Cost of living in kenya- westlands

Hi,

we got a job in kenya recently and are planning to move there, the job location is mainly at westlands area.

i would highly appreciate if somebody can let me know answers to my following queries.

1. accomodation:- Which is the area near westlands where more indians recide and what would be the cost of RENTAL fully furnished 1 bhk apartment. Would shifting into non furnished apartment and then buying the furniture ourself be the good option?

2. Groceries:- What would the expense for the grocery come to, for 2 people( vegetarian)?

3. Electricity charges.

4. Maid servant charges

5 and medical facilities per month.

Thanks a lot and regards
Avni

Avni,

There is a sticky post at the beginning of this thread which could answer some of your questions. Westland has a large Indian population and so has nearby Parklands area.

Hello Mr Avni, i am suresh, am form hyerabad too... am in nairobi from 10 months, leave your number in my personnel mailbox, i wil call you.

Living in Nairobi, Kenya

Currency is Kenyan Shillings (Kshs) and today's rate are about
1 USD = 83 Kshs today

> accommodation prices
2/3 bedrooms flat in Nairobi - 40 to 120,000 Kshs/month and stil more expensive also available. Park lands is the best place for indians. westlands is also good but mix of indians and foreigners.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
Here you can get all kinds of vegetables, so do not worry about it, if you are cooking by yourself, then may be 10,000 for vegetables and 10000 for groceries.
It also depends on how many people and how much food you consume and what kind of food you consume.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
Plenty of health insurance in Nairobi..

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Today petrol is about 114 Kshs/liter

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

Electricity - about 4 to 7000 Kshs

Internet - Per month internet from 1500-3000, if you take zuku, then you get dstv and internet for 4000,
To call india, 2.5 -3 Ksh per min.
Mobile phone/Telephone - mobile phone 2-3 ksh for local call per min.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
There are many indian rest. and for a family it may cost 3000-7000 depending on your order.

>Maid servant, from 8000 or may go down, according to the government rules, maid should be paid min 8000. i got this info form my friend who stays here with his family.

> price of the cinema
Cinema - 400 for normal to 450 for 3D Kshs per seat

Hi All,

Iam Vamshi from mumbai . I have got an offer in nairobi with a salary of 3000 USD per month .would like to know about the cost of living in nairobi? Can some one helps me ??

vamshik wrote:

Hi All,

Iam Vamshi from mumbai . I have got an offer in nairobi with a salary of 3000 USD per month .would like to know about the cost of living in nairobi? Can some one helps me ??

Welcome ti the forum.

For information please read the many informative posts in the forum categories section on the right hand side of this page.   
For cost of living also try www.numbeo.com