US Ipad in Perth?

I'm debating on purchasing an Ipad 2 in the US and taking it with me to Perth.  What kind of plans are available for non-citizens?  Will I be able to use it?  Any other recommendations for netbooks, notebooks, etc?

Thanks, Brooklynn

Hi Brooklynn,

Are you planning to stay in Australia permanently? If not, I would suggest getting the Ipad2 in the US.  In briefly looking at the Ipad2 specs from the Apple (US site) compared to the Apple (Australia site), they are the same. Except for the Verizon version. You might want to get both wi-fi and 3G access (the verizon specs doesn't seem to be avail in Australia?). The wi-fi access will help you save some money in not having to use 3G if you can access wi-fi for free or in your home and set up your wi-fi network.

Also, if you are planning to buy the Ipad2 while you are in the US, it might just be a little cheaper. I've just heard most things seem to be a lot more expensive in Australia. Probably due to higher taxes and shipping costs. If you have a local Apple store in Perth that you can visit, a rep there can probably guide you regarding the 3G access.

As for a laptop recommendation, I prefer the Apple line. I haven't had any issues with my current or previous laptop. They don't tend to crash as often with my experience of a Windows laptop for work. In addition, I haven't had any issues with viruses since most of the ones that are out there affect the windows operating system compared to Apple. You decision could based on what type of programs you plan to download to your laptop too.

Are you purchasing an Ipad2 plus a netbook or laptop? Or deciding on only one? If you are deciding what to use for school or personal use, I would recommend a laptop and not an Ipad2. I have an ipad and I mostly use that for internet surfing or email. It doesn't have a USB port in order to attach anything such as a printer or USB stick to save files or photos. You also will not be able to burn any CDs that you can with a laptop if it has that CD/DVD writer option. Lastly, it is much easier typing on a keyboard that is available on a netbook or a laptop compared to a virtual keyboard on an Ipad especially if you are typing a lot!

'