Advice for a British Muslim female

Hi all!

New to this site and the exciting world of being an "expat"!

I will be moving to Saudi (Riyadh) in December and have already started to plan things I can bring and will need initially when I move!

I am excited and nervous at the same time!

Advice for a British Muslim female apart from the obvious of observing cultural and religious customs...?

I also want to bring my laptop with me....will it be checked at customs? (Not that I will have anything upsetting on it - apart from music)!

What actually happens in customs? Can anyone talk me through the process please?

Many thanks!

Hi sumiuk,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have introduced your topic as a new thread on the Riyadh forum for better visibility.

I wish you good luck in your search.

All the best,
Christine
--------------
Expat.com team

Hi sumiuk,

Welcome to the club and of course to KSA in near future.

Don't worry about the laptop. Most likely, no one will ever check it. They don't bother families or ladies travelling alone. By the way, things you hear about customs is most of ex-aggeration.

hi,
do not worry about the customs, they do not check your laptop.
nothing wrong happens there.
just dont forget to bring converter for plug :))

Salaams,

Customs is not a big issue.

All your luggage will go through a xray machine, if they have no concerns they wont stop you to ask you any questions.

At immigration in Riyadh, they have separate line for ladies and hence you will be processed quickly. (its never a long line).

Laptop they can ask to inspect...they do ask randomly ...not everyones.

As a Muslim you will be awareof the religious and cultural rules.

Do pack some warm clothes it can get cold towards the end of December and January (temp at night will be down in the single figures category)...rest of the year and day time is like a UK summer.

Work brought us (me and wife) from UK over two years ago and we really enjoy life here. The first two/three months can be difficult in settling down and adjusting to life in Riyadh.

If you have any questions please do ask.

Ws

Salaam!

Thank you all for your advice!

Can anyone suggest what not to bring? I have a limit of 20kg and I dont want to bring things that I can easily buy from Saudi itself!

As a female I will tend to over pack haha!

SaudiUk.....I wont be told off will I, if i have music on my laptop??

ws

Hi Sumik
Welcome to the bog and soon to Riyadh.
I agree with everything SaudiUK has said. You can buy everything and most things in Saudi, but do bring an international plug.
Landing here in December will be mid winter, it can be -2 to 13degress on some days. Music on your laptop is fine.
Enjoy your trip.

Thank you Sparrow!

Im reallllly nervous! Hence the many questions! I wanna do this right and not upset anyone or get into trouble lol!

Overall I am very excited to be moving across! Is there any other advice that can be given in regards to moving across, living in Saudi...things to look out for?

Salaams,
Music is fine no worries.

Please ensure your accommodation is sorted before you come, I know several people who have had a stressful time in sorting out accommodation on arriving.

Just realised you are from Manchester, we are also from Manchester, (lived in chorlton-cum-hardy for 20 years plus and then moved to sale before work brought me to Riyadh)

If your travelling on Saudi Airlines join the airline scheme -alfursan- it's free online application- you get to carry an extra 10kg weight.

This is sooo strange! I'm from chorlton too!! Lol!

The hospital will be sorting out my accommodation! And they're arranging my flight too! So I don't know I'd I'm flying with Saudi airlines! What do I do? Just show the card at check in?

Its a small world!!!

Thats right...print the card ....and show at check in.
10kg extra weight.

We will be in UK for Eid.

Which hospital you coming to?

I am from Cape Town - South Africa. Can someone pls tell me more about this international plug.  We will be moving to Riyaadh in two weeks.  My husband said that the plug i got him is American and Australian compatible only.  I was under the impression that intermational plug will fit everywhere.

Thank you.

You can buy all types of multi-plugs in any electrical store in Riyadh. No need to break a leg looking for an international plug to bring over just to charge your laptop.

Customs and immigration should not be an issue excepting for the large queues that you may find when you arrive. Move to the extreme right and join the family queue which will be faster and more convenient.

Bring essentials only. Everything else is available here.

Thank you, musicman

Hi, we will be moving to Riyadh soon, my husband will arrive in two weeks and my childen & i will only arrive some time end February. 

I would like to know whether it is advisable to freight my own AMC pots (which i love so much:), and my silver cutlery (which im very fond of)

I know one can buy these things in Riyadh but i prefer my own and we would not want to spend unnecessary.  But then again i would have to consider the freight fee (any idea, anyone?)

Yes, you can ship all that stuff to Riyadh without a problem. Freight costs will be the only factor to consider the economic consideration. You need to contact a freight forwarder in your town to find out how much.

Hi Sumiuk,

I'm another Mancunian bound for an English teaching post in Riyadh later this month (November. I guess that I'll be meeting a lot of other teachers from many places but keep in touch via the forum and maybe meet up when we're both free.

I want to bring my acoustic guitar over with me so I'll have to check with the airline.

Cheers

There are lots of Manny's teaching in Riyadh. Both my daughters also teach at Manarat International (Girls) Section.

We call them 'Mancs' over here - maybe it's the allure of little rain in Riyadh given that it rains OFTEN in Manchester !

Hehe! Yeah that'll be great! Hope you settle In well!
I'm looking forward to swapping snow for sun!

I read somewhere that even Riyadh can be cold in December ! No snowballing tho :)

I can handle a bit of chill.....I really hate snow! Pretty to look at....horrible to drive in!

Riyadh temps will drop to single digit C in Jan/Feb although we have never seen snow except for some frost or even hail storms in some years. You will still need a jumper and blanket to keep warm at nights during these months. All accommodations usually provide hot water for washing/baths as they are equipped with water heaters in the toilets and kitchens.

The teaching community in Riyadh comprises many expat communities and it will nice for you guys to try and make friends amongst this group for mutual benefit.

Thanks for that info. I agree that mutual benefit will be important for life in Riyadh.

Have a good day :)

In terms of international plugs what I did was bring 2 of them. In addition I brought 3 local/home town multi-plugs boxes. That way I need only to use 1 international plug in the local power outlet then hitch all my own country plugs into the multi-plug box.

You are more than welcome

That's a good idea about the plugs! Clever u!

About travelling to Mecca and madinah....can I go on my own own or do I need a mehram???

sumiuk wrote:

That's a good idea about the plugs! Clever u!

About travelling to Mecca and madinah....can I go on my own own or do I need a mehram???

Hello, well on this u can go without a mehram since u can sure travel but islamically it's not allowed ,
Anyhow as for ur other Qs don't worry much , about what to bring, that's what ppl do here only shopping lol
Don't want to get ur excitement down but usually Riyadh is boring place for guys , not so much for women since they have access to various places ,
But just chill and relax usually ppl here r pretty impressed by birtishers etc. And treat them well So u would most likely have a good time lol
But one thing u would find so different from there is extrem segregation and racism.

And as for the customs , well 20 years ago they were the toughest now it's one of the most easiest and fastest amongst other counties , so don't worry much ,

For comfort and safety its certainly better to travel with a colleague from work in the event you want to visit Makkah/Madinah although you can still travel alone as long as you have a resident permit (Iqama).

asalaam sumiuk im a single muslim female. moved to saudi a few months ago. its been interesting. lol.
advice for when you arrive. wear your abaya and hijaab in the plane. trust me it really helps in customs especially when you alone. otherwise they will keep you waiting for ages. and greet asalaamualaykum. that helps too because they know you muslim.
ive been to makkah and medina. both without a mehram but dont go alone. its best to travel with someone even if its a female. you better off.
clothes are cheap here. we have all the nice stores. zara, nine west, aldo just to name a few. if you have any other questions please let me know :) good luck!

@ridwaan dont worry about buying plugs 2pins can generally fit in a 120 extention or adaptor. and you can buy some adaptors that fit 3pin plugs too. so i wouldnt worry if i were you. also if you dont have it dont buy it in sa. things are cheaper here. good luck!

pleas remember to join the GCC/Family queue on the far right when you go through immigration which will process you much faster than the rest.

Good day to all,

(moderated: no free ad please)

regards to all

Hey
u gonna do plenty shopping here so pack light, but remember december is cold, if u need any help u can send me a msg.

shy_star wrote:

asalaam sumiuk im a single muslim female. moved to saudi a few months ago. its been interesting. lol.
advice for when you arrive. wear your abaya and hijaab in the plane. trust me it really helps in customs especially when you alone. otherwise they will keep you waiting for ages. and greet asalaamualaykum. that helps too because they know you muslim.
ive been to makkah and medina. both without a mehram but dont go alone. its best to travel with someone even if its a female. you better off.
clothes are cheap here. we have all the nice stores. zara, nine west, aldo just to name a few. if you have any other questions please let me know :) good luck!

Hi Sumi,

Not sure about shy's experience, but what you wear for 6 hours on an airplane has nothing to do with how you will be treated in customs. I have traveled with my wife in and out of KSA and she never puts on the ninja suit until she stands up to exit the plane. Definitely wear it once you exit the plane, but it's optional enroute.

I'd bring extra guitar strings and picks... also maybe an extra saddle peg too (I managed to break one by accident and only picked up a spare when I was back in the US.) That stuff you can maybe get in KSA, but it will be much easier to get in the UK... and it's light so it won't take away from other stuff.

I brought a Brita and filters with me. Those are *impossible* to find here. Most people just buy bottled water.

Good luck!

i dont know if you arrived yet .. but any way .. welcome to KSA ;)

about visiting Mecca and Madinah .. you dont need mehram .. just book the plane and go to jeddah then to meccah or to madinah ..
i really advice you to book for a hotel before you do such thing .. not sure if you can book it yourself ..

any way .. if you need more information .. everyone can help ^_^

37 replies in 2 months.....thats gotta be a record of some sort! :-p
welcome to saudi Sumiuk, any ManU fans are more than welcome out here! ;-)

Hi sumiuk,
nothing will happen at the customs you are free to do or bring any things you like. but for sure you will not going to bring something not legal if you know what i mean.
if you face any difficulties when you are here or you need any help please let me know.