Moving to Namibia

My husband and I (along with my parents) are considering moving to Namibia.  My dad is a Namibian citizen, so all the visas etc. shouldn't be a problem.  We are all South Africans.  What I would like to find out is, is Namibia safe? Is it a place where you want your kids to grow up?  Also, how is the economy - do people battle there like in SA (meaning middle class?) If anyone can give me info I would appreciate it.

Welcome to Expat.com elle1705!

Have you gone through the different discussions of the forum? This may help.;)

Harmonie.:)

Dear Elle,

Things are way calmer here in Namibia than what you can imagine in RSA!

We are a family with two teenage children living here for the past 9 years, and we have just 4 weeks ago relocated our parents who still lived in RSA to Namibia in Windhoek to retire.

They are definitely adapting to the gentle rhythm of Windhoek, saying it's so relaxing and that the local people are very friendly.

They have visited before but state it's totally different to living here. We are looking at Namibia all differently through their eyes again.

But to answer your questions:
My dad is a Namibian citizen, so all the visas etc. shouldn't be a problem... 
Uhm, Immigration in any country is always a bit problematic so call this agency for a no-hassle comprehensive option: MC Bouwer
We are all South Africans.   - They are infiltrating Namibia and immigration is all tightening the screws a bit on the South Africans coming.

What I would like to find out is, is Namibia safe?
Definitely much more than RSA. Like any City all over the World, common sense must prevail with regards to petty theft, but Robbery and rapes and murder is front-page news and the criminals actually get caught and imprisoned. The whole country man-hunts criminals.
Is it a place where you want your kids to grow up?  Yip, drugs and gangs are only there when you go looking for it. We do not have as many Malls and even Cinemas are far and few apart. So kids actually socialize with friends and videos and braais and swimming and cycling and sport. School bullies get exposed and sorted out. Schools have long waiting lists (enrol in September) school year starts in January, places are limited. The schooling system and standard is higher than in RSA  (mostly following University of Cambridge International British Exams)Also, how is the economy - do people battle  there like in SA (meaning middle class?. Basically is a safe environment for kids - you can send a 6year old to the back of the supermarket to fetch a tray of eggs while shopping , and sure enough a local shall not only help the youngster carry the eggs but help find you again as well!

Any more questions?

Daniel

Emce Bouwer's number for Immigration: +264 61 255710,

About the economical situation...Keep in mind local unemployment is about 51% and rising.So unless you create an income or job oppertunities for locals or have a unique skill to offer, it could be tough to relocate. Cost of living is slightly higher than in RSA, especially accomodation, and some local brands from RSA is not available locally as everything is imported, therefore more expensive. So go local to purchase cheaper, and do as the locals do with braais and socials. Meat is way more inexpensive than in RSA.

Regards

Daniel

Dear Daniel,

Thank you so much! Finally some good info! It sounds very peaceful, which is what we're looking for...When you say unique skill - do you mean like teaching for example?  We're living in Dubai at the moment and trying to decide whether it would be worth going there and I think it would, especially when we decide to have kids.

Thanks again :)

Elsa

Dear Elsa,

With a "Unique skill" I refer to [i]"something a local Namibian do not have or specialize in"...If you are a Teacher with Arabic or International Vocational English skills, or a Brain surgeon, or a Life Coach specializing in Children with Autism or ADHD or something like that,really different...it is considered a unique skill.

HIV and Aids are always in demand... and anything to do with children, and languages are an added bonus.

Daniel

Hi there,

Can anyone please put me in contact with an Immigration Consultant for Namibia?  My husband and our 2 children are all for South Africa, and we are looking to immigrate to Namibia.  But we dont have jobs lined up or anything, so we will really be starting from scratch!  Is there anyone that can out me in contact with the right people?

Thanks in advance
Lauren

Hi Lauren,

We are currently using, Intergate Namibia Immigration;

Tel No : +264 64 206934
Fax No : +264 64 206033
E-mail : [email protected]

I don't know if they will be able to help you as our situation is different, but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Regards,

Elsa

Hi Elsa,

Thank you so much!  Lets hold thumbs that they are able to help us out.

x

Pleasure and I hope they do :)