PInoys Life in PNG

Hi.
I got an offer in PNG. Can anyone share their experiences in relation to cost of living and lifestyle in PNG?
What salary range should one must accept to sustain reasonable lifestyle? What is the estimated taxes imposed by the Government to expatriates?

Thanks.

Hi, what city is the position?  I'm not sure how to answer in terms of Filipino life, but I can answer the tax question.... it ranges depending on salary, but expect between 36-42% in tax!!

hello, sa mga pilipino po, balak k pong pumunta ng png...pero parang nagdadalawang isip po ako ngayon kasi napakadami kong nababasa na hindi maganda ang png in terms of security...talaga po bang high risk mag trabaho dito..salamat po

Hi pyung!

As this is the anglophone forum please post in English!

Thanks and regards
Armand

I have an offer to work in PNG and its around 3,000 kina, free accommodations ( but with no tv)and transportation (the company will provide car and gas). What is the minimum rate there? According to a friend of mine who previously worked there, bottled water is so expensive. Please advise before I take the offer on the 16th of November.

hi did you accept the job offer? coz i am also a filipino and I had a job offer too... but still cant decide for it, coz as i have read n heard the safety and security was really at high risk... i will be assigned in kimbe, but got a family package and medical insurance and housing. anyone, can give advice for the situation in kimbe, is it a safe place, can anyone give me a preview regarding lifestyle there and security. and is there a nice international school because i have a son who will be studying. thank you.

Really cannot tell you anything about Kimbe, but just life in PNG. For the average PNG National life is very hard and in a lot of cases short and brutal. For an expat Pinoy you have to be very careful, never be alone would be my advice, I often see Pinoy women grocery shopping together in groups of three or four. Take care because problems in PNG often get sorted out with violence. The salary sounds to me to be on the low side, I dont know what Filipino salaries are like but compared to expat Aussie / Kiwi this is very low. You would struggle to save money and live a comfortable life. Food is nearly all imported and is expensive, eating is hard to find. However most Pinoys dont spend the huge amount on booze that Aussies do so you may be ok.

Good luck if nothing its an adventure and you can always go home.

pleased advice me how long to process the working visa in papua new guinea, bound to port moresby,  pleased advice .

thanks,

3,000 kinas is about 61,000 pesos ...

One may spend about 800 kinas (or less) for monthly living allowances. If a Filipino is earning less than P36,000 per month in the Philippines and not permanently employed, I reckon it's alright to go.

For security reason ... PNG is just peanut for Afghanistan where lots of Filipinos are working.

Just recently arrived here in POM. It all just sums to one thing,
working here is taking away all the comforts Phils has to offer.
PNG is still going thru many developments at this stage. If your here to
work and save, you can most probably do it. You can find many Filipinos
working here already, and you can meet some of them when you do your grocery
or when you dine out.
Yes, cost of basic necessities here is high but then again, its just a matter
of how you handle your budget.
Mobile network and internet, is ok here in POM.Internet is expensive here, coz
they charge on per MB you used. Still hoping they will offer in months to
come unlimited packages.
Hope i answered some of the questions to my fellow Filipino expats to be.

is there any roaming services for Smart or Globe in PNG?

Only Smart works here. :)

how bout salary tax?

tax goes as high as 42%

i reckon you got your salary offer net of tax?

i'm new in this blog... its great to know we got "kabayan" here.. infos found are great help...incidentally, recently i got a job offer there in PNG... offer is 2.5k USD (nett of tax)+ accomodation company provided (except utilities)... what do think, guys... is the offer good...

This salary rate was before localisation for Pinoys ... I don't think it still exist.

I would really appreciate if some of you guys would share how your current salary in PNG came to be is it based from your previous local salary or your country of origin ...say 2x or 3x...I dunno if the mark up that I put in my desired salary is reasonable or not...:):) TIA

Salary is the base of contentment - meaning the way one should appreciate it and live a life full of satisfaction regardless one's origin and race. If one enjoy life where a person abode now, then amount on pay check is not really the prime issue. Just enjoy ...

hi oz-gee, try go over enlighter's post last nov16, it'l help you decide.. If ur thrifty enough, not eat in those few restaurants here, u would spend only around k500 in a month

hi oz-gee.

this depends on your lifestyle, and what is your agenda here in PNG. ideally,your salary offer should exceed more than half of what you are receiving their in phils.hehe. they usually offer on a net basis here. what company?

Hi people

where should i go to find job in PNG?

hi everyone

I need your inputs on how is it like working in PNG. I am considering accepting the job offer ( as accountant) but got so many questions that simple google search can't answer. So I thought of asking those who are already on board PNG. What are the basic things to consider like medical accessibility, water, security, cost of living and if the salary will be enough to sustain myself...Hope you could help me on this..
Thanks
Iris

To All Filipinos:

I've been working here in Lae for 5 years and I would advise if you have other options to work in another country better grab that opportunity.  I have seen PNG getting worst as the time goes by.  Yes indeed, security and safety is an issue and don't get fooled with the salary offered 2x or 3x of your pay it depends on you salary history.  The USD conversion now is bad, minimum salary entry level for Filipinos is $1,000 USD which is equivalent to K2,400-2,600 or like P40,000 with 36-42% tax, usually employer provides housing accommodation and tranporatation with gas allowance if available and on a discretion of the employer.

To:  Filipinos considering employment in PNG

Salary greatly depends on type of work you'll do (Position) and the Company you'll work for..

Tax is 36-42%, Living expenses may cost you around 800K (Php15-16T) per month to cover food & utility expenses if you're thrifty enough..

If company provides salary net of tax, 13th month pay, POEA mandated insurance, well secured & free accommodation (air-conditioned & fully furnished w/ Wi-Fi)w/ safe drinking water, CP & load provision and free shuttle service for weekly marketing, going to church, etc..then you'll be fine.

A male relative was offered 3500K for a supervisory position in a manufacturing plant in Lae, he accepted it provided his food & utility expenses are also free..

Smart roaming works there..

hi guys,

i'll be assigned in lae city,by next month probably. accepted a position of a store manager. my questions are:

1. are benefits for a store manager usually being offered a free cp and laptop w/free internet or wifi?
2. does a store manager wear a company uniform?
3. what are the other common accomodations provided by employers or what you are having right now? free safe drinking water in the house,tv,with household utensils?
4. are gym, parlor,public pools accessible?
5. is it easy to convert PNG working visa to an AUS visa after your contract is finished?
6. is it also accessible to travel in other countries or obtain other tourist visas easily?
7. how is the working situation there compared to manila? are employees somewhat more free, can voice out their concerns easily to their employer?
8. Do employers prefer expats than the natives? how do the natives feel about it? how do they treat the expats?
9. is it true that there is a conflict going on as what 2 expats have mentioned?
10. is it easy to shop there (food,dry goods,clothes)? do they also carry US brands on toiletries,cosmetics, foods?

Thank you in advance for answering to my queries.

criscol

Guys i need some feedbacks.. How safe is it to wprk and live in png?

arjhayinpom wrote:

Just recently arrived here in POM. It all just sums to one thing,
working here is taking away all the comforts Phils has to offer.
PNG is still going thru many developments at this stage. If your here to
work and save, you can most probably do it. You can find many Filipinos
working here already, and you can meet some of them when you do your grocery
or when you dine out.
Yes, cost of basic necessities here is high but then again, its just a matter
of how you handle your budget.
Mobile network and internet, is ok here in POM.Internet is expensive here, coz
they charge on per MB you used. Still hoping they will offer in months to
come unlimited packages.
Hope i answered some of the questions to my fellow Filipino expats to be.

HELLO,
So how are you doing now? may i ask what nationality is your employer and how is your working relationship w/ co-employees?
How often do you communicate w/your family? can you just buy a prepaid internet and do it at home?
Is your room aircon? do you have a room mate or how many are you living in a house provided by your employer?
More or less, how much allowance do you need to sustain yourself monthly?
Do you go out as groups on weekends only and accompany each other for your different tasks?
So far, have you enjoyed going to recreational activities? how often? are parlors,pools,gym, clothes shopping accsessible?

hoping for your reply soon.

cheers,
criscol

Hi everyone. I am a Filipina and have accepted a job offer as HR Manager in PNG. I was well oriented of the working conditions, lifestyle and expenses, and security issues. I am a homebody, so I won't have difficulty in adjusting with the lifestyle there.

Please share your sights/inputs on my inquiries.

1. My employer said, I can bring my children along after 3 months of employment with them, as they will shoulder educational expenses until grade 12. Shall I take the offer? My sons are in high school and college, respectively.
2. I did not ask and was not told of housing in case I will have my kids live me with in PNG. What can you share about this?
3. Is it wise to live/migrate there? My husband works in a government office, he's worried that he might not get a stable job there (considering his line of work).

Thanks so much in advance.

I worked there for six years and if am on your shoes ... I rather forget the offer.

LJ_gorgeous wrote:

Hi everyone. I am a Filipina and have accepted a job offer as HR Manager in PNG. I was well oriented of the working conditions, lifestyle and expenses, and security issues. I am a homebody, so I won't have difficulty in adjusting with the lifestyle there.

1. My employer said, I can bring my children along after 3 months of employment with them, as they will shoulder educational expenses until grade 12. Shall I take the offer? My sons are in high school and college, respectively.
2. I did not ask and was not told of housing in case I will have my kids live me with in PNG. What can you share about this?
3. Is it wise to live/migrate there? My husband works in a government office, he's worried that he might not get a stable job there (considering his line of work).

Hello LJ,

The offer is quite attractive, in fact i was also offered the same about considering relocating my family but i didnt insist yet coz i have to see it for myself first. well,for sure australia is far more better to relocate your family.
I am not sure of that attractive offer of them shouldering the educ. expenses. what's in return? your probationary ends after 3 mos. ad your contract will probaby end in 3 yrs. as the usual offer is stated, so why are they investing on your children up to grade 12 aside from the salary offer you'll be getting from them. The usual house accomodation inc'l. basic elect. furnishing included + car? unless, they are absorbing you as their regular employee.
You have to investigate further, may i know your agency?
I just accepted the job offer and probably be leaving june or july.

criscol

Enlighter wrote:

I worked there for six years and if am on your shoes ... I rather forget the offer.

Hello enligtener,

pls. share your experiences in PNG. It seemed your wishes were not granted by your employer.

where are you working now?

criscol

criscol wrote:
LJ_gorgeous wrote:

Hello LJ,

The offer is quite attractive, in fact i was also offered the same about considering relocating my family but i didnt insist yet coz i have to see it for myself first. well,for sure australia is far more better to relocate your family.
I am not sure of that attractive offer of them shouldering the educ. expenses. what's in return? your probationary ends after 3 mos. ad your contract will probaby end in 3 yrs. as the usual offer is stated, so why are they investing on your children up to grade 12 aside from the salary offer you'll be getting from them. The usual house accomodation inc'l. basic elect. furnishing included + car? unless, they are absorbing you as their regular employee.
You have to investigate further, may i know your agency?
I just accepted the job offer and probably be leaving june or july.

criscol

Hi, Criscol. True, the offer is very attractive. The 'grade 12' is the maximum level. If I stay there for 3 years, and had no chance of living ther, then all of us will return. I also said that I will have to settle myself first, then consider later on.

My visa is arriving anytime, and was told to prepare because plane ticket usually comes along with it. I am not in a hurry since I am still working. :)

Hi LJ & Criscol,

Welcome to PNG then! Hope to see you there - my fellow Filipina HR Managers, one of these days, will be in Lae by 2nd week of June..

For as long as your employer provides u with a salary NET OF TAX (because for Managers it ranges from 37-42%), transpo provision if ur not encamped w/in company's premises, FREE accommodation (FULLY-FURNISHED solo apartment w/ WI-FI), FREE Utilities especially safe drinking water, laptop & CP w/ @ least 150Kina load - then you'll be fine..

W/ regards to your children's FREE education in PNG, u may take the opportunity offered your employer until secondary school..There's an international school that they can go there, 'though not really that competitive w/ d International Schools here in PI..For college, it's still best to send them here..Just make sure u clear everything 1st w/ your employer & have them included in ur contract re provisions for your children if u bring them there; aside from FREE education, how about their accommodation? Because accommodation, utilities (light & water), internet & food (mostly imported) are VERY EXPENSIVE in PNG..

NICOLE MLA, PI wrote:

Hi LJ & Criscol,

Welcome to PNG then! Hope to see you there - my fellow Filipina HR Managers, one of these days, will be in Lae by 2nd week of June..

For as long as your employer provides u with a salary NET OF TAX (because for Managers it ranges from 37-42%), transpo provision if ur not encamped w/in company's premises, FREE accommodation (FULLY-FURNISHED solo apartment w/ WI-FI), FREE Utilities especially safe drinking water, laptop & CP w/ @ least 150Kina load - then you'll be fine..

W/ regards to your children's FREE education in PNG, u may take the opportunity offered your employer until secondary school..There's an international school that they can go there, 'though not really that competitive w/ d International Schools here in PI..For college, it's still best to send them here..Just make sure u clear everything 1st w/ your employer & have them included in ur contract re provisions for your children if u bring them there; aside from FREE education, how about their accommodation? Because accommodation, utilities (light & water), internet & food (mostly imported) are VERY EXPENSIVE in PNG..

Hi, Nicole! Yes, my salary is NET OF TAX (stated clearly in my contract). The company will also provide transpo service fr house to work (vice versa). I am not clear with the "FREE accommodation (FULLY-FURNISHED solo apartment w/ WI-FI)" and "FREE Utilities especially safe drinking water, laptop & CP w/ @ least 150Kina load".I don't know if I can still bargain with these things as my contract is already final. What do you think?

On the other hand, I am not giving much thought of the schooling 'as of this moment'. I want to establish myself first, then consider my children's schooling there later.

Oh, sayang! I had posted last May02 what's a workable ideal package for Managers, maybe you missed reading it here.. :(

But then of course, you can clarify..Simply say, "How about my accommodation(remember that it should be fully-furnished, verify also if you're alone; kc in our company, everyone's provided with individual fully-furnished accommodation)and utilities (FREE water & electricity + safe drinking water)? Will I be provided with a laptop, cellphone & FREE load (@ least 100Kina/month)?"

If you're given a salary NET of tax but will provide everything for yourself; you better check if you'll have enough budget..

Hi,

I have a job offer to Lae, included in the contract is the accommodation. What do you mean by Hard Furnished accommodation? I have medical insurance by it says that its coverage is up to 200Kina. Is that ok? How is the living condition in Lae now? Particularly, safety?

Thank you & hope to hear from you guys..

NOY

Can anyone explain the saftey status within the cities of lae and port moresby?
i heard from expats there that expats life there is quite dangerous nowadays because the natives dont favor them being prioritized by foreign employers in aquiring a higher position in their company, is that true?

NICOLE MLA, PI wrote:

Oh, sayang! I had posted last May02 what's a workable ideal package for Managers, maybe you missed reading it here.. :(

But then of course, you can clarify..Simply say, "How about my accommodation(remember that it should be fully-furnished, verify also if you're alone; kc in our company, everyone's provided with individual fully-furnished accommodation)and utilities (FREE water & electricity + safe drinking water)? Will I be provided with a laptop, cellphone & FREE load (@ least 100Kina/month)?"

If you're given a salary NET of tax but will provide everything for yourself; you better check if you'll have enough budget..

Hmmm.... they will provide fully-furnished accommodation, transpo service (to and from place of work), and pay utilities. Its the food that I need to provide myself, though they provide 1 full meal at work (for a full day's work). Yun nga lang, the laptop, wi-fi and individual accommodaton - those things I did not ask.

NICOLE MLA, PI wrote:

To:  Filipinos considering employment in PNG

Salary greatly depends on type of work you'll do (Position) and the Company you'll work for..

Tax is 36-42%, Living expenses may cost you around 800K (Php15-16T) per month to cover food & utility expenses if you're thrifty enough..

If company provides salary net of tax, 13th month pay, POEA mandated insurance, well secured & free accommodation (air-conditioned & fully furnished w/ Wi-Fi)w/ safe drinking water, CP & load provision and free shuttle service for weekly marketing, going to church, etc..then you'll be fine.

A male relative was offered 3500K for a supervisory position in a manufacturing plant in Lae, he accepted it provided his food & utility expenses are also free..

Smart roaming works there..

How does a 5,000K net monthly salary sound, is that acceptable? Free accommodation, with transpo service, and paid utilities.

Is that 5000 Kina or US $? Even if it's in Kina, P100K Net is very acceptable already..Pls don't forget that u should be covered by the POEA mandated insurance that I posted recently..