a la carte restaurant with home delivery service, supermarket, newsagents, laundry and dry cleaning service, hair salon, medical clinic, dental clinic, cable television, video centre, shopping, beach and school buses, car maintenance and valet services. Maintenance, security, fire station switchboard and limousine service are all 24 hours. There is professional staff for entertainment – organizing children's / adult events / ladies lunch – arts & crafts afternoons.

Management motto is aimed to create a happy relaxed and comfortable environment and atmosphere to give residents an enjoyable stall all year round. The overriding advantage of Sharbatly Village is the space – once around the village constitutes a long jog or bike ride – and the privacy afforded by a private, walled garden surrounding each and every 1-story villa.

Contact: Sales Department. Tel: 691 0828 ext:4622 or 4604 Fax: 639 3871 & or 682 0001 ext: 4607 email: [email protected]

http://www.sbtd.co.uk/images/Sharbatly.jpg

One more thing:  here's a link to a fairly recent discussion about this compound.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=84991

Maybe you can contract the people in this thread who moved there for their opinions.

Good luck.

Hey Alliecat= MANY thanks!

Sharbatly is very well kept. Swimming pools, houses and roads are all well maintained. The staff is relatively much nicer than other compounds. There are sheesha cafes, bowling arena and billiards. Mostly filipino females are employed with some egyptian and pakistani staff as guards and receptionists.

Mostly there are Americans, French and German people with equal number of Saudi residents and also Lebanese but all are tend to live very liberally with no strict dress code, neither on streets nor by the pool.

Very delicious restaurants inside as well.

They are usually always booked full, People enlist their names sometimes 6 month prior before and still find it hard to get a vacacny. It is just a luck if you get it in time.

Regards :)

simplysk= Are you in Jeddah ?
Have you been to Sharbatly Village ?

Saharadesert,

many times in Sharbatly. All my life I lived in Jeddah :).

but at the moment am in Riyadh.

Simplysk:

I have sent you a private mail on this forum as I have many questions about life in Jeddah. Thanks.

Got it :) and replied.

Sharbatley is one of the best for the money but it usually has a long waiting list.  They have built many new units in the last few years and added new gymn, clubhouse, pool.  The old pool area is one of the best with squash courts, bowling etc.  I waited 2 years to get in there but could not.   I have lived in Jeddah for 3 years and am familiar with many of the compounds.  Feel free to ask me any questions.

Hi Alon Injed
Can you please provide me some feedback on Arabian Homes such as availability, facilities? Also are there any more British compounds in Jeddah?

Thanks
fyounus

Alon Injed wrote:

Sharbatley is one of the best for the money but it usually has a long waiting list.  They have built many new units in the last few years and added new gymn, clubhouse, pool.  The old pool area is one of the best with squash courts, bowling etc.  I waited 2 years to get in there but could not.   I have lived in Jeddah for 3 years and am familiar with many of the compounds.  Feel free to ask me any questions.

There are many compounds in Jeddah some a little more Western than the other but all have some degree of mixture East and West.
I do not know of strictly British places.

Arabian Homes has many compounds Sierra  is best and Andalus seems to be well liked both are close to each other. They also have a few others with fewer amenities.  Both have ridiculous waiting lists.  Al Basentine is also very good and next to the British School again long  waiting list.  As I have adviced in the past here it is not what you want it is what is available if any.  Lotus IV is also acceptable good facilities although the management is somewhat arrogant but any port in a storm.  I know of at least two families that have left for that reason after the one year contract is up others have been there for 10 years.  There is a small publication Jeddah Today which lists all or most of the compounds.   Unfortunatly you can only get it here.  Many places give them away but you can also buy at one of the Jarrir Bookstore.  There are some very nice compounds but they do not have machine guns or soldiers so they do not rent to Westeners at least British and American passport holders.  The budget is also important as a 2 br 1.5 bath can go from 60,000 SAR to 120,000 SAR depending on the compound.

fyounus wrote:

Hi Alon Injed
Can you please provide me some feedback on Arabian Homes such as availability, facilities? Also are there any more British compounds in Jeddah?

Thanks
fyounus

Alon Injed wrote:

I also know that most of the tenants there are Lebanese. I also do not like the fact it is opposite to men's prison and far away from everything.

hyacinth wrote:

I also know that most of the tenants there are Lebanese. I also do not like the fact it is opposite to men's prison and far away from everything.

Hello Hyacinth,
Are you new in town?
There are many Lebanese there as well as Saudis.

hyacinth wrote:

So, in other words, it is NOT considered a 'western' compound??

Dear all if you do not want to live in a compound with Lebanese then forget about compounds.   Sherbatley has a large number of Lebanese as does every other compound in Jeddah.  A lot of these Lebanese hold passports from Western Countries.
I have friends from USA, Colombia, Spain, Germany, Lebanon, Syria and Cuba presently living at Shebartley.   I have friends from USA, Lebanon, England, Korea, Colombia, Agentina, France and Spain living in Sierra/Andalus (Arabian Homes).   I have friends from Greece, England, Lebanon, Filipines, Jordan, Syria, Kazistan, France and Indonesia living at Lotus IV.    Most of the Lebanese, Syrians and Jordanians friends I have come from  the USA or Europe.  If you want a sinitized environment best to stay away from Saudi Arabia.   This is just like America a little melting pot from everywhere. 
As far as the mens prison is concerned I saw a large wall with what looked like an army barracks but did not realize it was a prison.  Sherbbatley is surrounded by large walls with soldiers and machine guns protecting the perimeter.  I do not think it is worth worrying about, but that is a matter of personal preference.

Ok so I am an Australian living in Sharbatly at the moment so let me know wat questions you have

Simplsky - Saudis are not allowed in any compounds unless they dont declare they are saudis and hold nationality of other countries.

All compounds in Jeddah have an arab community comprised of egyptians, syrians and lebanese predominantly. Dont expect to be on any compound that is strictly western.

I visited Arabian homes and various other ones. They are all more of less the same.

Sharbatly houses are mostly prefabricated so the arent very sound proof which matters coz the compound is almost directly under the flight path for Jeddah airport which is bearable except during umrah and hajj seasons where the noise is constant

the mens prison doesnt look like a prison its more like barracks and the compound is well guarded so you dont need to worry about that

the pools and facilities are nice COMPARATIVELY when compared to other compounds

cleanliness is good enough but the one thing is that they dont do pest control and you can see that it is needed.

It is located in the north of Jeddah so depending on where work is for you, it takes an hour to get to the city centre district in peak traffic hours

Question for you is that are you coming with family or as a single female. The reason why I ask is that Sharbatly is ok if you are liberal in your thinking but not if you are conservative. For example, they dont allow women with headscarves into the recreational areas.

the restaurnat food is OK nothing to rave about if you are used to eating in nice restaurants overseas etc. Where are you coming from?

There are no 6 months in advance bookings anymore? I have always walked up every time and never even had to wait for a table

any more questions message me and I will be happy to help

With regard to 'Western' -- it really is more about a state of mind. 

I have Lebanese friends here in Riyadh who live in a compound but Saudi's have been moving in and have forced a change in the atmosphere.  They complain about things that most non-saudis take for granted--like wearing tank tops on hot days.  Many of the Lebanese are leaving this compound now, for this reason. 

Compounds are supposed to provide security but just as important for expats, we are looking for a refuge from the sometimes stifling culture of the Kingdom. If a particular compound doesn't provide that, what's the point in paying high prices to live there?

Agreed.  As long as the lefestyle is acceptable and they do not try to change it they are welcomed.   

Alliecat wrote:

I have Lebanese friends here in Riyadh who live in a compound but Saudi's have been moving in and have forced a change in the atmosphere.  They complain about things that most non-saudis take for granted--like wearing tank tops on hot days.  Many of the Lebanese are leaving this compound now, for this reason. 

Compounds are supposed to provide security but just as important for expats, we are looking for a refuge from the sometimes stifling culture of the Kingdom. If a particular compound doesn't provide that, what's the point in paying high prices to live there?

Alon Injed wrote:

Agreed.  As long as the lefestyle is acceptable and they do not try to change it they are welcomed.

Exactly!

Alliecat wrote:

COmpletely agree with you. :) For me choosing the compound was only due the security reason of me and my family and a refuge from the strict customs.

security is over-rated in the kingdom, with the crazy strict laws etc security is very well enforced here

sure there might be the odd incident here or there but its overall pretty safe

harbour from the strict customs is definitely a big win if u live in a compound tho

Its all about lifestyle.
I no longer live in a compound as I am alone here and cannot see paying the ridicolous rentals.  I get a better place in a new building for 1/3 the cost.  I am as safe as with the machine guns and soldiers.  I figure they hit the compounds before they attack my building.   My Saudi landlord is wonderful a true gentleman, however his first words to me were no ladies.  I have a Filipina who cleans my house once a week.  She has been with me for 3 years now and has her own key.   She comes and goes while I am at work and even this arrangement seemed to bother him not due to religious or moral reasons but because of fear of the Motawa.   I also miss the ability to talk to a lady over a cup of coffee which I did on a regular basis while in the compound.

Safety is everywhere in Saudi. Never you would have heard a western or european mugged or kidnapped for ransom
The only reason for Compound for foreigners I see is, to get rid of strict laws and to have the feeling of home away from home.

simplysk wrote:

The only reason for Compound for foreigners I see is, to get rid of strict laws and to have the feeling of home away from home.

Are YOU a westerner or european??  Then you don't know. 

Let me explain what you don't (can't) understand because you look like everybody else in this country:  Many Westerners stand out.  There's just no hiding blue eyes/blonde hair.  People are always looking at us.  I refuse to walk around covered in black from head to toe, so it's something I live with and if you know my posts, you know I've never complained about this.

There was an incident last year where western women waiting for a cab in front of Kingdom were attacked.  I personally know of a woman who had her purse snatched while in the area of Euromarche.

Do these things happen often?  Of course not.  But as I said, I know I stand out and could be a likely target if something is going to happen.

So is wearing a bikini at the pool  the only thing we care about?  Think about it.

And what about families?  Doesn't a man want to know his wife and children are safe when he's at work all day? That his children are safe riding their bikes in a compound as opposed to what?  Riding on a sidewalk in Riyadh?!? 

Never you would have heard a western or european mugged or kidnapped for ransom

Maybe that's because they live in compounds! 

But as I wrote earlier, things do happen.  A guy who worked at British Aerospace was bicycling in the desert last year and was deliberately run down and killed.  Now, bear in mind what I'm saying:  is this a dangerous place? No!  It's safer than NYC, I'm sure.  BUT.. things do happen.  Do you want them to happen to you or your family?  No.  And so you take precautions.  Living in a compound is one of those precautions. 

Don't underplay what you don't know, simplysk.

good reply Alliecat

Outside compounds all sorts of shit happens - I for one will always prefer to be safe than sorry

I have lived around 10 years in compound, Saudi City, which is one of the best ones. You talk with your experience and I have the right to talk with myne, you cannot say that I dont know as you might not know what I know.

There have been 10 deaths on the main road I have lived infront of coz car ran over people.... in 10 years. What you said is 2 or 3 incidents. Women are mugged on streets, not just foreigners but also saudis, and asians. It is a society thing...

I have been almost mugged in London, and one time I was hit by a car on a pedestrian walkway by a van in London. SO does that mean London is very inhumane country and that we should live in compounds for our security? that is obvious in compounds incidents happen a very small scale, almost negligible. But everything that happend to that british cyclist of yours or women got mugged in front of kingdom compound is just a day to day thing which can happen to everyone, not a racial thing or likewise.

Alliecat wrote:
simplysk wrote:

Are YOU a westerner or european??  Then you don't know. 

Let me explain what you don't (can't) understand because you look like everybody else in this country:  Many Westerners stand out.  There's just no hiding blue eyes/blonde hair.  People are always looking at us.  I refuse to walk around covered in black from head to toe, so it's something I live with and if you know my posts, you know I've never complained about this.

There was an incident last year where western women waiting for a cab in front of Kingdom were attacked.  I personally know of a woman who had her purse snatched while in the area of Euromarche.

Do these things happen often?  Of course not.  But as I said, I know I stand out and could be a likely target if something is going to happen.

So is wearing a bikini at the pool  the only thing we care about?  Think about it.

And what about families?  Doesn't a man want to know his wife and children are safe when he's at work all day? That his children are safe riding their bikes in a compound as opposed to what?  Riding on a sidewalk in Riyadh?!? 

Never you would have heard a western or european mugged or kidnapped for ransom

Maybe that's because they live in compounds! 

But as I wrote earlier, things do happen.  A guy who worked at British Aerospace was bicycling in the desert last year and was deliberately run down and killed.  Now, bear in mind what I'm saying:  is this a dangerous place? No!  It's safer than NYC, I'm sure.  BUT.. things do happen.  Do you want them to happen to you or your family?  No.  And so you take precautions.  Living in a compound is one of those precautions. 

Don't underplay what you don't know, simplysk.

You were talking about what Westerners want and  you're not a westerner.

If I were speaking like an authority about what is important to a Pakistani, you would most probably find flaws in my thinking/opinions, as well (even though I'd be entitled to them, you'd be entitled to point out that I was talking through my hat lol).

Also, as I said several times and thought I made most clear, I wasn't saying that Riyadh was any more unsafe than any major city.  In fact, it's safer.  But I *was* saying that things DO happen and that people who are obviously foreigners stand out more as potential victims.

An addendum: 

I WAS once mugged by a guy with a straight razor on a subway in Mexico City and it wasn't by chance.  It was because I stood out as a foreigner--a tourist-- and he assumed I'd have valuables on me.

i think Saharadesert sure got more than she asked for in this forum discussion lol

simplysky im thinking of moving to saudi city as that is closer to my office

how easy is it to get onto the party scene in that compound? I hear theres a lot happening there

Allie...
Anyother resident in Saudi is equally at risk of being mugged, they dont care, atleast here in KSA for thinking as foreigners are more rich. Just whomever comes in their way, is a victim. Perhaps you see from ur perspective while I see from my experience of around 23 years ;).

Ozzi, SAudi city is going under serious changes, all the saudi airlines staff has been asked to leave, they gona change many things about it and also tha management is going to change. It is a wonderful place to be. The sports facilities are also very nice. You can give it a go... Sharbatly however is better. and Arabian homes is exquisite.

the saudi city is meant for the airline staff so what is the point if they are asking staff to leave??

are the changes good or bad? I am interested in an environment where I can easily party and have a good time without getting into any issues

any contacts tips etc you have feel free to pm me plz

Hello

Im looking to visit a 1/2 bedroom apartment.. Pls give me a call

Hi alexx.torres1081 > no need to post on all the forums. Also note that this is an old topic. You can start a new one on the Jeddah forum.

dears,

Have a nice day,

Please I need your help ASAP to get (rent) a one bedroom villa in Jeddah.

Name: Ramadan Gaber – Manager of west area KSA
Company: Pirelli  - Agent in KSA is General Automotive Services Co.

Awaiting your kind reply.

Regards
RG

Hi Ramadan,

Regarding accommodation i will suggest you to please post an advert in the Holiday rentals in Jeddah section please and please note that this topic here is a bit old :)

Thank you

Maximilien

It was run down even back in 1982

I'm 17 years old and live in sharbatly... I love it here. The houses are very nice and well intact. The roads are good too just some need repair and are being repaired. We have supermarket where you can basically get anything you want. The pools are the best thing here. Me and my friends always sit at the central pool together and tbh we love it. At the pools you will always feel like you're on vacation...

Moderated by Gavind 8 years ago
Reason : off topic + irrelevant