IT related job / training / volunteering in Nepal

Hello,

I am a software engineer and I would like to stay in Nepal for 6 months or may be a year. I've already been there once on a week long trip and have some idea of cost of food, drinks and transportation. From the older posts in the forum I get the idea that it will be hard to obtain permission to work and get a job in my field.

So instead of hunting for a regular job, I would rather volunteer in an NGO which would provide food and accommodation for the skills I have to offer. I can help building your NGO's website, setting up the LAN in your office/school, teach your staffs and/or students computing skills etc. I have a Bachelors degree on engineering, so I can work on small engineering projects too.

Training in an IT skill center could be another option. I also can and will gladly teach English or middle school science and math, but I think that requires TEFL and other certifications which I don't have. The best prove of English proficiency is a 100+ score in TOEFL test I took earlier this year.

Given my skills and preferences, what can I expect and how should I approach ? Any help or suggestion on this would be much appreciated. Although I'm inclined toward volunteering, getting a proper job and working in Nepal is still not out of consideration. Thanks.

Raiyan

Hi Raiyan,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Maybe you should contact some NGO in Nepal and send your application.

I would also suggest you to post an advert in the Nepal classifieds > job section - NGO

This might help you.

I wish you good luck in your search,
Christine

There are many colleges for IT. I really think they need good teachers. If you look them up on the internet and send to see if you could get work they will take care of the visa arrangements for you. There are certain teaching jobs that are acceptable for foriegners and IT is likely to be one of them. I also heard that Nepal is one of the few countries that allow teaching without credentials.

Nepal is an amazing place. If you would like the first chapter of my book, Nepal-On a Budget, please send me your regular email address so I can send it as an attachment. The first chapter is free to anyone. The book isn't quite finished but the first chapter will save you a lot and help your trip get off to a great start. It tell you what to bring from home and what to leave, etc.