Researching Nicaragua for possible retirement.

My  wife and I are looking at possibly spending 5yrs or so living in Central America.
We are interested in learning what prevailing feelings towards American expats are, possible opportunities to help out in local communities. (My wife is a nurse with 27 yrs experience and I'm just a heck of a nice guy with a cooking and fishing guide background)
What we would like to find is a simple, quiter life to enjoy a few years of retirement where we could also be helpful to the host community.
Thanks for any help or input.

When I moved to Nicaragua eight years ago I was concerned about how I would be treated. After so many years of US intervention I was not expecting a good reception. The reality is that people here seem to understand the difference between actions of a government and actions of the people. I have never had a problem here because I am from Gringolandia.

I live in the Tisey reserve near Estelí which seems to have a Gringo population of two. Estelí has more Gringos but still feels "local". You find a lot of info form lots of people who have moved to Nicaragua on nicaliving.com, a site I started eight years ago. While you will find people unhappy with Nicaragua, I can't think of a single (sane) post where it is attributed to where one came from.

Hi flyphish,
I see you're from Soldotna. I was raised in Kenai in the 50's and 60's and finished high school in Anchorage. We may have common friends.
I've been a resident in Nicaragua for 6 years and have 8 years total in country. Also 15 years in Costa Rica and a few years in Bolivia.
As to Nicas attitudes towards North Americans -- I've never had any problems with the people. nicafyl, your first answer, has the right idea. I've always found the people to be friendly and I have some very good Nica friends. I believe that you will find most people don't have any negative feelings for "gringos".
The country needs all the help it can get, I would imagine your wife wouldn't have any problem in helping out anywhere you decided to settle.
I'll try to answer anything possible so feel free to ask.
Rudy

Hello,

Five years is the time the Law 694 gives to retirees to be legal in Nicaragua, I mean the residency for retirees is for 5 years, the same law gives to retirees tax exemption for the importation of your household goods and in a vehicle. If you have a pension and you can prove it, over $ 600 per months you will qualify and if is over $ 750 will cover you wife too.

I posted in this website some info, https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 453#403727
also you will find more info and comments in nicaliving.com

If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me,

Best Regards

Paul Tiffer

Couple things you can do with regards to Nicaragua.

Have you and your wife traveled to there recently?  You can bet houses in the cities such as León are pretty expensive.  Cheap relative to the states but still expensive none the less. I just got back last week and I looked at about 25 houses for sale there. Cheapest I saw was about $110,000 and most expensive was $550,000. A house on the beach outside León Is about $125,000 and up. That's right on the beach though. Keep in mind they have had a tsunami in the past as well. Cerro Negro Volcano is quit active as well. They have their share in earthquakes as well. Google the one in 1972. Look at the area view from the space camera NASA owns. If you are looking to retire or do business in Nica check out my blog. Email me if you have anymore questions. Don't let mother nature scare you off.
You can do business in that part of the world to help supplement your retirement income. Money in Nicaragua goes a long way so a small business on the side means that you would use less of your dollars when you retire!
You can rent surf boards on the beach or open a hostel. You could also start your own pizza delivery service if you have experience in that field. Never assume you can distribute your product with the current road systems and traffic. It's not the same as in the states. Roads really are not up to par there. It's getting better and has come a long way but still you are not able to distribute your product easily.

Investnicaragua.blogspot.com

Hi...i am retired and living part time in Granada...Granada Lake and Islands have perfect fishing opportunities.  Nurses are in demand everywhere and there are several organizations (non-profit) your wife could join.

There are many resources here for researching Nicaragua. [Moderated: No free ad pls]. Amy and I have lived in the Granada area for the past seven years and are heavily involved in the community projects and knowledgeable about the foundations here.

Regards

Darrell

do you know any immagration lawyer there?i will move to nicaragua very soon.
Christina

I have known and worked with Paul Tiffer for many years. (He posted earlier in this thread.) I highly recommend him. He has done the residency work (and other work involving businesses and real estate) for many NicaLiving members.

do you have his contact number or email,i want to ask he about residency visa how can i get from where i live,much thanks