Mo til zil me mank

Hello all,

This seems far fetched but it can't hurt to try.
I am Canadian and was living in Mauritius for half a year last year to this Spring.
I'm now back in Canada and I sincerely regret coming back.
My time in Mauritius was the best time of my life-literally everything about it.

I know many Mauritians want to come to Canada but me...I want to go to Mauritius. Those of you that live there likely understand exactly what I mean.

The big problem is that its difficult to find a job there and Im not sure how smart it would be to buy a $2000 plane ticket and just go there hoping to find a job knowing how unrealistic that is.
I speak English, French and, when I get the opportunity, try to speak Creole...mo essai pratiker kan mo trouv en Moricien...hehe

Anyway...I know there are all sorts of rules and regulations regarding a work permit, etc. so that's yet another reason I can't pack up my stuff here and just hop on a plane to Mauritius with no plan...not to mention the salaries are quite low unless you are super super qualified (one day I will be but at this point in my life...I'm still young :p)

I'vs checked out all the job sites, I remember certain job forums, etc. that I saw on billboards driving around the island and I've seen them all-very disheartening. I'm on the verge on giving up my dream of going back to Paradise but I thought I'd throw out my last line on Expat.com because...when I was living there, I met some of the most incredible people through this site. Let's see if there's any other luck to be found.

:-)

Hi ayesha87!

Maybe you could tell us more about yourself! Are you working, studying? In what field? What are your experiences?
These could help in guiding you i guess!
Anyway you shouldn't give up and have a look at jobsites regularly.
Mauritius classifieds.

Myjob
myjob.mu

3wjobs
http://mu.3wjobs.com/

Adecco Mauritius
http://www.adecco.mu/

A bientot in Mauritius hopefully
Armand

Armand,

Great to hear from you and thanks-your message made me smile widely :D

I will bookmark those sites but I have been on them several times since moving back and...as I said, I find them quite sad.
But I like your positivism and won't give up just yet!

To answer your questions:

I was in Mauritius doing an internship in the PR department of MITD (former IVTB) in Phoenix...I won't go into details in a public forum (as I have first-hand experience in knowing just how small that island is-and how gossipy!) but let's just say my experience in Mauritius was...more positive on a personal and social level than it was on a career level...and we'll leave it at that for now! :P

That was definitely a one-time thing though, as it was a program through the Canadian government that sent myself and the other intern and you are only allowed to participate in the program once.

I have my undergrad in International Studies and French and a post-graduate certificate in Corporate Communications and Public Relations, both from schools here in Toronto.

Work-wise, I tend to stick to non-profit organizations which I know is a huge limitation in Mauritius but I'm quite open to exploring the 'corporate' world, as well...whatever will get me "home" :) Currently I'm starting up the communications in a really cool social and community agency in the "ghetto" of Toronto, and this contract ends in December at which point...I want to leave Canada again! Maybe to Mauritius? ;)

hey im sure if u try to look for a job u will definitely find it so just stay positive about it (Law of Attraction) so just try try n try.

And Armand has already told you about some of the sites where to look :)