Going out in Glasgow

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Glasgow?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

Ibrox stadium , there are also other sports venues.
SECC , excellent concert hall and annual carnival funfair.
Sauchiehall st , any number of stores , pubs and clubs.
Argyll st , again 1st class shopping ,pubs,clubs.
Byres rd in the west end , students abound , pubs and clubs.
Botanical gardens , free and beautiful to wander around.
Harry ramsdens fish and chips are just outstanding.
Barrowlands a large outdoor flea market every weekend.
Museums and art gallerys aplenty and usually free.
Glasgows Southside, a bit slower paced but 1st class partying.

For a newcomer I would definetely suggest checking out the West End for going out as well as visiting museums.

I stay in the Merchant City so that's the area I know best. I enjoy a walk down through the Saltmarket to Glasgow Green, and I'll sometimes wander into The Peoples Palace and Winter Gardens. There's an amazing fish mongers at the corner of Saltmarket right by the Trongate Tower. If you're near there on a Thursday, go into St. Andrew's on the Square. It's one of, if not the oldest church in Scotland. It's not practicing anymore, but on Thursdays it's open to the public. It's a beautiful building inside and out.
The Merchant City has plenty of pubs and restaurants. I'm a regular in Bar Bacchus. They have a good selection of drinks and the staff are brilliant. Also, it's one of the few bars that are open late on the weekends that isn't a night club. Bar Home is cheap and cheerful. Very cheap and a good atmosphere, especially if you're going out clubbing. Blackfriars has always been one of my overall favourite pubs in Glasgow. It fits my definition as a modern Scottish pub with lots of ales and whisky's and often live bands. The downstairs club isn't really my thing, but it's always busy. If you like Blackfriars check out Rab Ha's as well. Also, at the north end of Lock Lomond is the Drovers Inn. Go there. I also really like Maggie May's as it's open late, but not a nightclub in the upstairs.
If you really want to cut loose, go to the town end of Sauchiehall Street. There are nightclubs of all sorts within a few blocks of it.
Food wise, I'm a big seafood fan. Gandolfi Fish is a great restaurant serving fresh fish. It's bit expensive, but the menu changes almost every day as they get in whatever fish is seasonal and fresh. A new bar has opened up where the Red Lizard used to be. It is currently running a contest to name it. Great burgers and they sell Moosehead! A lot of people really like Guy's, but I didn't really enjoy it, and it's quite expensive. The best traditional homemade Scottish food I have had wasn't In the Merchant City like the rest of the places mentioned here. It was in a little place off Maryhill Road called the Black Sheep Bistro. The food was some of the best I've had, and it was very reasonably priced. I've been back a few times and there's always a warm welcome waiting from Claire, the head waitress. She's the daughter of Angie, who owns the place and cooks pretty much everything. They're good people.
I'll use 5pm.co.uk a lot to find new restaurants. If you book with them, you'll get a deal of some sort at whichever restaurant you choose, but it's good for review purposes as well. I'll also look on Trip Advisor, but I've found them to be quite out of date a lot of the time, as I've tried to find places on their website only to find they've been closed for months.

about all I can think of just now, but I've lived here for a few years. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers,
Alex

:top: