Moving to Puerto Rico

I am an Oregonian who is and desperately wants to move to Puerto Rico by the end of summer 2010, I have been searching and searching for any information, a relocation program or packette, the right place for me and my daughter where there is a lower crime rate, some city aspects at least within a 30 minute drive, low rent, near the ocean, and where I can find a job in the food service industry. Can anyone give me an idea of where the best resource is in and for Puerto Rico transplants from Oregon. I also want to make friends with people in Puerto Rico before we arrive. Help. Please. lol. Cant wait to get there, I dream of it every day!........
Tami

Did you read what I answered to Maravillo?  It's here: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17754

Without a financial buffer and/or a job I wouldn't think of moving here (or anywhere for that matter)

Thank you for the link to your previous reply to another adventurous soul. I am in full realization that nothing worth anything is ever easy. But still what I am looking for is a group, or an organization that is available to facilitate the acquisition of information, networking, creating links with property managers, job listings etc... . What is the job market for resort areas, Hotel restaurants etc.? Diners, Inns, and B&B's? And how do I go about reaching these establishments? Or actually what is the best way to find a listing for them? I work in the food service industry and want to continue to do so. My goal is to find a Chef who is willing to take on someone she/he can or will want to work with and train in the art of culinary excellence. As far as being able to come there for a visit to test the waters so to speak, that is not a possibility for me. 

Not giving up!

Puerto Rico bound... Tami

tamiann wrote:

What is the job market for resort areas, Hotel restaurants etc.? Diners, Inns, and B&B's? And how do I go about reaching these establishments? Or actually what is the best way to find a listing for them? I work in the food service industry and want to continue to do so.

What about Google? :)

For instance:

http://www.google.com/search?q=job+listing+puerto+ricohttp://www.google.com/search?q=hotel+puerto+rico

Still, unless you have skills and/or experience that is in demand, I don't think you'll be able to get a job without showing up for an interview. Also, there is a lot of competition of locals who are in need of a job. The unemployment rate is high; even higher after the governor fired close to 20.000 people.
Do you speak Spanish? Although you may be able to get along without it in the tourist areas, it's a lot better if you are fluent in the local language.
What about your daughter? Is she in a school going age? On public schools Spanish is the language. There are some private schools where English is spoken but unless you're able and willing to spend hundreds of dollars in tuition monthly, a public, Spanish speaking school would be where she would be going to.

tamiann wrote:

My goal is to find a Chef who is willing to take on someone she/he can or will want to work with and train in the art of culinary excellence.

Without a culinary arts degree you won't have a change, sorry..

tamiann wrote:

As far as being able to come there for a visit to test the waters so to speak, that is not a possibility for me.

Hmmm... if that also implies that you don't have a financial buffer which will allow you to live here for a couple of months without income, I would strongly recommend to put your plans on ice until you have that organized. You'd need a couple of months to get your stuff organized: find a place to live, get a car and most important of all, get a job.

Have you ever been here? Why do you want to move to PR?

Yes I have been googling.. was hoping to find a more direct route. School is not an issue where my daughter is concerned. My plans to move to PR are for the end of summer, so by that time I will be a little more financially prepared. Putting plans on ice? not even an option! I have always dreamed of living somewhere tropical, everyday of my life it seems. I have decided that there is no time like the present. I am in my 40's, my kids are almost all raised and it is time for me to get back to my quest for the life I have always dreamed about. I know that it will be very hard work, I know that it wont be easy, but I also know that through my hard work and drive that I can do it. It's up to me. So right now I working diligently on making connection and finding a network of people with whom I can gain knowledge from and possibly even add to my list of friends.
I will continue to push forward and keep moving in the direction in which I seek, I am most definitely PR bound.
I dont believe that I will need a certificate or a degree to get me into a culinary work environment. I have been working in restaurants for many years, though I am seriously considering returning to school to 'finish' my culinary degree, I am looking for a fit for me where I can continue my life experience, of learning 'on the job'.
Thank you for your feed back... I hope you keep it coming. What do you do in PR? How long have you been there? The language.. I am working on getting one on one lessons and will be working hard to be at least somewhat conversational by the time I get there : )

tamiann wrote:

Thank you for your feed back... I hope you keep it coming. What do you do in PR? How long have you been there? The language.. I am working on getting one on one lessons and will be working hard to be at least somewhat conversational by the time I get there : )

Well, you seem determined. :)
Just wondering, how can you decide to go live if you haven't been here? It's very different from anything you know, a complete different society, a different culture, a different language.

I've been here for almost 10 years and I own and manage a small computer service company. We install and maintain computer equipment and networks for small/medium businesses and dept. stores. We also design, code and host websites, not only for Puerto Rican clients.

Well, you seem determined. 
Just wondering, how can you decide to go live if you haven't been here? It's very different from anything you know, a complete different society, a different culture, a different language

I am determined :D
I can decide to live there, because it is different from anything and everything that I know, it is a different culture and a different language, a different way of life. I have dreamed, for what seems like my entire life, to live in a place like Puerto Rico. The Caribbean Ocean, the rain forest, the mountains, the temperatures, and the culture, are things I have craved for as long as I can remember. I am not one to "test the waters" so to speak. It's all or nothing, and for me and PR - it's all! :)
  So on that note, everyday I will be exploring every aspect, every possibility, every avenue that will get me where I want to be and I will do it with intense determination! I believe that if I wish it, dream it, and work hard enough for it, it will become my reality. I also know that it will be hard work, and an adjustment, I say... there is no time like the present. Again, thank you for your response and questions. What was it that made you want to live in PR? Being there for 10 years must mean that you love it there.

Well then, good luck and I hope you'll make your dream come true.

I moved here because my wife is Puerto Rican. :)
After we explored a couple of countries where we could live the choice for PR was easy.

The best place to live would be Ocean Park, Condado or Isla Verde. All are on the coast and lots of restaurants. Its a bit more expensive than the rest of San Juan but Isla Verde and Ocean Park you can sometimes find some good deals. For example, I live on the beach for 1K a month for a two bedroom secured parking building. Its very safe so far and I can walk to the beach. Its has been difficult or me to find friends because I travel so much so its really my fault. Other friends of mine that have joined salsa classes have found lots of friends both expats and Pueroricans. Good luck!

Tamiann,

I wish you the best! We are also moving to PR... Gary, I appreciate your honesty, you have given her very good advice. It can be extremely challenging without family there. Fortunately, my husband has plenty in Yauco!!! I am sure it can be done, just plan very carefully and continue to research.... Let me know how your move goes! Blessings

Oh, sure it can be done. If you plan carefully before you board a plane you can make it.

Yauco, huh? Nice town! I have a couple of clients there and always love the visit. There a nice panaderia (sandwich shop) in town where I stop for lunch when I have time.
Thinking about it, it's about time for a trip to the south-west! :D

Yes, it sure is a nice place! We have visited his family as often as possible (just got back Monday in fact). Oh the food! All I know is we will never go hungry! It is plentiful... You should take a trip over there! Thanks for all the good information you give, it is helping me tremendously! I read one of your other posts about the 20 second commute! LOL Thanks for the laugh as it is a medicine! Blessings

dear tamiann.  Don't know if you moved down here, if you did then is this still a dream?  If not and you are seeking information then please email me.

Peter

The food is really crappy here and extremely limited. There are beautiful ingredients but all any "Comida Criolla" uses are viandas (root vegetables - yucca, Name, Yautia; plantanos and guineos; onion; garlic; green cooking peppers). You will not get hired making any creative food because people here don't want and don't eat it. Meat with bone bits and tendons and stuff like ears and stomach linings (cuajito) and dried salted fish are the diet. There is nothing green - a salad consists of iceberg lettuce and a bad, unripe tomato slice. Sorry. Food and how people treat animals are the two huge disappointments. I've got more on food and work and daily life on our blog thekrusechronicles.blogspot.com

Hey!

i'm a French student living in PR since 1 month. I trully think that u can easily find a job in food industry cause there're a lot of restaurants, fast food, hotels..etc
Don't worry about your safety. PR is not really dangerous, the crimes concern people of the "drug business". If you stay away from that , you will be fine.
In SJ, the best places to live are Condado and Isla verde, the turistic spot where you can have a good time and very near from the Ocean, beach, restaurants, bars...

I cannot tell you more cause i arrived just a month ago, but if you have questions, don't hesitate!
When do you plan to come over here?

SEE U

Wow! Seems like I wont be the only newbie in town then...:cool: though i am not into the food business and will be pretty much alone i hope to catch up with some of you once I am onsite!

You are moving from Grenoble to PR?  I can certainly understand if you don't like the cold, but you will be in a shock when dealing with the infrastructure.  I have been to France number of time including Grenoble, and personally I would not move out from there :)  But that is your choice.

In Isla Verde and Condado you will meet many foreigners, and I know few French who live there, so your country folk are here.  Another good place to meet outsides is at UPR, where many faculty are from outside.  That is if you will seek such contacts. 

Check this link out for some helpful hints on legalities etc.

Best of luck,

Peter

PS: jobs in PR are difficult to come by.  Government is letting people go and public sector jobs are in jeopardy.  This means that competition for private jobs is significant.

Hey Peter

I  moved from France to PR one month ago,and i'm not very in shock with the infrastructures, excepting the lack of public transportations...But many people said me the same thing "  how can you leave France" LOL.
I live in Isla verde, and it's not really "exotic" for me, it seems to the US with less organization lol

The most difficult thing for me, is to meet people to hang out regularly, make activities,talk etc... you know...Cause i'm student but i'm in a trainee in a company where most of people are older and spend their time with their wife/husband.
During my past internships abroad i met people very easily, but i think here people i met (not o generalize to all people)  , easily speak to you, they're very nice...but they already have their friends lol.
HOWEVER i have some "friends" and  i love PR, very enjoyable, even for a french lol.

It is clearly easier when studying in the UPI.
Lilo

Lilo973 wrote:

i'm a French student living in PR since 1 month. I trully think that u can easily find a job in food industry cause there're a lot of restaurants, fast food, hotels..etc

With all due respect, have you tried to GET a job in a restaurant, fast food place or hotel?

It's not easy, not even for locals. Too many jobless people - every job gets a huge amount of applicants and being a foreigner doesn't help, unless your language skills (next to Spanish, of course) are in demand.

HI GARY!!

I think " HI" or "HELLO" would be appropriate...but it's up to you ;)
Before answering, i asked to nearly 10 locals...not to say wrong things, cause i know that as a new immigrant, i'm not able to answer by myself and to know the island job market...

No matter, we are here to help people like me who are looking for informations about PR, not to say " You r right or wrong u know" , You can just say " Hi Lilo, to my mind, it's more difficult that you may be thinking"...

it was Nice talking to you
Lilo :)

Oh, sorry.. Hi!

Since most posts on a public forum are directed to anybody who cares to read, I don't 'Hi' or 'Hello' most of the times.

Tami,

condado is a great city to start.

e-mail me [email protected] i will let you know how it's been going for me so far.

Maybe you want to share some of your experiences here in the forum?

Gary wrote:

Maybe you want to share some of your experiences here in the forum?

Yep, that would be appreciated ;)

HY.I M NEW TO THIS FORUM.I VE TRIED TO GOOGLE AND FIND PEOPLE WHO MOVE TO PUERTO RICO.
   FIRST,I M 30 YEARS OLD ROMANIAN WHO MOVED TO USA 12 YEARS AGO.MY DREAM FOR OVER 2 YEARS HAS BEEN MOVING TO PUERTO RICO.I M FLUENT IN ENGLISH,SPANISH AND MY NATIVE LANGUAGE.THE CULTURE AND PEOPLE FROM PR FASCINATE ME.THE ISLAND RELALY STOLE MY HEART .YES I VE BEEN THERE FEW TIMES AND I KNOW PEOPLE DO NOT MAKE MUCH MONEY,BUT THEY ARE HAPPY AT HEART.
  IM MOVING THERE NEXT YEAR WHEN I FIND A JOB.I M GOOGLEING ONLINE AND SINCE I HAVE FEW YEARS IN INSURANCE AND CUSTOMER SERVICE ,CALL CENTER I HEARD JOBS ARE STIFF BUT NOT IMPOSIBLE.I HAVE ALSO A YEAR OF COLLEGE,BUT THINKING OF CONTINUIING MY ONLINE DEGREE.
   I WANT TO TRAVEL ALONE OR/ AND FIND A ROOMATE OR A SMALL STUDIO FOR THE BEGINNING.I MIGHT LOOK FOR A FRIEND TO ROOMATE WITH,BUT I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF ANY OF YA ARE EXCITED ABOUT MOVING TO PUERTO RICO ! I KNOW I WILL BE MOVING THERE AS SOON AS I FIND A JOB.I KNOW IT MAYBE HARD BUT NOT IMPOSIBLE.ANY OF YOU MOVING SOON ? HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT IT ? I HOPE I M NOT CRAZY OR UNREALISTIC ABOUT THIS DREAM.:)

if you are so set on your dream then follow it!  it seems that you are doing the right thing about first making sure that you have a job.  best of luck!

Yes i am .I just needed some feedback on how hard was to estabilish job wise in PR.

It won't be easy to get a job. There are not many job openings and not being a local makes it more difficult. Another hurdle will be that you're not here and because of that not available for a short term interview.
Nothing is impossible though - keep trying and maybe you'll get lucky.

So you advice me to be able to move before the interview ? How about online jobs ? I will make another trip in coupel of month anyway...i sually go to San Juan or Ponce.

do not move to pr unless you got a job!  there is likely not much in terms of online job applications.  however some things are searchable.

Do you mean i shouldnt online to find a job ? I mean there are few positions i seen in customer service and sales field ? What other option would be ?
   I mean i just sent a resume to one company yesterday,its an american company in Puerto Rico

Hello Rumana.

You could maybe also try to post in the Classifieds Puerto Rico -> Jobs section?

Wishing you could luck in your research
Arlette

I wouldn't move here (or to any other country for that matter) without either a job or enough money to live for a year or so.

Trying to get a job while you're not here is very difficult, unless you have very special and rare qualifications that are needed for a job.

The economical situation isn't very good and if you would move without a job and without a financial buffer you might get in problems.

If you plan to visit PR in a couple of months you may try to get some job interviews during your time here.

Where thank you for advice.I know it will be hard.I actually moved on my own from Europe to USA and it ws terible without any family or a vehicle,or even a job,i just had couple of friends.
  However most of places need a resume,so i can post it online i guess or bring it with me in vacation.I ve been mostly to Ponce and a little bit in San Juan.
   I ve seen however that there are different backgrounds in PR/How about hotels and call centers ? San Jan is expensive i know but could be a little more jobs i think.

tamiann wrote:

I am an Oregonian who is and desperately wants to move to Puerto Rico by the end of summer 2010, I have been searching and searching for any information, a relocation program or packette, the right place for me and my daughter where there is a lower crime rate, some city aspects at least within a 30 minute drive, low rent, near the ocean, and where I can find a job in the food service industry. Can anyone give me an idea of where the best resource is in and for Puerto Rico transplants from Oregon. I also want to make friends with people in Puerto Rico before we arrive. Help. Please. lol. Cant wait to get there, I dream of it every day!........
Tami

Hi if you're not a pretentious racist and wanna be pampered white american you're welcome to puerto rico we're humble friendly people and you would have to adjust to being here without the comodities of the states and I don't care about my spelling in english being right since im here in pr and you should start learning spanish por que nosotros no nos vamos a rebajar solo por que eres de estados unidos

Hey Perlamaria, relax...

pues si entiendo su punto de vista

Hello Perlamaria, welcome to Expat.com :D
If you wish to correspond in Spanish, you might want to check out our Spanish speaking forum for Puerto Rico.
Maybe you can even inform newcomers on that forum if they have questions about Puerto Rico, as I see that you are a native.
Cheers
Arlette

Actually perlamaria touched on something very important that should be mentioned more on this blog. There is a very real problem where outsiders come to live in PR and astoundingly(to me anyway)they treat the native PRs as inferior and do show a racist attitude. There is also a problem with people throwing their weight around and being demanding because , after all PR is a territory of the US, and my wife has actually had people tell her "we own you". And yes the people on the island are for the most part humble and friendly. But everyone has a limit to their tolerance of ignorance and bad manners. The biggest suggestion I hear to newcomers is to learn the language. It's a good start. But try to learn the customs and practice good manners as well. The way I look at it is that despite the fact that PR is a territory of the US it is first and foremost a country that belongs to the people who are from there. When I move there I will always be mindful that no matter how long I am there I will always be a guest of the Puerto Rican people. Which means that that it is my responsibility to adjust to them, not the other way around. So if any of you ever move there please make the utmost effort to understand that they don't always do things the way you are used to or the way you think they should. Just be humble and tolerant.

Gregg

You got a point there, Gregg. I've been living in a couple of countries and I always learned the language and I always keep in mind that I'm a guest and if somebody has to adjust it's me and not the locals who are my hosts.

I've been here for 9 years now and I made some very good friends and my in-laws are closer than some of my real family members back in Europe.

When people ask me where I'm from, my answer is Puerto Rico (or Juncos, like I told the police officer that stopped me today :) ) and when they want to know more I might tell that I'm originally from Amsterdam in the Netherlands.

It all depends how you are planning to live here. Are you going to be an expat and stay here for three, four years, living in a fancy gated community and spending your free time and weekends in classy places with lots of non-locals? You'll never get accepted and maybe you don't even care and have already your next station in mind.

Or, are you here to stay and are you going to live in a town or (like me) in a barrio with Puerto Rican neighbors and have a Medalla or two in the local bar at night and chat some with the people from the neighborhood. if you behave friendly and humble you'll never find a better place to live. Puerto Rico rocks!
I've been in this barrio for 8 years now and I have no plans whatsoever to move from here. This is home!