Is Egypt safe for tourists (Sept /Oct 2011)

Hi All,

I'm planning a to go to Egypt in late October with my family. Will be staying in Ramses and seeing the usual touristic/historical places in Cairo etc.

Was there last in 2006. Now with the revolution and specifically recent events, and upcoming elections? I wanted to know if it was safe for me to go?

Any feedback/comments welcome.

Dear fellow, nowadays which place is safe? What are you talking about?
I do not think there is any corner of this world safe for us. (human being) Just go and do not think what will happen. Go on the hand of destiny and fate.
Happy journey.
Let's move on...

well Starkhan, u paint a very vivid picture :S

dear Subhaniya, ive been to Egypt twice, once in May and July this year, and believe me when i say the media is overhyping what is happening in Egypt atm.

yes, it is safe, so long as u take the necessary precaution that u would take on any travel. it is not a warzone, guns are not rampant on the streets, and thefts are as per the usual tourist spot dangers.

in answer to ur question, no, the revolution in Egypt has not caused the situation to become "dire", people are going about their daily lives normally.

If u'll be in Ramsis, i suggest u pay a visit to Tahrir square, do note that u will be required to provide an ID to be allowed in for security purposes.

have a blast and do tell us about ur experience.

for more info, visit the Egypt Forum on Expat.com and ask those staying there currently, i'll be back in November again inshallah.

Hi Subhaniya...I am a woman and  i was in Egypt beginning of january to march 31st this year when the revolution was going on..i traveled to egypt alone, granted i have many friends and family  in egypt but i was not really worried for my safety during this time because we all knew what times not to be out on the streets etc during that time...but like anywhere in the world you use you're common sence, have fun and enjoy you're time there and yes it is safe :D

safe, life here is going on normally, no obstacles, media is lying upon people, especially, Aljazera Channel... I 'm Egyptian, I eat, read, teach, hang out, get money :D everything is normal here man :) u wll be more than welcome bro :)

legacy wrote:

well Starkhan, u paint a very vivid picture :S

dear Subhaniya, ive been to Egypt twice, once in May and July this year, and believe me when i say the media is overhyping what is happening in Egypt atm.

yes, it is safe, so long as u take the necessary precaution that u would take on any travel. it is not a warzone, guns are not rampant on the streets, and thefts are as per the usual tourist spot dangers.

in answer to ur question, no, the revolution in Egypt has not caused the situation to become "dire", people are going about their daily lives normally.

If u'll be in Ramsis, i suggest u pay a visit to Tahrir square, do note that u will be required to provide an ID to be allowed in for security purposes.

have a blast and do tell us about ur experience.

for more info, visit the Egypt Forum on Expat.com and ask those staying there currently, i'll be back in November again inshallah.

:one
Thumbs up,you are completely right, as I do agree with "Legacy" that the media is overhyping what is happening in Egypt
Egypt was not safe at the revolution time because ppl were dying everyday, but now I can say with extremely large degree of certainty that you will not face any dangers

My advice is to listen to people who have visited Egypt or who are currently travelling there, as these are your best advisors of a destination, far more than well meaning friends or family whose only exposure to a place is via the news.
Am living here, and am not scared at all, as this country never sleeps, and you will find that people are so helpful and kind too

And yeah, when you will be here in Egypt, you have to pass by Tahrir square, as it is one of the most lovely places here in Egypt
Waiting for you as you can join our outings too when u will come here

Cheers and have a good day

Very safe. Even my wife - who is not Egyptian - says the media is really making a mountain out of molehill.

My wife moved in here back in May and we have been living in Cairo and have been to many places (Northern Coast, Aih Sokhna, Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh) and we drove to each and every place of these (this is around 2600 KMs driven on highways) ..... We even had to go to Tahrir half a dozen times to finish residence visa procedures :D

I don't watch the news since the revolution.
And Im feeling very safe in this country. I never had any troubles.

mprier wrote:

I don't watch the news since the revolution.
And Im feeling very safe in this country. I never had any troubles.

Thumbs up ..... no need to feed unwarranted fears

There's only one details about the security

It's on the road !!! But you won't drive and if you cross the street jus tbe confident and the car will adapt their way

Don't be fooled, Egypt is not 100 % anymore. the country has experienced a revolution. The number of people carrying guns has grossly increased. the occurrences of petty theft have almost tripled.

However, much of this crime occurs in poor areas. Touristic areas aren't really much different, and are of course kept safe b/c without tourism, Egypt's economy suffers greatly.

leprechaun1188 wrote:

Don't be fooled, Egypt is not 100 % anymore. the country has experienced a revolution. The number of people carrying guns has grossly increased. the occurrences of petty theft have almost tripled.

However, much of this crime occurs in poor areas. Touristic areas aren't really much different, and are of course kept safe b/c without tourism, Egypt's economy suffers greatly.

Even before the revolution, such petty theft and crime in poor areas existed, but now they are spot-lit by the Pro-Mubarak and Pro-NDP media to show people how "mistaken" they were to overthrow the "regime" .....

You don't walk around wearing a Rolex speaking in your Blackberry in a poor neighborhood ..... and that's a rule of thumb everywhere. In Egypt, Europe and even the USA.

and I agree about touristic areas being safe as usual.

The Egyptian wrote:

Even before the revolution, such petty theft and crime in poor areas existed, but now they are spot-lit by the Pro-Mubarak and Pro-NDP media to show people how "mistaken" they were to overthrow the "regime" .....

You don't walk around wearing a Rolex speaking in your Blackberry in a poor neighborhood ..... and that's a rule of thumb everywhere. In Egypt, Europe and even the USA.

I used to work in Garbage City...one of the poorest areas in Cairo. I never once felt unsafe there. Nowadays it's different. I see purse snatching and people breaking into houses almost weekly. I do not take my information from the media.

leprechaun1188 wrote:

I used to work in Garbage City...one of the poorest areas in Cairo. I never once felt unsafe there. Nowadays it's different. I see purse snatching and people breaking into houses almost weekly. I do not take my information from the media.

Garbage city near Mokattam? (if I may ask)

Anyways .... I don't think an expat would go live there so such risk is irrelevant for expats moving in here ..... Most expat areas (Heliopolis, Rehab, Zamalek, Maadi ....etc.) are safe and sound.

The Egyptian wrote:
leprechaun1188 wrote:

:one
I agree with you Ahmed

don't believe everything you see in media they are trying to over hyping  the situation here in Egypt..its very safe and normal like any other place around the world.

welcome to you

The safety situation is pretty much exaggerated in the press. Tourist destinations around Cairo are quite safe to go by.

agree with u "leprechaun1188" isn't sure safe as before. % of crime and agresivity is much higher. I also don't need watch media (but even media is soft too show reality) and I get atack with stone as jews cow (even Im not not jew), one of my friends (man) attacked by  taxi driver, other 3 people- I know them personaly was attacked and 2 robbed in a middle of day. When I had visitors here from europe I take them also in Giza to see pyramids...even they was shocked by bad behavior and agressive treatment from people there even that is turistic area. Egypt change too much but worse side.

I am so happy to know that Egypt is like so safe and able to move around safely.

Perhaps for men it is safer than for women, but most of women are not feeling as safe as we did pre-revolution.

It's easy to say you feel safe when you are not a target.  Or if you are always in a car.  But for women alone at night - say taking the metro home at 6pm, after dark, it is now an issue that is very real.

If for some, like the wife of the Egyptian, this has never been a problem then I am very glad.  But for me, and many other women it is a huge problem. 

Since the revolution at least 4 women I know of have been mugged, one put in the hospital.  And while it's probably safe for tourists it's wise to be alert.

But please don't say it's business as usual, because it's not.