How to make friends in Porto

We have been talking about loneliness when you are abroad, let's now talk about how to make friends (locals or expatriates) when you're living in Porto :top:

Which are your best tips to meet people and to make friends in Porto??

Thanks in advance for your participation

I just moved to Porto 1 week ago and am wondering the same thing. Are there expatriate groups that get together??

Welcome to Expat-blog, Drashelly! :)

You could maybe initiate a get together amidst expatriates. Get in touch with expatriates in Porto by viewing the Porto expat network.

All the best

Regards,
Sheetul

Thank you Sheetul!! I actually thought about that.... that's a great idea!! :)

Shelly

I found that although expats in the area are great, locals are also very friendly and welcoming.  Portuguese are very social. Try coffee shops.  I have also met people simply by shopping and talking.
Welcome to Porto
All the best
Gill

One of the best ways to get involved with the local community is by attending social places regularly. Groups can consist of martial arts, a gym social circle, swimming pools or other less physical activities, such as a portuguese language learning class, or even the local bar. Like "Gillsant" said, portuguese people are really sociable, so whatever you do you'll eventually make your way into a social circle and maybe even start your own.

Good luck!
Rémi

I am taking an immersion portuguse class during the day right off of Rua Catarina, on Passo Manuelos. I am staying with family in Matosinhos, and am willing to meet up on the evenings/weekends to explore Porto with someone, hit me up if your down!

Jonathan

I've been Living in Porto for years and I found it really hard to make portuguese friends. It took me about 2 years to make "real friends". People are friendly when you ask for information or you are there as a tourist but they are very closed. They usually go out always with the same little group and getting in is really hard. A good way to make friends is to be involved in a new activity, as no one knows each other, it is easy to create a new group.

Hey there!

My name is Brad, I am 23 and I just moved here from Canada. I am really looking to have a great time with some fellow expatiates!

For me, I just go out to Piohlo or the Riberia and just meet people at the bar :) great way to strike up conversations and have a great night

me and my husband have been thinking of moving to portugal porto for some time now.  We visit every other year with our children and they love it.  They do not speak the language and Im worried about them starting school there and adjusting.  Has anyone else gone through this?  There ages are 8 and 5 I also have two infants who I am not worried about.  I was born and raised in the USA I do speak Portuguese but can not write it.  Im worreid about adjusting to the move and not be able to help my children in school.

hey,

I'm new in Porto, and I really want meet people to go out to do something!!!  if you want to have a drink one time tell me!!!

see you

I've lived in Porto for abt a year and it is so hard to make friends!! Looking for female friends!! Email me if you are in porto: [email protected]

Hi, meeting Portuguese people isn't hard. We're friendly outgoing people who like to receive tourists and expats and make them feel at home. Maybe the problem is we're acostumed to outgoing people that talk to us right away. So if talk to anyone specially in Oporto you'll be sure to make friends abd go with them to places like dinners and parties. Please feel free to drop me a line anytime to go for coffee or drinks. ;)

My e-mail is. [email protected]

Portuguese learn english as a second language don't worry.