Dahab. Panic attacks and rugby

We were a motley crew the twelve of us who headed to Dahab for the weekend. Irish, English, quite a few French, Egyptian and the odd Canadian. We were meant to go by the Taba road but due to the political climate sailing along the Israeli border was not recommended for some reason,  not by anyone really, certainly not by the French embassy, I don't know about the other embassies as with our typical "we'll be fine attitude" we didn't bother to check, and off we set.

Mo and the Egyptian delegation set off first, say what you like about Egyptian timekeeping but when there is a holiday ahead they get off the mark fairly sharpish. We were traveling in convoy with the French which explains why we were last to leave........they are worse than Egyptians at timekeeping but..... lucky for us. We got a phone call about the Suez Canal tunnel from Mo to say don't come the Taba road there are hijackings at the minute. They had picked up some poor guy completely stripped of his belongings including the car and shoes, yes they left him barefoot, but with typical egyptian hospitality they picked hi......to read more....
irisheyesoncairo.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/dahab-panic-attacks-and-rugby/

i like dahab

thats cruel :/

Hi Don Moe...........you have me very confused , what is cruel?::/

maireadhoey wrote:

We were a motley crew the twelve of us who headed to Dahab for the weekend. Irish, English, quite a few French, Egyptian and the odd Canadian. We were meant to go by the Taba road but due to the political climate sailing along the Israeli border was not recommended for some reason,  not by anyone really, certainly not by the French embassy, I don't know about the other embassies as with our typical "we'll be fine attitude" we didn't bother to check, and off we set.

Mo and the Egyptian delegation set off first, say what you like about Egyptian timekeeping but when there is a holiday ahead they get off the mark fairly sharpish. We were traveling in convoy with the French which explains why we were last to leave........they are worse than Egyptians at timekeeping but..... lucky for us. We got a phone call about the Suez Canal tunnel from Mo to say don't come the Taba road there are hijackings at the minute. They had picked up some poor guy completely stripped of his belongings including the car and shoes, yes they left him barefoot, but with typical egyptian hospitality they picked hi......to read more....
irisheyesoncairo.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/dahab-panic-attacks-and-rugby/

that's what i meant by cruel

That's really sad, I knew some friends who's been caught by some local people, but finally their chief arrived and slapped the bad local guy and gave him a good lesson of hospitality, and free the foreigners and egyptians.

Finally, they didn't have anything, fortunately.

And I took this road twice and never had a problem, I guess it's about luck ...

Yeah bad luck

OMG .... I think it's better to fly to Sharm El Sheikh in November than drive :S ......

It's by stopping to pass by this place, the guys will think : it's our place, we don't want any people from outside here.

Don't let them get used to be the only one in their place !!

Good point,  but it is silly to take unnecessary risks,

It is still fine to drive to sharm and Dahab just use the other roads, the resort was really empty and we should all make an effort to go and support the people trying to make a living there with very few tourists.:D

Your story is interesting but abit scary:), it is obvious that you faced alot of obstacles while being in Dahab, and am sad that the looters were there in Taba road:S:S
Happy that your son has enjoyed his time and went diving for the first time in his life with his gf and sorry for the scary things that they have seen, it is obvious man that ur trip was abit risky:)
Sorry for the difficulties that u faced and hope u have enjoyed ur trip man:)

Cheers Semsema

We are from Belfast so guns, soilders, checkpoints and even getting body searched every time you went into a shop were normal every day things so it wouldn't put us off. Fortunately are troubles are over ( mostly) Thanks for your concern and I am sure Egypt will come through this difficult time, I hope the tourists return soon to see all the amazing sites :D

I know, but now most of motivated violence has evaporated in Belfast and this city was recently awarded the accolade of being the safest city in the UK ;)I know that it was extremely dangerous before:)
Hope I can visit Belfast and Dublin soon as I do really wanna see these two marvellous cities:)
And am happy coz ur troubles are over
Thanks for ur great wishes too towards egypt as i hope the tourists return soon too :)
Cheers man and hope for you to have a great day:)

semsema135 wrote:

I know, but now most of motivated violence has evaporated in Belfast and this city was recently awarded the accolade of being the safest city in the UK ;)I know that it was extremely dangerous before:)
Hope I can visit Belfast and Dublin soon as I do really wanna see these two marvellous cities:)
And am happy coz ur troubles are over
Thanks for ur great wishes too towards egypt as i hope the tourists return soon too :)
Cheers man and hope for you to have a great day:)

Belfast is in Northern Ireland (i.e.: part of the UK), Dublin is part of Republic of Ireland (Eire :D )..

It is not fine to drive to sharm and Dahab just use the other AIR roads :D