Anyone know if driving thru Mexico to get to belize is safe and easy?

Hi,
My father and I are looking to travel to belize between December 22, 2011 and early January 2012.  I am not sure about driving from the Long Beach California thru Mexico to get to Belize. I am hoping some one here has some experience with the trip and would like to share any information on it.  Please email me at [email protected] and I will also keep checking the forum here. Probably moving to the San Ignacio area, but are planning to check Belize out thoroughly before finding a house to rent. My father is planning to retire there starting as soon as we leave and he could use all the information he can get on expatriating to Belize from the US. Thanks

I am probably going to upset some people with this reply but I am going to present you will all of the facts and you have to make your own decision on this one.

No, I would not do it.

Fact: There is a charitable organization in Belize that has truckloads of donations in the United States.

Up to about 1 years ago he had workers regularly pick up stuff in the US and drive it down through Mexico and into Belize.

That stopped because he did not want to put his employees in danger.

There is cartel wars raging right now.

Fact: I have customers in the interior of Mexico that are afraid of driving to Belize. These are Mexican locals that will not drive on long trips. If they travel they use airplanes or First Class bus lines.

On the other hand it is quite possible that you will make the trip and have no problems at all.

The last outcome that i will talk about, is you make it to Belize and it took twice as long as you thought and cost you 4 times more than you thought.

Happy Trails! ;)

Hello

I was in San Ignacio last winter less than a year ago while i was there i met a Belizean man that owned a Trucking Business and he said he used to drive through Mexico up into the Stateslot but he want do it now because of the danger due to the drug wars in Mexico.

David1946

I have read and heard about this fact. It is a shame because if you can't get a deal on a airline ticket, it would be nice to have the option to drive. Depending on the type of vehicle and where you are driving from, driving has the possibilities of saving people money.  What is more important money or your life?  Gee, that's a tough one - not. Life is just not fair. Let's agree that life is unfair, and saving money is not as important in this instance. ~LAN :blink:

Still thinking about traveling through Mexico? ...I wounder how long they tortured them?

Three U.S. citizens killed in Mexico attacks
Reuters – Sat, Dec 24, 2011

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Three U.S. citizens were among those killed when gunmen attacked buses in the eastern Mexican state of Veracruz, said a U.S. State Department official said on Saturday.

The three were traveling for the holidays when they and several other passengers on the bus were killed by gunmen on Thursday, according to the U.S. official and local media.

The incident was one of several that day in which gunmen attacked buses in the eastern state, a major oil export hub that has lately become a flashpoint for drug gang violence.

On Friday, the tortured bodies of 10 people were found in northern Veracruz, local media reported, as attacks in the region intensify between the Zetas gang and Gulf drug cartels.

In September, 35 bodies were dumped along a downtown highway in the Veracruz city of Boca del Rio.

More than 45,000 people have been killed in cartel-related violence since President Felipe Calderon took office in December 2006.

I have done some more research and agree that Mexico is not the best option. I was hoping to haul a lot a personal property to avoid buying or shipping.  I got a quote for $2200 USD just to ship a SUV from Long Beach to Belize. I been looking at quotes for shipping half a container. That is around $3000.  Thinking of just buying a car upon arrival in Belize now. I would appriate any info anyone has on shipping from the US to Belize. Do these quotes sound right? What companies has anyone used and expierences with those companies? Thanks for the opinions on driving thru mexico.
Casey:)