Indian moving in to Maputo.. Queries on life there...
I am an Indian, considering moving to Maputo and I have almost the same questions that most of you would have had when you first considered a move to this country. I would appreciate if you can answer my questions at the earliest. I am considering an offer from a firm and your expedited answers will help me in deciding on it.
1) How safe is this place to live in? - Physical safety + Health? Heard crime rate is more in Africa. I have never been to African continent.
2) How Expensive is the location? What is the average cost of living : Accommodation (2-bedroom furnished homes with all amenities) in a decent locality + Electricity/Water + Internet + Vehicle (Rent/Buy) + Driver + Maid + Groceries and Fuel - for a comfortable life?
3) Is driving license easy to get and driving a car a common option? Is it right-hand drive or left-hand? Do you get good public transport networks? My job demands a lot of traveling across Mozambique and to nearby countries like South Africa and Zimbabwe.
3)What are the recreational options available In Maputo?
4) Are there good English-medium schools in Maputo - International Schools? My son goes to Senior KG.
5) How about the hospital system? Do the medics speak English? My wife is carrying our second child (early stages). Is it advisable for her to move in with me and do consultation and delivery from there? How about regular healthcare for us? Is it cheap and good?
6) Salary: What is a good monthly salary (in USD)? Or let me rephrase it. What is really required to live a good life there? Please factor in the tax component that gets deducted too. Also, rent, car, food, outings, education, healthcare etc. included.
7) Can you survive with English alone? Do people understand English, at least for daily essentials? Or should we learn Portuguese?
8) Howz the weather? Bearable during all seasons?
9) Howz the place in general? Is it developed? Can you liken it to any Indian/foreign city?
10) How are the people? Their attitude towards expats like us?
11) How far is the travel from India, say Mumbai/Bangalore, by flight? Whats the best option you take? How expensive are the tickets in general?
12) Any banks with branches in India operating there?
12) Are there India groceries or restaurants? Are they common?
I am sorry, that's a lot of questions. However, please put yourselves in my shoes and that would help you realize the same anxiety I have as you had while moving to Mozambique. No Indian friends at this place, as of now. I am used to the Indian culture and so I would like to understand how easily I can adapt to this place. Hence, your speedy response will help me take a quick decision on this.
Max (from India)