Living in Papua New Guinea

Hi folks,

Can anyone with information on living in PNG assist me? I would like to know if it is worth entertianing a job offer there. What is the standard salary for a Communications Engineer.  Is it considered a high risk place and would you recommending moving the entire family there-4 kids under 11.

Many thanks,
Andrea

Greetings -

I lived in Papua New Guinea for two and a half years...this little story might give you some insight to PNG life:

http://www.mytropicalescape.com/2007/07 … -your-head

Will you be living in Port Moresby, Goroka, Lae? Have you lived overseas before?

Feel free to email me off the contact form on my site.

Mark

You must be joking.  I lived there for 6 years and had three friends murdered

How safe is PNG to live in? Especially when you are planning to live with your family

Hi everybody,

I ask myself the same question. Excepted for me, I have not children. I am going to join my boyfriend there for his job.
What kind of job can you to find there? is it easy?

See you
pascaline

Pascaline!
I live here in Port Moresby for more than 3 years.
Security is worsening, life is becoming more and more expensive, but there is movement here ...
You will certainly find something to do if you have the right connections with the international community... or if you want to do voluntary work.

However, Working Visa might be an issue. Some employers might help you get it, some not.
good luck !!!

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I have seen that you're Moroccan. Do you speak French?
What are you doing exactly as job? You work  for an international organization. Which kind?

See you later
Pascaline

i will move to PNG soon with my 4 yo kid. my hubby is there. can somebody tell me where should we live for most safest place?

I am looking to take up a contract in Port Moresby end of October.
I have had trouble getting email responses from real estate agents re accommodation. Are there other property agents that own apartment blocks that I should contact?
Any help on safe areas within the town would also be appreciated.
I will need to purchase a 2nd hand vehicle as well, but was thinking I could import my vehicle from NZ. Are vehicles readily available? any good sites to visit to look at them?

Cheers

Dear All,

I lived in Papua New Guinea for some months, but i have lot of my friends over their in "Port Moresby" and other places like Lae, Kokopo, Madang and Vanimo....

To be frank it is a good country, But not developed country, the local peoples in PNG speak the language called " Broken english"

It is not much safer place to live, always we should have a Car and no other vehicles are mostly used in PNG, becos it is not safe " Mostly Held ups and Robbery will happen "

We can get all the food stuffs their not much expensive, Currencies Used in PNG called " Kinas and Toyas"

Think this information will be useful for all, who are all moving to Papua New Guinea

If anyone required more details, Please dont hesitate to contact me @ anytime

Regards
GK

Hi,

Thanks for your info.

ANyway, Is there any any map I can buy in Port Moresby? Otherwise, I do not know which way I should drive. Where can I drop off since you mentioned it is not a safe place.

gk777 wrote:

Dear All,

I lived in Papua New Guinea for some months, but i have lot of my friends over their in "Port Moresby" and other places like Lae, Kokopo, Madang and Vanimo....

To be frank it is a good country, But not developed country, the local peoples in PNG speak the language called " Broken english"

It is not much safer place to live, always we should have a Car and no other vehicles are mostly used in PNG, becos it is not safe " Mostly Held ups and Robbery will happen "

We can get all the food stuffs their not much expensive, Currencies Used in PNG called " Kinas and Toyas"

Think this information will be useful for all, who are all moving to Papua New Guinea

If anyone required more details, Please dont hesitate to contact me @ anytime

Regards
GK

sorry but POM is dangerous at times even I have been shot at but can someone please tell me where they go to get scarmongered? 

EVERY single post on this site is "I MIGHT BE GETTING A JOB....BUT IS IT SAFE?????

There are much worse places in the world trust me....

Hello Everyone,

If I listen to you, you aren't very optimist and not make "feel like" to go there... The problem of safety you can find it in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuala.
People don't live in the fear : reassure me?????

Pascaline

My husband and I are relocating to POM in August. We will be bringing our 2 kids with us (2 and 3 year olds). He has local colleagues over there and expat friends who have supplied us with information. Will definetely share more when we get there. Here's what I found out so far, so hopefully the information is helpful for those who are intending to relocate there.

Accomodation
- The Airways Apartments (next to the Airways Hotel near the airport) was recommended by our company's security advisor as security there is tight and being near the airport is better than being in town where the crowd is. For kids, they have a decent playground and swimming pool. Good facilities with a gym, spa, hair salon, etc. Compound is big and there are lots of families with kids there.
- Most other apartments have a swimming pool, gym and some sort of playground or small garden. Depending on your budget I guess, you can get some decent apartments in PNG that are really nice.
Is it safe?
- Several colleagues of mine have flown in and out of POM and have had no problems with crimes or malaria. An expat I met told me she's been posted to several different countries for work and POM was her favourite. Another expat said COME OVER!!! Its not that bad here!! But you read of the crimes, rapes and killings and its scary. Malaria is another problem. But to put things in perspective, which country do you not hear of rapes and killings? It happens everywhere! Just be safe and sensible, don't go to deserted places at night alone, don't go to crowded and no go zones. Stick to the safe places, where they have guards and you should be ok.

Malaria is a problem?
- My company requires all employees to take Malarone (malaria tablets one a day). They have blood tests once every few months to spot check. Contractors working for our company also have to take Malarone. No Malarone - No work. Spouse and family recommended to take too. Some mild side effects experienced by some (hallucinations, headaches, etc), others are completely ok. Kids take Malarone as well (children have different size tablets).

Angel2baby thank you for your advise above. I am in conversation with a company in PNG about a possible project which will go for about three years and I am considering it for myself and my wife. No children. My wife has lived in Japan for six years previously and I lived in Indonesia up in Sumatra for two years. Any additional advise you can give would be much appreciated. The company will be providing accomodations, among other things, and I just want to be sure that what they offer is in a safe place.

Self is planning to move to PNG- at POM along with wife.
Kids are in University in Australia.
Job offer from  Shipping administration .
Looking for information on Cost of Living , Security, medical
facilities etc for final call to move to PNG.

Welcome to Expat-blog, DBP :)

For info about the cost of living , view the Papua New Guinea forum and read the article "Cost of living in Papua New Guinea".

Regards,
Sheetul

Is there anyone on this site that is on the Exxon Mobil LNG project and has any info to share about living in the camp?

I am moving to PNG within the next few weeks. Can anyone tell me about the accommodation / security at the IEA housing compound in Boroko?

I previously lived in PNG for 8 years in the 1970's and loved it, and have been back on short work visists 3 times in past 3 years.

Yes, it has changed but i would suggest that anyone take the time and make the effort to really get to know their Papua New Guinean counterparts.

Hi Jogo and welcome to Expat.com!

I suggest you to start a new thread on the PNG forum, it may help in visibility.;)

Harmonie.

hi guys..to those who lived and worked in PNG. can u please tell me how safe to live there? my husband will be assigned to work there but i am scared because of the impression i got about this country..pls enlighten me....thank u

what is the twitter account?

guys i need some feedbacks

Hi Glendayap82!

I would suggest you to start a new thread on the Papua New Guinea forum for better visibility.

Regards
Armand

Hi Glen, I lived in Pom for close to 2 years since 2010 and now I've moved, but can tell you in the period we stayed, we often hear of expat friends being robbed, kidnapped, killed, raped, houses burgled, cars hijacked, etc. If you decide to move there, just be safe. Lifestyle is definitely limited in Pom. Even more limited If you want to stay safe. But it's easy to make friends and they will keep you going. All the best!

Pacotte wrote:

Hello Everyone,

If I listen to you, you aren't very optimist and not make "feel like" to go there... The problem of safety you can find it in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuala.
People don't live in the fear : reassure me?????

Pascaline

i am currently living in PNG POM, I am from SA and have travelled the world. U will have your ups and downs, bad place and good places.

this is not like OZ or USA where anything is readily available, its a challenge to live here but if you follow the basic rules. dont go out alone( for a woman ) in the night, and if you drive from point a to b u will be fine.

Be aware and take nothing for granted. you will be fine. i do however miss being able to buy anything I want when i want in what ever shop I want, there is a shortage of that around, though there is a new water front coming in POM.

Yes i have also heard so many stories of Ex pats being robbed and attacked, if u careless you will attract it. then I start to ask questions and find out they are alone at night or running around places they shouldnt.

PNG is what u make of it. there are lots of ex pat clubs here, POM yacht club< car club, Golf Club and car club to name a few.

if you want adventure then come to PNG

I have to agree with brad-o-sarus rex, play by the rules and you will be fine.  Rapes, Murders and carjackings happen everywhere in the world, and quite often this happens to people here in Pom too.  It is important to take things into context though and not be scaremongered by reports of crimes.  Most crimes are against Nationals and are opportunistic in nature.  Whenever I hear that someone has been carjacked etc - I always try to picture the circumstances - and most times (but not all) they haven't played by the rules.

examples:

driving through a potholed street in a line of traffic, very slowly, with windows down or doors unlocked - is not playing by the rules.

getting lost and ending up in a settlement - is not playing by the rules

driving by yourself at night, and stopping for someone on the road - is not playing by the rules

Maybe one day, even playing by the rules - you might be a victim.  But this could happen to you in any place anywhere in the world.

just my 2 cents

Aaron

@Brad-o-sarus-rex (or any other Saffers in PNG) - What is the crime situation really like. I am not squimish, but am worried about my family. If you were to compare life in MOS to Johannesburg for example?

I am considering a very lucrative job offer and with all of the nonsense going on in SA at the moment, I won't need a lot of pursuading...

I intend to relocate to PNG and work near GRAND PAPUA HOTEL. I read some information given by others and I believe I can balance the situation in POM. However i don't see any comments after 2012. Anyway not so far ... how is the current situation in this Hotel area?
Please kindly explain to me
Cheers!

Hello ruwaniliviru and welcome to Expat.com!

As you noticed it, this thread is old. :)
I suggest you to start a new thread on the Papua New Guinea forum with your question for more visibility.

Thank you.
Aurélie

Hi Mark
Im coming to png in july to reconnect with my roots. What's the best way to get from port moresby to goroka?
Feel free to email me

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

@Rochef

For security reasons please do not post any personal contact details on the open forum. Use the PM system for this.

The only way to get from Moresby to Goroka is to fly.

Dear gk777
pls tell me shall i come and work there or not
pls send your whatsapp no.

Hi GK,

I have a job offer in Papua New Guinea just now. The offer is 3000 kina per month for 3 years contract. However, the Papindo employer sent me an email regarding the salary that I will be receiving is only around 47,000 pesos after tax. I just want to ask how much is the tax in the Papua New Guinea? I think there is a huge deduction on my salary offer from tax.

Thank you for your reply.

Tax is around 35%

Hi there,

first time to work abroad... its been 2 weeks since I arrived in png.. if you are looking for job here u can find on, and you can start to save.. but for security reason they say its not safe, we don't go out and stroll in the street,our company provided us a car to transport from work to office, you can shop  n do groceries but never ride pblic trabsportation.

I hope this can help..

hi hello i am planning to work in PNG, my family told me that it is not safe there, i am a first timer in abroad.. i will be working there as a mobile tech. please i need your advice and help me to convice my self and my family that working and living in PNG is safe. i already made my self clear that i am willing to work now in PNG but my family is bothering me always because of the situation there.. please advice ! thanks to all.. from philippines.

Hi,
I am just new joining for this site as well as new moving to Port Moresby - PNG.
Following my partner moving here but i quit my job in my country (Indonesia) to be here and been here for a week now and we plan to stay min 3 years (as per his contract).
Just wonder if you still active here and Would be much appreciated if you can share me some information about job vacant in Port Moresby.

Looking forward to hear from you.
Best Regads,
Jeni

Im Indonesia and living in lae city morobe