How to make friends in Malaga

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Malaga :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Malaga??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I joined the 'U3A' there are several groups now along the costa del sol.  They offer great groups to follow an 'interest' from creative writing, to music appreciation and everything in-between! Origianlly for 'Third Age' persons (i.e over 60+)... my local group didn't mind one bit I was in my 30's.  You pay just one annual fee (quite low/reasonable!) and go to as many groups as you want.  Some very friendly/interesting/intellegent people there! 

Other way (when I was fit!) - I joined in a weekly tennis coaching session.  Altho I no longer can play, I have kept in touch with many of the group members.

On the whole, I do know you have to sort out the wheat from the chaff when making friends here. (Sadly there are so many ex-pats who are on the scrounge).  But the same as anywhere, if you get out there, you are in line for some good experiences (hopefully :)

would love to meet up if poss ? will be malaga round 20th  am travellin alone, would love yo meet locals expats,

(moderated: you are  :offtopic: )

TRYING TO MAKE FRIENDS AND MEET FOREIGN PEOPLE IN MÁLAGA CITY.
I,M SPANISH I CAN SPEAK A LITTLE BEAT OF ENGLISH, FRENCH SOMETIMES ITALIAN
TH
ARACELI

Hi alr71,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

ps: you should avoid using your caps lock on the forum.

Thank you.

Hi, I am hoping to move to Malaga from Canada within the next few months and would love to make some good friends.  I will be looking for an apartment in the heart of the city.  If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it!  Take care

Hi lynjoy,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Concerning your accommodation search, i would suggest you to have a look at the Malaga classifieds > accommodation section and post an advert there as well.

I hope you get lots of new contacts here. Do not hesitate to share your experience with us on the forum Malaga.

Thank you,
Christine

Hello klari and welcome to Expat.com!

Harmonie.:)

I am in the same boat :-( I work 8-6 daily mon-fri...I can't believe I am here 3 months already, I have met people out of work but mainly my new friends are work colleagues, I have joined local groups and attended events and made some friends there too but that's been mainly networking. I would like to meet new people for friendship but where would I find the time :-)

Im Spanish living since last summer in Málaga
it,s really difficult to meet honest , ordinary and nice people anyway
I hope to be more lucky next year
Anyone is interested to meet a young woman who is able to speak English , French or a little Italian can contact me by mail:
[email protected]
Best regards

Hello Everyone, Happy New Year
I am a new member, I am Jay, I live in Malaga area in campo,
And although... Its beautiful, I dont actually know no one, any one else feel that way? Im not saying I have never actually met any people at all, but, you just know who you would and would not be able to make a real good friendship with dont you... I am sure you know where I am coming from there.
Anyway, I am hoping to make some great new friends here, so please say hello if you want to..  jay x

Hi all:D, have been a member since 2007 but this is my first post.:lol:Just moved here after 7 years in france near the Pyrenees.  Like Jaynee, I live in the campo near Alora temporarily, about 30 mins from Malaga, but drive down at least once a week. I'd love to meet up for drink/coffee/lunch/breakfast anything, sometime, with any body that would like to make a new friend or just have some stimulating conversation. I would like to join in with the evening orientated guys as well but where I currently stay is way up in the hills and although I have been driving for many years, I wouldn't drive back up our mountain track in the dark after a couple of drinks....daytime is bad enough!:unsure
For the guys that work during the day, what about a weekend meet around Malaga?
If anyone wants to email, I'll always reply   [email protected]
regards to all
SM.

Hi Shantyman
The campo life is nice, but the drive up and down the mountain can be a bind to say the least, I dont know your area of campo Alora, fed up with France then, I like France too,
Especially French Cuisine...good luck with your relocation

Hi Jaynee, my location is west out of Malaga, past Cartama a bit then head north past Pizarra. You anywhere near?
Loved France and had to re learn some cooking skills after several years there. The average French housewife (probably Spanish as well) could teach a lot of English professional chefs a thing or two about the culinary arts....in Europe, mealtimes are an experience, not just a function.
Things in France were deemed to have turned full circle for me, hence the move to Spain....lovely part of the country near the Pyrenees though and fantastic regional food.
SM.

Hi again
Arr I see, I know where Cartama is, we are the other side, Torre del Mar and Velez Malaga region, then look for the highest mountain and travel 35 mins to the top ha ha
All the best..

jaynee wrote:

Hi again
Arr I see, I know where Cartama is, we are the other side, Torre del Mar and Velez Malaga region, then look for the highest mountain and travel 35 mins to the top ha ha
All the best..

Hey jaynee - Torre, Velez - and high mountains?  You have to mean Maroma - but I doubt you live on top of that :D

Maybe Canillas or Comares?

Shantyman wrote:

Hi Jaynee, my location is west out of Malaga, past Cartama a bit then head north past Pizarra. You anywhere near?
Loved France and had to re learn some cooking skills after several years there. The average French housewife (probably Spanish as well) could teach a lot of English professional chefs a thing or two about the culinary arts....in Europe, mealtimes are an experience, not just a function.
Things in France were deemed to have turned full circle for me, hence the move to Spain....lovely part of the country near the Pyrenees though and fantastic regional food.
SM.

Spent some time aroud the Alora area - even thought of living there permanently - but months in Coin and the Alhaurins decided us against that area.  You are right about the cooking - my 80 something Spanish neighbour is a class cook :)

Hi Rough Sea in the Med
Maroma mountain? Is that the snow capped mountain?
Well its snow capped at the moment..
No.. dont live on that one ha ha
Jaynee

jaynee wrote:

Hi Rough Sea in the Med
Maroma mountain? Is that the snow capped mountain?
Well its snow capped at the moment..
No.. dont live on that one ha ha
Jaynee

Yup, Maroma, the highest mountain in Malaga province that also seems to be in Granada :D  The first one to always get the snow, and the last one to lose it, usually around April :)

Hi roughseainthemed (couldnt you have chosen a shorter name - i'm splitting my nails here..)  so.. you dont live in Gibraltar then? Are you near Coin then now...

I have been known to accept roughseas :)

Started off in Coin, (story on my first blog about villa from hell), later moved to near torre and velez so I'm sure I'll know roughly where you are, needed to work so then Gib :)

I am sort of near Comares, where the electricity trips some 5 times a day, would love to know if anyone else electric trips off around there, sometimes it doesnt trip and is just off for a few minutes, but most of the time it trips, and its not appliances they have been checked... :( and internet is via movistar dongle only, and its sooooo slow.. on the plus side  yoigo works well in smartphone for internet. :o

Hi I am Nick. I came to Malaga 3 months ago and would like to meet people other than work mates. I live in the centre of Malaga, near the Vialia/Maria Zambrano train station.

Hi Nick..
So what brings you to malaga? Are you enjoying it?
Are you from Uk? I know of a Nick Cassidy from Lincs

Hi Jayne, I got transferred over here with my work. No, I'm not from Lincs, I'm actually from N Ireland but it wasn't on the list. The first few months I've been busy getting sorted with my flat and things. But I'm up and running now and want to get out and explore a bit and meet people.

What brings you here? Have you been here long?

Hi Nick, been here since 2007 on and off and permanent move was in 2009.... Always like it around here, its alot different to live here all the time though, not much work etc..

Hello
Im Spanish girl interested and motivated to meet new people in the city and make exchange and friendship
I lived in Europe some years ago and Canary Islands(Fuerteventura).
I,m friendly and extrovert, easy going
I,m able to speak a little in French and English
If you want can contact me by mail:
[email protected]

Best regards

Hi! I am leaving in malaga and wish to meet interesting people who speak spanish and are honest and easy going. I am myself easy going and open minded.
I speak 3 languages ( eng, fr, esp, ) and like sports, cine, reading, to have fun in general.
I hope to find one of those pearls who can become friends over time.
Thank you and best regards.

Hi everyone :)

Me and my boyfriend just recently moved to Torremolinos, we're a bit of a motley pair though since I'm from Jolly old lincolnshire, UK and he's a brazilian :)!

Any tips for a newbie on the coast? Only just started renting but already eyeing up new apartments in arroyo de la miel, any nice areas around torremolinos you guys know of? :)

Thanks!

Hi Apryl......... Dont know much about torremolinos sorry, cant help you there, I do know alot about Lincolnshire ha ha thats where I come from.... Good luck

Hi Apryl,

You should start a new topic on the Malaga forum. :)

Hi, I am from India and working in Malaga since more than an year..looking for friends and learning Spanish...anyone staying in the city centre?

Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum, -  I have recently moved to Torremolinos, near Malaga. Originally I am from Germany but I have lived in different places before (that`s what I like), - and you could say I speak Spanish somewhat. Anyway, is there an expat meetup / group meeting near or in Malaga? Would be nice to have an exchange of info and opinion once in a while          Email:  [email protected]

Hello,

My Name is Bernardo and iŽm from Spain.

I saw your e.mail address at extap blog ... so i decide to talk to you.

Im interesting to know diferent people to practice my english

You with me can learnt spanish and to know my friends and why not to know better malaga

i would like to hear news from you

Thanks for Your time !!

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48505

______

Hola,

Mi nombre es Bernardo y soy español

he visto tu anuncio en extablog y me he animado a escribirte

estoy interesado en conocer a personas diferentes de otros paises para practicar mi ingles

si quieres, tu puedo enseñarte español , que conozcas a mis amigos o por que no mostrarte málaga

me gustaria saber de ti

gracias por tu tiempo

un saludo !!

klari wrote:

Hi,
I'm in the Marbella/Estepona area and am looking for ways to get to know more people but not finding it easy.  I speak English and Spanish and am fairly sociable.  I can't join daytime things 'cause I'm at work.  Anyone else out there in the same boat?

ber27 wrote:

Hello,

You with me can learnt spanish and to know my friends and why not to know better malaga

Thanks for Your time !!

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48505

______

Hola,

estoy interesado en conocer a personas diferentes de otros paises para practicar mi ingles

si quieres, tu puedo enseñarte español , que conozcas a mis amigos o por que no mostrarte málaga

me gustaria saber de ti

gracias por tu tiempo

un saludo !!

my e.mail addres is breinab_88 ( a) hotmail.com

klari wrote:

Hi,
I'm in the Marbella/Estepona area and am looking for ways to get to know more people but not finding it easy.  I speak English and Spanish and am fairly sociable.  I can't join daytime things 'cause I'm at work.  Anyone else out there in the same boat?

ber27 wrote:
ber27 wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for Your time !!

klisa contact with me in my email address please

breinab_88 ( A ) hotmail.com

______

Hola,

me gustaria saber de ti

gracias por tu tiempo

un saludo !!

my e.mail addres is breinab_88 ( a) hotmail.com

klari wrote:

Hi,

Expat.com wrote:

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Malaga :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Malaga??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I live in Alhaurin de le Torre. I have found the easiest way to make friends is frequest the same bars, shops etc. and try to communicate in Spanish. The local people are very friendly and always stop when I'm out walking my two dogs, even men on horseback stop to shoot the breeze.

hi nick i would also like to make some new friend i live in toremolinos a am a chef

hi im also from toremolinos and looking to make some good friends