Opening a bank account in Vanuatu

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Vanuatu ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Vanuatu ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

Julien

Hi Julien
You can open an account with PASSPORT as ID
You can open an account in 1 day but best to allow 2 depending on the type of account and the bank if you require key cards they have to be made.
Borrowing is not that easy and you will be expected to have a large deposit and lots of documents to substantiate your ability to repay a loan.
All the banks are much the same,I use ANZ as it was pretty easy to link to internet banking with my Australian account.
Having said that we did have some teething problems regarding the internet access and withdrawals in Vanuatu.
regards
Kevin

Our experience was the opposite to Kevin's.  It was difficult to open an account and due to Vanuatu's strict anti-laundering rules, when we were transferring our money over from Australia, we needed to provide evidence of where the money came from (house sales, savings etc) before the transfer could take place.

Opening merchant accounts with one of the Australian bank branches was a nightmare as they treated us as though we were trying to borrow money rather than set up an eftpos facility for our business and wanted detailed financials about our income which we refused to provide as they were totally irrelevant to the service we required, they eventually "made an exception" in our case and set up the eftpos facility, the other Australian bank was easier.

We have dealt with all of the banks here and I would recommend Bred Bank.  When it came to borrowing with them we had no issues at all, the process was straight forward and painless.