Request for Expat Advice: Life in Jakarta

Hi there, I am a Canadian Expat Engineer currently living in the UAE. I've been approached about an opportunity in Jakarta working as an Expat in the Oil & Gas Industry, in a Design Engineering role (basically an Office Job). Although I'm sure the office position will be fine, I know absolutely nothing about the culture there, the people, the lifestyle, etc.

Can anyone advise me what their experiences have been? I want to bring my family there as well, as this is a long term assignment. My wife is a black lady from Ethiopia, and I also have a small pet dog (A standard smooth dachshund). Will I have any troubles or issues in bringing my wife and pet to Indonesia, and them living with me there? What are the local attitudes there towards black expats (i.e.: black women?) & pet dogs?

What are the people there like? Is there a social life? Do they allow drinking? Are there nice bars & restauraunts that cater to Westerners? How bad is crime there? Is it a major concern?

I just want to know what life there will be like, and if any expats can fill me in. Much appreciated in advance.

I just want to make an informed decision if I am made a formal offer for employment in Jakarta.

Cheers and thanks in advance to those who respond to this post.
:0)

dachshundman1

don't worry... here in Jakarta all peoples have good attitude.
just relax n respect the other

here in Indonesia, we do not make a different, Do not worry your skin black or white... Drink alcohol, of course we allow But not on your car or on the street.
Are there nice bars & restauraunts that cater to Westerners?
yes we have, here in Jakarta many places u can visit

hello there,

actually Indonesian people are friendly and respectable,
hmmm by the way if you are looking a house or apartment to be rented I could help you. I have several houses and apartments to be rented, it is exactly close to the bar and restaurant.
don't hesitate to share with me, please email at: [email protected] or [email protected]

regards,
enhox