Teaching in Abu Dhabi

If you are a teacher in Abu Dhabi or know a teacher, I am interested in learning more about relocating and working in Abu Dhabi. I am just beginning to contemplate a move. My first concern is whether it is financially feasible to live in Abu Dhabi as a teacher. I am a single woman, so my expenses would be minimal, but I would require a decent life style: nice restaurants, travel, access to pools and or beaches...
Ultimately, however, I would be looking to save some money. I am also interested in teaching conditions and reputation of teaching agencies. Are some better than others?

Hi Barbara. I work in higher education in Abu Dhabi, but I spend a good bit of time in government schools here (done some time in the private ones, too). I also have quite a few friends still working in k-12. The salary range for teachers is wide. I take it you're qualified? Are you, by chance, applying for a job w/ the Abu Dhabi Education Council?

Good teaching positions pay anywhere from 11,000 dirhams/month-20,000+/month. On top of that salary, most teachers are either given a flat to live in or a housing allowance. If it's the latter, it's important to run that by expats on this forum, as Abu Dhabi rentals, though recently on the decline, are stupidly overpriced. Medical and dental are typically covered by a private insurance company paid for by your employer. Generally, new expats receive a furniture allowance, unless the flat is furnished (uncommon, unless your employer puts you in a 'serviced apartment'). Furniture allowances are generally between 20,000 and 30,000 dirhams (on time pay out).

So, to answer your question, if you are qualified and you do land a decent paying gig here, then you can save and enjoy life. Abu Dhabi Education Council can't seem to hire enough teachers to work in their govt schools, and I am told that they are being paid approximately $5000 usd/month PLUS some sort of furnished accommodation. Considering that it's tax free, you could be taking home a nice little nest egg. Provided that you are shackled by debt, you could quite feasibly save half your income each month, and still afford a car, membership to a beach club, etc. PM me for more details if you like.

It is definately  something you may consider - I am a principal at a school in Sharjah and njoying it - contact Alicia at Dynamic Personnell(they have a facebook link as well)she is help full mention that I recommended you, it might help both of us:-) One thing you need to make sure of is that your paper work is done before you arive

Checkout this link:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 4114#77592

My wife and I are interested in teaching in Abu Dhabi. I have a BS in Elementary Education and my wife has a BS in Music. Is it difficult to get teaching jobs? Where would we look? I have heard salaries ranging from $5,000 US/month to $20,000 US/month. What can I expect? We also have 2 children. Would life on them be difficult? Thank you for your help.

Teaching jobs really dont pay that well here especially if you are a single mom...

Thanks

lbarb wrote:

If you are a teacher in Abu Dhabi or know a teacher, I am interested in learning more about relocating and working in Abu Dhabi. I am just beginning to contemplate a move. My first concern is whether it is financially feasible to live in Abu Dhabi as a teacher. I am a single woman, so my expenses would be minimal, but I would require a decent life style: nice restaurants, travel, access to pools andhing job or beaches...
Ultimately, however, I would be looking to save some money. I am also interested in teaching conditions and reputation of teaching agencies. Are some better than others?

My husband and I are looking to relocate from the U.S. to Abu Dhabi.  After a career in archaeology I am now a history teacher with an M.A. in education.  I currently teach at a private Islamic school.  My husband is a librarian at a university.  Does anyone have any advice on job searching for two?  When looking for jobs in education is it best to go through an agency or apply directly to the institution?
Thanks for the help!  I'd appreciate any advice on the matter!

Hello!

My friends just recently came back from holiday in Abu Dhabi and mentioned to me that they have friends out there working as teachers. According to my friends they do not have any experience working as teachers and have managed to get jobs as teachers only with degrees. Is this possible?

Thanks

Lucy

i am a doctor of medecine family i am working now in algeria my degree is algerian how can i have a worke in dubai and is it difficulte to live in dubai thanks.

Abu Dhabi is a fantastic city to live in from that point of view. Rest ofcourse depends on what pcakge you are offered

Hi

I am thinking about teaching in there also.  Would like to hear what you have discovered and see if I have anything to pass on to you.

Arleen

One of the post stated to contact Alica at DP, I contacted Alcia at Dymantic Personal and so far one offer. I am still looking though. She is for sure a good contact and they work very quickly. Her contact information is:

Alicia Nel
Dynamic Personnel
T:  +27 21 981 0305 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +27 21 981 0305      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
F:  0866 193 177
(moderated:no ads)

I curently have my Masters Degree in Education from the US, but with the current ecomony have decided to look for employment overseas. Hope the contact information helps.

Thanks for that!

Hello,

IŽm a spanish teacher women and IŽm currently living in Abu Dhabi.

IŽd like to know if it is difficult to find a job in some school. I work with kids between 1 and 5 years old, but if I couldnŽt find it, IŽd be willing to teach Spanish. Do you know any website where to look for?

If someone could help me, IŽd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Hi Jasun

There are some schools and nurseries in Khalifa city a and B, U can get a job just by dropping and visiting them (if only they have a vacancy). In that area- the schools are new and they have strated taking more and more children so they will need more teachers in the future... I suggest U go and visit them or call them(u can find the Phn no on the internet by simply- searching- schools in abu dhabi') all teh best.. dont forget to drop ur CV. as much as u can..:-) All the best

hi, will be grateful for your assistance. I am a qualified English teacher in London for 11-18 year old. I am desperate to get a teaching/Advisory teaching position in Abu Dhabi or anywhere else in UAE. i have applied to one of the big recruitig agencies, TeachAway, but that's going nowhere. They tell me to just wait. I also have a Masters in Teaching. is there anyway you can help me with advice or which direction to follow. I am ready to make the move ASAP as it takes only a few week's notice to give in at my school here in London. thanks a billion in advance.

kobusd wrote:

It is definately  something you may consider - I am a principal at a school in Sharjah and njoying it - contact Alicia at Dynamic Personnell(they have a facebook link as well)she is help full mention that I recommended you, it might help both of us:-) One thing you need to make sure of is that your paper work is done before you arive

Hi mamijaka,

Did you get a chance to check out UAE Classifieds -> Teaching jobs section? You may even post an ad there yourself!

Hope this helps!

thanks so much. will take a look now

FeeAcer wrote:

Hi mamijaka,

Did you get a chance to check out UAE Classifieds -> Teaching jobs section? You may even post an ad there yourself!

Hope this helps!

I have posted an ad. but do you think there is hope this may get me a job? I have been looking endlessly as I really love the idea to work in UAE but it seems so difficult and I do not see many British nationals for advisory positions and the recruiters just seem to take forever after an initial response which gets one very excited. I just dont know what to do. I am now thinking to maybe just go for the ADEC Licensed teacher job but wonder where that will lead me at this time of year. any advice will be deeply appreciated.

mamijaka wrote:

thanks so much. will take a look now

FeeAcer wrote:

Hi mamijaka,

Hope this helps!

Hi ya, some other mind-boggling questions you could help me with please. After a lot of daily reading, I just wondered... Is the working environment and life better in UAE than Saudi Arabia? seems v strict there in SA. Are the contracts better in Abu Dhabi & other UAE states when working for public schools under ADEC than private or international ones? i seem to read how some employers can be shabby and give not so good contracts or at times do not honour contracts like end of year bonuses.Seems teachers have better contracts with ADEC, can you link me to any advisory teacher (preferably from UK) who has gone through the process and is there now?thanks again.

FeeAcer wrote:

Hi mamijaka,

Hope this helps!

Hello, there. I am new in this forum and I don't really know if there are any specifics rules or a protocol to follow so bear with me, please... does any of you know how to look for a job as a Spanish teacher in Abu Dhabi? Any information will be welcome.

Welcome to Expat.com, Gobeso ! :)

Maybe some of the members on the Spanish speaking forum could provide you with useful information?

Hope this helps :) and good luck!

Have a nice day further
Arlette

I'm thinking about teaching in Abu Dhabi.  Is life quite restricting, or can I have a good social life?

Thanks

Dee

does anyone have an address or website for Abu Dhabi Education Council and something other than skype for Alicia at dynamic personnel...i live in america so would prefer an email address or the name of her facebook page. also are there any job recruiters to get jobs in UAE. I have a finance degree and have worked in banking & accounting...nothing special but would like to see if any opportunities out there for me. I also work as an algebra and chemistry tutor for teens so a teaching job is of interest to me but only if it pays more than 4000 us per month.

Considering your abundance of qualifications and experience.....you're incapable of using the Google search function?

Shame....

I have a technical college diploma in communication electronics, with experience as broadcasting technician (Audio visual), technical information, library multi- media in a university library.
Would anybody know where or who to contact at educational library's? Any suggestions or idea that could lead to something worth while?

Thanks. RichieGee

Hi, I was wondering if someone that has already moved to Abu Dhabi or anywhere in the UAE to teach can answer a question that I have.
I am a teacher in Australia and I was hoping to get a teaching position in Abu Dhabi and move there ASAP. My question is; how long did it take for the school or the recruitment companies take to get back to you about the progress of your application?
Thanks.

Hi Tonsa,

My partner and I are with Search Associates and we have applied to jobs in the UAE through them. We heard back from an International school in Abu Dhabi within a week and had an interview.

Hope this helps.

Hi,
I have a BSc in Botany I am a science teacher in a government school in Cameroon.I am looking to relocate to Abu Dhabi immediately.If there are any opennings there please donot hesitate to contact me through [email protected].
Thanks
Bryan

Hi and welcome on the forum Bryan :)

Armand

Hi
Thanks Armand.
Nice to hear from you.
Are there any opportunities in your country?
feel free to contact me.
Regards
Bryan

Here is the URL for Dynamic Personnel (moderated: broken link) I hope that helps some of you. 

Does anyone in this forum know whether or not it is better to work in a private or public school?  What the conditions are like?  Which has better pay?

Thanks!

[Moderated]

I have just found this site - 48 hours AFTER accepting an Advisory Teacher Job.  I have read through the comments and I have learned so much already !!!!  Thank you to all who have commented - talk about useful !!

Hi wirefan,
Cymru am byth.
l have recently arrived in Al Ain from Warrington U.K. courtesy of my wife, who is also a teacher here.
Do l take it from your name that you are a "wire" fan? Rugby League fans will know what l mean.

Hi climber - I cant believe this !!!!!!  Im a Warrington import as well hence "The Wire" !!!!!  Lived in Grappenhall then Norton (Runcorn) - wife worked at Boteler, I ran the KS4 PRU in Latchford.
I havnt a clue where Al Aain is, and as yet havnt a clue where we will be housed.  How can I get to see Rugby League when there ??  Methinks we need a pint !!
Oh yes, Im from Bangor North Wales - well Anglesey really.
Thanks for the reply !!
Indeed Cymru am byth

Ay up Mukka!

Good luck with your move. l'm only just new to U.A.E myself, in fact l'm only just learning my way around a computer!
My wife has been placed in Al Ain. lt's an oasis town about 100km inland close to the Oman border (beautiful town about the size of Warrington) lt's a little bit different to Sankey Bridges though! There is a mountain, Jebel Hafeet which is higher than Yr Wyddfa. There is even a Rugby club here so you would feel at home here. l've met some fantastic people already and we've both joined the Hash House Harriers. They meet each Monday (ex-pats from all over the world)
l'm actually a exiled scouser. l was deported to Warrington sixteen years ago because l lived in N. Wales (Talysarn) for ten before! lol.
l'll add you to my contact list, so if there's anything l can help you with feel free to ask anytime.l'll hold you to that pint when your over.
Cheers for now....

Hi Bud, well we have received confirmation !!  It seems we are being located to an apartment block on Muroor road (4th street), which is on Abu Dhabi Island where the majority of teachers are.
I dont suppose you know anything about the area ? or maybe someone who does ?
Thanks for the info on services too - doesnt seem to be excessive by comparison to Cyprus which is mega expensive for water & elec !!
Right, im off to research the area - she's looking for shopping Malls whereas I seem to be more interested in bars !!
Anyway, take it easy boyo and I look forward to "bumping" soon.
Tara
Ted

Hiya Ted,

My wife knows loads of teachers who were posted to Abu Dhabi.l'll get on it to see if l can find anything out. One thing l do know is that your wife will find a Mall or three! l'm already "Malled" out. lt seem to be the national pastime here. If shopping was an olympic event................................ l've done enough of cities in my time so the best thing for me about Dubai and Abu Dhabi are the highways back down to Al Ain.(must be gettin' old) l've heard there's more nightlife in Abu Dhabi so l'll let you know when l find out. Hope it's all coming together for you both.

Wirefan wrote:

Hi Bud, well we have received confirmation !!  It seems we are being located to an apartment block on Muroor road (4th street), which is on Abu Dhabi Island where the majority of teachers are.
I dont suppose you know anything about the area ? or maybe someone who does ?
Thanks for the info on services too - doesnt seem to be excessive by comparison to Cyprus which is mega expensive for water & elec !!
Right, im off to research the area - she's looking for shopping Malls whereas I seem to be more interested in bars !!
Anyway, take it easy boyo and I look forward to "bumping" soon.
Tara
Ted

Mushrif Mall (on 2nd Street) and Al Wahda Mall (junction 2nd & 11th) are a 5 min drive.