Worried about heat in Dar es Salaam

We are considering moving to Africa and Dar is one of our options. I am however concerned about the heat. Can someone tell me how bad it is - is it unpleasantly hot all year round? We have two children and part of wanting to come back to Africa (we are originally from Zimbabwe/South Africa)is for more of an outdoor life but is it so hot in Dar that one would not want to go outdoors?

Hi lisahorak!

Welcome to Expat.com ;)

Armand

Got this somewhere while thinking searching info to design a wind power. Will try to search again for you. But for now, just read this, think it can help a bit.

•Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania latitude & longitude; 6°52'S 39°12'E.
•Altitude; 55 m (180 ft).
•The average temperature in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania is 25.9 °C (79 °F).
•The range of average monthly temperatures is 4.5 °C.
•The warmest average max/ high temperature is 32 °C (90 °F) in January, February, March & December.
•    The coolest average min/ low temperature is 18 °C (64 °F) in August.
•    Dar Es Salaam receives on average 1042 mm (41.0 in) of precipitation annually or 87 mm (3.4 in) each month.
•    On balance there are 92 days annually on which greater than 0.1 mm (0.004 in) ofprecipitation (rain, sleet, snow or hail) occurrs or 8 days on an average month.
•The month with the driest weather is July when on balance 21 mm (0.8 in) of rain, sleet, hail or snow falls across 4 days.
•The month with the wettest weather is April when on balance 264 mm (10.4 in) of rain, sleet, hail or snow falls across 18 days.
•Mean relative humidity for an average year is recorded as 77.9% and on a monthly basis it ranges from 72% in January to 82% in April.
•    There is an average range of hours of sunshine in Dar Es Salaam of between 5.3 hours per day in April and 8.9 hours per day in October.
•On balance there are 2836 sunshine hours annually and approximately 7.8 sunlight hours for each day.
•On balance there are 0 days annually registering frost in Dar Es Salaam and in July there are on average 0 days with frost.

Thanks for your post Robovic - do you find it very hot living there?

Sometimes yes. But I was born here, it might be more disgusting for someone who wasn't born in this environment. But what I know is that normally people get used to their environment with time. Also it is better to choose a good house when you come, because the location and setup of the house will make things a little bit easier.

But besides all that, if there is a really a need to come here, you can for sure train your mind to adapt to the environment. Dar es Salaam is a metropolitan; a lot of people from different parts of the world are here. If we have Russians here, you can manage too. Europe is cold, yet a lot of Europeans are here. Living no passing. Welcome to Tanzania.