Pet Passports

So a year ago we got a dog from Noah's Ark shelter here in Malta. He's 2 years old, has already been microchipped and had a few shots- off the top of my head i'm not sure which ones. We are thinking of moving to the UK (Scotland) and of course will bring our dog with us but dont really know the legal steps to take in order to do so.

Looking for some help from anyone over here gotten a pet passport for their dog in Malta and move away from the island or just knows about the pet passport here in general.

Thanks!

The rules are changing on 1/1/2012, then UK will no longer impose quarantine on dogs coming from Malta (or anywhere else in the EU) - can you wait until then ?

hi most vets on the island do pet passports and rabies vaccine and blood test usually one month from rabies jab and uk from 1/1/2012 have changed regulations to keep in line with eu...suggest u go on the defra website to make sur u do not undergo quarantine in the uk
maria

I've PM'd you some stuff

Be sure to give yourself 6-7 months prior to date of travel in order to be sure.  With the rabies, you have to have the jab, wait 30 days, have a blood test and then you can travel 6 months from date of blood test as long as the results clear.  If they do change things in January next year you may be able to travel earlier but I would get things going immediately.  Also be aware, you may find yourself incurring lots of extra charges on arrival in UK with pet.  My mum and dad took their cat back to uk, when dad went to airport to collect the cat he was hit with charges for the vet to inspect the cat,(which he didn't), quarantine charges (compulsory even tho the cat didn't use quarantine) and a couple of other bits (including the transport from the plane to the airport building).  It ended up costing them approx extra 400.  Be very insistant about getting final charges from anybody.

Good luck.

ps.  They have now moved back to Malta (WITH THE CAT IN TOW).

Hi, currently living in the UK looking to move to Malta.

We have a 1 year old female siberean husky micro chipped and vaccinations up to date.

What would we have to do to bring her over with us would she nedd to be quarrentined?

Any help would appreciate thanks :-)

Her vaccinations must include rabies.  That is the jab that is always the show stopper.  Currently, timescale is as above so 6 months from date of blood test.  If her passport is valid, then she should be ok to travel with no quarantine.

x

georgeingozo wrote:

The rules are changing on 1/1/2012, then UK will no longer impose quarantine on dogs coming from Malta (or anywhere else in the EU) - can you wait until then ?

Thanks georgeingozo for the info, I received your pm as well. At this stage the move to Scotland is only an idea- though one my husband wants to put into action very much so. If and when we move, it most likely wouldn't be until after January so I supposed that is a good thing :)  thanks again for the info! Very helpful.

lucyanya wrote:

Be sure to give yourself 6-7 months prior to date of travel in order to be sure.  With the rabies, you have to have the jab, wait 30 days, have a blood test and then you can travel 6 months from date of blood test as long as the results clear.  If they do change things in January next year you may be able to travel earlier but I would get things going immediately.  Also be aware, you may find yourself incurring lots of extra charges on arrival in UK with pet.  My mum and dad took their cat back to uk, when dad went to airport to collect the cat he was hit with charges for the vet to inspect the cat,(which he didn't), quarantine charges (compulsory even tho the cat didn't use quarantine) and a couple of other bits (including the transport from the plane to the airport building).  It ended up costing them approx extra 400.  Be very insistant about getting final charges from anybody.

Good luck.

ps.  They have now moved back to Malta (WITH THE CAT IN TOW).

Thanks for the heads up! Since we got our dog from Noah's Ark and he was already a year old- he never was and we haven't tried to crate train him. He doesn't like being enclosed in small areas let alone a room all by himself. So i'm afraid that we will have to drive to the UK- yuck! But at least if we do move and go at a nice time of year it will be a good road trip haha.

I've been looking into the different ferries and their pet rules. So far Virtu ferries allows dogs, but you have to either a) leave them in a crate in the garage area the whole time (€12 fee) or leave them in your vehicle the whole time (free). The bad thing is passengers are not allowed in the garage area during the trip so I wouldn't be able to check on our dog at all and he would literally hurt himself and tear the car apart if we did that.

Its frustrating- we are not leaving him behind- its not even an option to us. We'll just have to find an alternate ferry that is good with pets or else I hide in the vehicle with him for the trip haha

Have you asked the ferry people about a pet cabin.  This allows you to take the pet into the cabin with you so it won't have to travel in the cabin area.  They are a little more expensive but well worth the cost.  The kennel areas are 'not' nice.  They are smelly, noisy, windy and overall, not a nice experience for your pet.  The kennels are also cage size so you will have the same problem.

There are dog walking areas on the ferry, a tad windy but at least you can spend most of the trip with your dog unless you are in the restaurant or shops.

We travelled with 3 dogs (one who is very old) and two cats on Grand Navi.  Worth checking them out.

Good luck
x

Lucyanya,

what did it cost for the cats to come over to malta... not the ferry part but Pet Passport etc... did you go through the whole series of injections etc etc... ??

Just courious as everyone is on about dogs and we have 3 cats at home we would love to bring here

Julian

I think it averages about £60 per pet in the uk.  tbh its been a while since I did the uk one so its worth giving a vet in uk a call and get some prices.  I would think at worst it would have risen to 100 per pet, but it all depends on the vet.

You do have to have up to date vaccinations, rabies, tick/worm etc.  DEFRA or http://www.vafd.gov.mt/pet-animals-entering-malta should be able to give a final list of requirements.  I went through all the hassle and didn't even get checked at Valletta.  Although, I did have 3 dogs, 2 cats and a stressed looking me manically waving passports at the guy.  I think he just thought I looked like too much hassle..grin.

lucyanya wrote:

Have you asked the ferry people about a pet cabin.  This allows you to take the pet into the cabin with you so it won't have to travel in the cabin area.  They are a little more expensive but well worth the cost.  The kennel areas are 'not' nice.  They are smelly, noisy, windy and overall, not a nice experience for your pet.  The kennels are also cage size so you will have the same problem.

There are dog walking areas on the ferry, a tad windy but at least you can spend most of the trip with your dog unless you are in the restaurant or shops.

We travelled with 3 dogs (one who is very old) and two cats on Grand Navi.  Worth checking them out.

Good luck
x

Great info about the navi ferry. I think that would be how we would do the trip then if we go. Much better for our dog and piece of mind for me! Who cares about the extra cost then if it means my dog will be safe and not stressed. Thanks again!

Why are you thinking of leaving Malta ?