Rent a flat or a house in the Virgin Islands

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in the Virgin Islands. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in the Virgin Islands.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Which kinds of accommodation are available in the Virgin Islands?

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in the Virgin Islands?

How to find a home in the Virgin Islands: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

There are several different types of accomodations here in the VI. There are furnished/unfurnished homes usually more expensive. Anywhere from $800.00 - $3,000 per month. There are duplexes: (2 units connected together) Depending on how much space and bedrooms they can go from $700-up a month. There are apt. complexes both furnished and unfurnished with the same rents. They also have attached units they call apartments here. In the US they're called: Mother-IN-Law units. Attached to the owners home. They usually have 1 bedroom suitable for 1 person or couple. Have kitchen, bath and combo dining/living room.
They also have studios for 1 person only. Very small. Everything in 1 room. Rent might be $350-$600 mo. depending on where it is.

The VI seems to have plenty of housing at any given time. The best time to rent here is "low season." That is May thru Nov. "High season" is when the tourist season is here and when people from cold weather states come for the winter: Dec thru May. Rents and availability are better in low season.

The Virgin Islands rentals generally are not pet friendly. It is more difficult to find a rental when you have a pet. There are a few, but not many.

There are some websites for rentals on all islands here in the VI. Also, property management companies are good and the classified section in the Avis or VI daily news are good sources.
Also, by someone who lives here and knows who to contact or refer.

I'm not sure of documents. Usually, a first months rent to hold the unit till you get here. I asked for and received their application to rent and I think they do a background check. I sent a copy of my Driver's license and that was it.

My advice is this: Don't go on Craig's list to seek a rental. Too many unscrupulous people on there trying to collect money for properties that they don't own. BEWARE!

Thank you very much for this helpful information DogloverfromVI! :)