Getting married in vietnam

hello,

can my girlfriend and I get married in vietnam without any hustle? like here in the philippines, if u wnt to get married quickly and hustle-free, you can go to manila city hall and everything will be process within the day. Is there something like that in vietnam? One-day processing marriage? if so, what are the requirements??

Thank you very much.

The words "quickly" and "hustle free" are not associated with marriage in VietNam. "Hustle free" is not an expression associated with the Government of VietNam.

Only people with status in VietNam, that is to say a citizen or Residence/Work Permit holder can get married here. If neither party has status, go elsewhere.

Citizens of ASEAN countries can use affidavits for submitting their status, people from non-ASEAN countries have to acquire a plethora of government documents, have them certified, signed and counter-signed  by their government and the Vietnamese ambassador to that country OR certified, signed and counter-signed by your embassy in VietNam, and checked out by the ministry for foreign affairs.

Then you need a mental and blood test. The mental test is simple. A VN doctor tries to speak to you in English, and then you try to speak to him in English, and unless you are a complete moron and slavering at the mounth, etc., he certifies you are Normal.

The blood test is to check for AIDS/HIV.

After gathering all this stuff together, along with two or three mug shots of the parties, a completed Marriage Licence Application form, ID cards and/or passports, money and a book (to read whilst you wait) you proceed to the Justice Ministry in the 90's block of Pasteur near the intersection with Dien Bien Phu Street.

Good news! The parking is free.

After waiting a very long time in the waiting room with your number in hand, you will get called to the counter. The clerk will review your paperwork and, if ciomplete, he will accept your money and give you a receipt.

Afer about 4 weeks, if the claims in your paperwork check out, ou will get a telephone call giving you an appointment for your marriage.

Don't be late, don't take other people, and take your book. Don't forget ID cards/passports AND the ring!

After waiting for ages past the appointment time, they are always late, your names will be called. You will be asked to sign the register, and some other forms, and you are done.

The most unromantic marriage ceremony around!

Before leaving I suggest you get three certified copies of your marriage certificate, you will need them for so many things including registering your accommodation, bank accounts, etc. The most likely use of a copy of your certificate will be for checking in to hotels.

Note: You can't get married in Cambodia if the male is older than somewhere around 50 - to stop dirty old men marrying near children. I don't know about Thailand, but Singapore and HongKong are likely your best places for a quick, hassle free ceremony.

Manila sounds good, too.

Good luck!

P.S. If one party is Vietnamese, then the Justice Ministry in their home province is the place to get married.

I had a great wedding here; it was quite romantic.  We had the wedding, interviewed and signed the big book within 30 days.  Our paperwork was completed before I ever set foot in Vietnam, though.

Vietnamese society places a high value on marriage and the family, therefore there's a lengthy process couples must go through to get married. Anything that's worth doing is worth waiting for, right?

hi, how did u do it? i will be in vietnam on 13 Feb 2012. do you think i could arrange our papers before I arrive there? pls advise. Thank you.

I hired an attorney in America to handle everything.  Her father took care of what needed to be done here. 

Does your finance's family approve of the marriage?  If not, you might have some trouble.

Why so fast Speedy?  My advice is to take it slow and let the process play out naturally.

This is a better place to get advice, or to read stories of how some Americans married Vietnamese women, in Vietnam.  I know you're Philippino, but the process should be similar.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/136-vietnam/

There have been at least 3 Vietnamese women killed by their deranged and abusive South Korean husbands in recent years.  That's not a knock on S. Korean men, but a fact that has been highly publicised.  I imagine the Vietnamese authorities see these senseless deaths as justification for a slow marriage process, especially when foreigners are involved.

thanks for the advice.

anavrin1004 wrote:

hi, how did u do it? i will be in vietnam on 13 Feb 2012. do you think i could arrange our papers before I arrive there? pls advise. Thank you.

If the other party is Vietnamese, you can get a blood test and a crazy test done in the Phils.

Contact the VN Embassy, in Manila, for guidance. They will also advise you what the Affidavit should say. If you swear/sign your affidavit in the Phils it will need an Embassy stamp.

If you complete your paper work in VietNam, you have to use the official translator and commissioner.

It is always best to apply in person since corrections can be made easily.

Given that air fares are cheap between the Clarke Airport and SaiGon you would be best attending for the Application.

Since 2009 the crazy test has to be done in Vietnam.

You can try Marc Ellis, for the paperwork.  His assistant, Mr. Nam, used to do Vietnamese marriages.

http://www.marcellislaw.com/

After the crazy test, can I marry my non-vietnamese fiance?? or it will take another days/weeks?

anavrin1004 wrote:

After the crazy test, can I marry my non-Vietnamese fiancée?? or it will take another days/weeks?

ONLY if one of you has either a Vietnamese passport, or a Vietnamese Residence or Work Permit.

Visitors cannot marry in VietNam!

(Look at Singapore or HongKong for this type of marriage)

what?? :-) so u now suggest that we get married in singapore or hk instead?

anavrin1004 wrote:

what?? :-) so u now suggest that we get married in singapore or hk instead?

I am saying you are not eligible marry in VN.

I am suggesting you checkout Singapore and HongKong instead.

I know people from the Phils get married in HKG BUT conditions always change so check it out!

UPDATE

Marriage in HongKong
See: < http://hongkong.angloinfo.com/countries … rriage.asp > (and contained links)

Note:
Must be over 21; parties must apply for Licence at least 17 days before ceremony.

Marriage in Singapore
See: < http://singapore.angloinfo.com/countrie … rriage.asp >

Note:
You both must reside in Singapore for 14 days (very expensive).

Therefore, apart from Manila, HongKong looks like your best chance.

Hi Anavrin,

Your type of marriage (between 2 foreigners) is VERY tough to perform here.  Technically, Vietnam has no jurisdiction over either one of you; its civil services have no obligation to perform such unions.  Therefore, even in Hong Kong or Singapore, please read the fine prints carefully.  Make sure that you fully understand and completely satisfy all of the requirements; otherwise, you guys could end up wasting a lot of time and money on this.

Best of luck,
Howie

Hi

You would have to make a booking and join the Q if you want to get married in Singapore at the ROM (Registry Of Marriage). There is no walk in counter to do this. You also need to bring two witness as signatory as well. Your marriage will be posted publicly in their registry to see if any people will object to this before it is finalised. This will take 14 days...I think. Oh... This is the Dragon year and very popular for weddings and babies.! The Q may be longer.

If you want hustle free, maybe you can try Las Vegas !

WideAwake wrote:

Since 2009 the crazy test has to be done in Vietnam.

You can try Marc Ellis, for the paperwork.  His assistant, Mr. Nam, used to do Vietnamese marriages.

http://www.marcellislaw.com/

Last year one of my colleagues had both the HIV/AIDS and the mental competency (crazy) test done in Toronto, Canada.

I know this because I ran his papers around to the Canadian Consulate and when they returned them I took all the papers to the cities official document translator and commissioner round the corner from the Main Post Office.

Please confirm my situation? My partner and I are going to Vietnam in June for a 2 week holiday. We are both English and will be getting a vistors visa (I have never travelled further than Europe before) We were hoping there may a way we could get married without all the legal side of it. Is this just a crazy dream of ours or can it be done? We are not interested in the legal side of marriage, just a ceromony and some nice memories. Would we still have to go through all the paper work and forms?

I suppose for the right price you can get/do anything.  Get me a plane ticket to VN and I'll officiate at your wedding.  I drive a limo in the US.

salmonjoe wrote:

Please confirm my situation? My partner and I are going to Vietnam in June for a 2 week holiday. We are both English and will be getting a vistors visa (I have never travelled further than Europe before) We were hoping there may a way we could get married without all the legal side of it. Is this just a crazy dream of ours or can it be done? We are not interested in the legal side of marriage, just a ceromony and some nice memories. Would we still have to go through all the paper work and forms?

(1) You do NOT reside in VietNam;

(2) You have no official status here: Residence, Work, Citizenship, Diplomatic. Tourist visas are for collecting money;

(3) A person who has status can get married here and it begins by getting a couple of medical tests done, gathering a lot of documents, which have to be certified by the UK government, THEN approved by the VN Embassy in London;

(4) All this information, along with copies of your passport and visa (showing originals at time of filing) has to be filed, along with money, at the time Application is filed;

(5) You then have to wait 30 days minimum when the Ministry of Justice calls/communicates and gives you a date;

(6) On the appointed day and at the appointed time you are called (or within an hour or so of the time) your name is called;

(7) You appear, with your passport and Permits and if the official is satisfied you sign more forms, and the register and you are officially married;

(8) No romance, no ceremony, no kissing - this is a government ministry.

In two words: Forget It.

I suggest you head north to Gretna Green, Scotland.

Or you can try Las Vegas in the US and get married by Elvis.

salmonjoe,
When you say "partner" is that like you both can use the same bathroom?

"Partner" = I am a girl and he is a boy.. It does sound all very hectic. Just seemed like a nice idea seems as though we are holidaying there.. Thanks for the info - back to the drawing board :(

People please be careful when you think about marrying a girl in Vietnam.
I met 2 girls, one in Saigon and the second one in Da Nang. The first one wanted to kill my child so I quit her, all was for money and her name was Mia Soda. The latter one from Da Nang, her name was Phuong Dung Jenny. We met in Facebook and after 2 weeks she wanted to marry me but I was still divorcing with a child. At that time I lived in Hanoi.I went to see her in Da Nang but the day before she got an accident and was in a hospital. I took the plane to meet her in Da Nang and after 3 days she was out of the hospital. Her parents allowed me to sleep with her. Then she moved with me to Hanoi even though her parents disagreed saying that I will sell her to Chinese or Korean people. We lived in Hanoi but with the time I realized she was crazy breaking everything when I said "something wrong". Also she and her family she considered me as a banking machine and I had to pay for everything. We got engaged in a ceremony in Da Nang City after 4 months and it was going completely nuts. All in all this ended in an absolute nightmare. When you push someone to a limit it comes to a point where I could not bear it anymore so I insulted her saying she is a fucking catholic bitch for her family but in the end it was true.
She pushed me away very easily to find some new "opportunities" in Danang and I came back to Da Nang to apologize. She just threw me bricks to kill me when she met me and in the end, she took a screwdriver to stab me in the wrist and also, she stabbed her father 5 times through his arm. It was a bloody story.
So people be careful with the girls that you met there, all they want is money in any way possible. But for Phuong Dung Jenny she took religion (she is catholic) and also her viriginity as a marketing sponsor.
So foreigners please be careful with the people that you meet there, I haven't told you the whole story but mostly at 99% all they want is the fucking money.

I lost all that I bought there and had to go back to France.

Good luck and please be careful.

All the Best

chrisminh wrote:

People please be careful when you think about marrying a girl in Vietnam.

You really ought to read at least a few posts in the thread;  it could have saved you a lot of typing. ;)

Hi!
I think it should be clear about this "getting married in Vietnam":
- 2 foreigners (either expats or tourists) want to have a fancy wedding ceremony here without legal side.
- 2 foreigners (either both) want to have a wedding with all legal papers.
- A foreigner get married with a Vietnamese
They're all different.

What is the option that the topic's owner and some of you want to talk about?

Em oi!
That's an old thread in 2012 and most of the posters are now out of Vietnam  :D

Scarletvn wrote:

Hi!
I think it should be clear about this "getting married in Vietnam":
- 2 foreigners (either expats or tourists) want to have a fancy wedding ceremony here without legal side.
- 2 foreigners (either both) want to have a wedding with all legal papers.
- A foreigner get married with a Vietnamese
They're all different.

What is the option that the topic's owner and some of you want to talk about?

^_^

:D

Yes,of course.Everyone loves money.And Vietnamese girls,they just want money for their shopping and some they want money for their family...so really hard to find a good girl.

I got married in Vietnam last December, and I have to say, So Tu Phap is the slowest, most inefficient place I've ever seen.

I am an Australian citizen who lives and works in Hong Kong. I intend to become a permanent resident of Hong Kong. I met a Vietnamese lady in HK but her visa ran out and she returned to Ho Chi Min City. I have visited her there and am madly in love with her. She is a Buddhist and has a job as an accountant and an 8 year old son. She is very reluctant to spend my money; I even had to persuade her to buy two pairs of shoes (US$40 total). She is a very down-to-earth person. She says she loves me. At first she was reluctant to marry me as she did not know me that well. She is now happy to marry me as I have visited her in Vietnam every month. My next trip to Vietnam I am going to ask her parents (who live in Hanoi) if we can marry. I would then like to marry her either in Vietnam or Hong Kong. Any comments welcome.

I am "going through the process" of getting married in Vietnam now. It is no overnight process. Here is the step-by-step process I am going through.
1. As an American, I had to get a status of being "Single" notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi ($50.00)
2. Criminal background check, stamped by a Vietnamese agency, and a check to see if there are other marriages in their data banks. (Not sure of the name of this agency).
3. Two copies of everything stamped and notarized by a notary (Vietnam) including all pages of passport with visa stamps.
4 A medical exam for both you and your fiance (comprehensive medical includes, Xrays, MRI, Blood, Urine) cost about 2 million vnd.
5. A DOJ application for marriage at the municipality where your fiance is from. (1.6 million vnd)
7. Interview with a marriage counselor at the DOJ to see if you are fit to be married to your partner.
8. Wait about a month to get the approval from the Minister of Marriage
After all that you get a stamped marriage certificate and you are declared officially married. (Very romantic)

It is impossible in Vietnam.

It is not entirely possible to get married here. I live here, and have to put up with the frustration. It is a process, but it can be done. Just be patient, that is the key. Good luck.

Man, 1 day in the Philippines. Married quickly and hustle-free, No way here in Nam. No matter where, you want to marry in Nam or your home country. This is a 6 month's process. I married in the Netherlands to avoid headache.
Also a lot less people who want to see a white face. 400/500/600 hundred of these jokers I have never seen in my live.
My outcome was, marry in the Netherlands and it was perfect.
Regards Ron.

A second American friend has just decided to go to THAILAND to marry his Vietnamese girlfriend. It's easier there. Good idea !
Although - officially - the procedures to marry in Vietnam have been simplified, the administrators still make it difficult as difficult as possible, so that they can try and suck bribe money out of hapless foreigners.

I just got married in Hanoi, Vietnam. It was a 3 month process. Lots of running around, interviews, comprehensive medical. Those are the steps you can expect to get married in Vietnam. Good luck.

No, you cannot. You should contact with the Department of Justice of Ho Chi Minh City to ask a list of required documents. Most of guidlines here are wrong.

Not true about bribe money. It cost me around 300 dollars to get through the process of getting married. I just got my stamped marriage certificate yesterday. It was a 3 month process. It was a pain in the ass to get it done, but the process was all above board. It was a very comprehensive process.

for filipinos, you need your CENOMAR and get a "certificate to contracl marriage" from the embassy, only with that that the vietnam government can legally acknowledge you to be eligible.