Utility costs

Hello All.

I have been looking hard through lots of very useful past posts on the forum,but still cannot get the info I am searching for and there seems to be some scary numbers floating about.so I hope some of you can help,I need to find out the cost for one months water gaz and electricity for a very small one bed apartment one person occupying,winter time. Of course I am aware that every ones usage and therefore bills, will be different.what I am really hoping is that some one actually living in that same situation will be kind enough to share the information as to what they are actually paying.
PS,I am assuming paying the higher rate for electricity,and possibly using bottled gas for cooking.

Thanks in anticipation.

25-100 euros a month

one bottle of gas (12kg) at 17euros will last ages (6-7months) if just for hob cooking. as for elec and water i would suggest a 25-35 euros per month as i know a single person who is in a three bed flat and his bills are very reasonable - his works out at 27euros a month but he gets the lower rate so i have allowed for this in the above figures.

Hey,

I can't help with gas too much, but I have a friend who lives alone in a small one bedroom apartment and she gives her landlord 80 euro a month on top of rent for her bills and so far this has always covered it.

hope this helps!

heating with gas is entirely dependant on how cold you feel but a gas bottle can last 1-2 weeks

iamharibo wrote:

Hey,

I can't help with gas too much, but I have a friend who lives alone in a small one bedroom apartment and she gives her landlord 80 euro a month on top of rent for her bills and so far this has always covered it.

hope this helps!

Hi iamharibo - 80 a month seems heavy to me - or is that paid every month winter and summer - e.g averaged out over the year? I am in a 3 bed penthouse and have never paid more than 75 a month (with eco discounts)and there's three of us.

I live in a 2 bed apartment in St Julians. We pay 75 euros ontop of our rent for all bills and so far this has always covered our electricity and water bills (with some change left over)

We always have the air con on and use quite a lot of electricity and our bill has never gone over 75 per month for two people in quite a large apartment. I think quite reasonable :)

We pay the same all year round. At the moment theres two of us in a two bedroom place and we pay 100 a month (Summer and winter) although I think we will get a bit back once the final bill comes in.

My friend who lives alone in a one bedroom place pays 80 per month all year, so of course in Winter she may use less, and in Summer perhaps more. When she moves out she'll probably be in credit and get some returned- hopefully!

Thanks for the reply's ,they are very useful.
I now have a good idea of what to budget for utilities.One thing I have found interesting from your reply's is that it seems quite a few people are paying some sort of fixed amount each month.(presumably to the landlord) is this usual? do you get a refund if you are a low user And have not used the set amount for the month? I suppose one would just have to trust the landlord.

andylad wrote:

it seems quite a few people are paying some sort of fixed amount each month.(presumably to the landlord) is this usual?

it didn't used to be like that AFAIK, but with electricity bills doubling and more in the last ten years, whereas rents are approx the same, I guess landlords are concerned that the usual 1 month deposit isn't sufficient to cover the 3 months or so of electricity bills outstanding at any one time. It may also be a function of the change in typical foreign tenants - 10 years ago, practically all foreigners living in Malta were retired and planning on being here until they died, whereas now with Malta in the EU many are working and might only be here for a few years

andylad wrote:

do you get a refund if you are a low user And have not used the set amount for the month?

that would depend on your lease agreement

In my xperience so far it seems more and more popular to deal with the bills this way and you are at the behest of the landlord - if you trust your landlord then its a good method - other wise ban the cash away in an account and keep it under your control.

and yes the ones i have come across have given cash back in cases of over paying or have kept it as credit against the next bill or have reduced the average monthly payment accordingly.

I agree with George oin the need to deal with the billing this way as bills do seem to be a little eratic just now.

It's definitely not ideal for tenants. For example in our first place we used much less than our monthly bills and when we moved out she kept our deposit AND the difference we were owed. Super annoying. But we are just moving now and have a much more trustworthy landlord who has already paid us back the difference. He kept a record each month of how much we'd paid him and how much the bills came to (when they arrived).

It's kinda pot luck which type of landlord you get though so I think it's important to agree on a reasonable monthly figure so you don't stand to lose too much if they do keep it! Although if they are that kind of person it's probably them keeping the deposit that is more upsetting!

There are unscrupulous landlords out there so caveat emptor...is the order of the day..however they are usually very very nice when you are looking around then when you get in things change - i do have to say that not all are like this....we have been very very lucky so far and currently have an excellent landlord who cant do enough for us.....and we have been with him for over two years now.

A friend had an issue with a landlord when their lease expired - one word with the estate agent, and it was all sorted.

as george has indicated its a good idea to be in a good relationship with the estate agent if that's how you got your property..i have used this before on behalf of a friend and it sure does work.

just an Idea maybe we need to start a Name and Shame thread of those unscrupulous landlords....

I think that's a great idea, otherwise we have no idea what we're getting into when renting! I already named and shamed our awful landlord on the blog, but a thread with a list of baddies would be good. I'm not sure on the legality of this though- could it come around and bite us on the bum?

am not sure about its legality but if its honest and truthful and we are meant to be a forum expanding on our own personal experiences not just hearsay then i see no issues.

What do the admin and moderators think of it - is it or could it be a legal matter for the site?

If I ran this forum, I would be concerned about it being sued - we all know how much Maltese love taking people to court

toonarmy9752 wrote:

am not sure about its legality but if its honest and truthful and we are meant to be a forum expanding on our own personal experiences not just hearsay then i see no issues.

how do the owners of this forum know its honest and truthful ? What happens if someone posts a negative comment about someone purely out of spite, or to hit a competitor ?

Ask the landlord if all the rent they are receiving is being declared to the taxman, and tell them if it's not that you'll be more than happy to do it for them. Back-dating several years of rent could cost them thousands, not to mention future monies received.

That sort of threat has worked for me in the past, and may work here. There's probably just as much tax evasion going on in Malta as there is in most other Med countries. Why do you think Greece and Italy are in such a bad way!!

Pigeon Kicker wrote:

Ask the landlord if all the rent they are receiving is being declared to the taxman, and tell them if it's not that you'll be more than happy to do it for them. Back-dating several years of rent could cost them thousands, not to mention future monies received.

Have a deathwish, do you ? I'd only try that if I was leaving the island

georgeingozo wrote:

Have a deathwish, do you ? I'd only try that if I was leaving the island

So given a choice of being shafted for 1000 euros by your corrupt landlord if they keep your deposit and excess bills money (for no legitimate reason), or playing their game and threatening them with the tax man, you would just roll over and let them keep the money would you.

Bit of a softy, aren't you Mark??

no, I'd see a lawyer if it was 1000 euros, having first asked my estate agent to sort it out - I'd also not let myself get into a situation where my landlord owed me 1000 euros

georgingozo,although I cant speak from the perspective of living in Malta/Gozo.I can speak from my past experiences in other cultures and countries.And I would have to concur It can be very hazardous to confront nationals of any country who have as we might say, unscrupulous contacts.but you are quite right never allow things to go so far as to let that large a sum build up.Move on!
Ps.This seems just as thorny a subject as in other countries,landlords will often see the "deposit" as a payment that they never expect to to be returned to the lessee.

andylad wrote:

countries,landlords will often see the "deposit" as a payment that they never expect to to be returned to the lessee.

In the UK now, deposits are held independently of landlords, with a proper tribunal framework in case of dispute - it seems to work well according to friends in the UK

Yes george, and it is actually very harsh on any landlord who does not conform to the TDP Scheme.they have 14 days to inform the tenant of the scheme (insurance) they have signed up to. who will be holding the deposit,etc.and can have to pay up to 3 times the deposit to the tenant if they don't comply!

look guys bottom line is - if they are bent and are unscrupulous they need to be exposed. this island suffers too much by these guys. genuine landlords and tenants deserve better,...simples really

did maltese people likes turkish foods vegetables spices groceries.any information about  that in sliema ?  and is there a waffle house in sliema ?

random....:D

very........

mmmm....