Cost and location of an apartment in New Delhi?

Hi,

I am looking for a place I can rent monthly in New Delhi. I was wondering what the cost and a good location would be. Some details ->

1) Nothing fancy, just a clean room with a sofa, bed, kitchen, and bathroom. At best, it would look like it came from an Ikea showroom. :-)

2) Hi-speed internet is a must.

3) I do not have car, so restaurants, shops, etc all within walking distance is needed.

How much would something like that cost? And which area do you think would accommodate me the best?

Thanks!

Hi. My name is Tatyana. Let`s be friends in this issue. I need the same, but i am not in Delhi now. I am searching for housing, being in russia.
I asked lot of people about accomodation in Delhi not only on this site. Some of them suggested me to settle in guest houses.
Message me, please, if you will come to know any news.
Thank you in advance.

Well.
If I would say here that I can do a favour to you. Do you give me a chance to do it please? I know some one who can provide you a good accommodation with all your requirements.

Here is my mail id you can tell me if you are interested.
[email protected]

Hi Thanks, but I'm only looking for information. All I would like to know is the costs and location of my requirements above. Thanks.

Hi,
you can pay at least 30,000/- INR per month for the same and It will be in nice places in New Delhi as you wish. For More information pls mail [email protected]

ajdedo wrote:

Hi,

I am looking for a place I can rent monthly in New Delhi. I was wondering what the cost and a good location would be. Some details ->

1) Nothing fancy, just a clean room with a sofa, bed, kitchen, and bathroom. At best, it would look like it came from an Ikea showroom. :-)

3) I do not have car, so restaurants, shops, etc all within walking distance is needed.

How much would something like that cost? And which area do you think would accommodate me the best?

Thanks!

tatyanaki wrote:

Hi. My name is Tatyana. Let`s be friends in this issue. I need the same, but i am not in Delhi now. I am searching for housing, being in russia.
I asked lot of people about accomodation in Delhi not only on this site. Some of them suggested me to settle in guest houses.
Thank you in advance.

I have been looking for over a month for a place in South Delhi. An area that has shopd, restaurants etc is Defence Colony, but other areas have expats and good shops. If you are looking for somewhere I would recommend considering how you will get to work. Access to the Metro is good plus because you can get to Connought Place and its short auto to from the Metro Saket Mall.

The quality varies on the apartment. Clean seems vary debatable. Most places havent been very clean. Seen plenty of places with exposed wiring, gas can be an issue and water.

Do you want RO or are you going to buy bottled.

I used to think high speed internet was a must, it still is but power backup is more important due to pwer cuts. You need AC as well. I am told it gets to plus 45c in the summer and its in the mid 30s now and very humid.

Depending upon the location security may be an issue.

I am looking to spend 50,000 to 60,000 INR. Depending upon the place you may get Internet and Water in with the price. Gas you may to buy bottles and electricity is additional. Some may offer maid service for an additional fee. The extras may be 5,000 to 8,000 INR. You dont get much in South Delhi for 50,000 INR.

The one thing I would really reoommend is taking a hindi speaking friend with you. Conversations often switch to hindi with agents and landlords. The agent isnt your friend. they want you to take a place they have shown you but their fee is based on 2, 3 or 4 weeks rent (which ever you agreed with them).

CoolHandLuke wrote:
ajdedo wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

tatyanaki wrote:

Thank you in advance.

I have been looking for over a month for a place in South Delhi. An area that has shopd, restaurants etc is Defence Colony, but other areas have expats and good shops. If you are looking for somewhere I would recommend considering how you will get to work. Access to the Metro is good plus because you can get to Connought Place and its short auto to from the Metro Saket Mall.

The quality varies on the apartment. Clean seems vary debatable. Most places havent been very clean. Seen plenty of places with exposed wiring, gas can be an issue and water.

Do you want RO or are you going to buy bottled.

I used to think high speed internet was a must, it still is but power backup is more important due to pwer cuts. You need AC as well. I am told it gets to plus 45c in the summer and its in the mid 30s now and very humid.

Depending upon the location security may be an issue.

I am looking to spend 50,000 to 60,000 INR. Depending upon the place you may get Internet and Water in with the price. Gas you may to buy bottles and electricity is additional. Some may offer maid service for an additional fee. The extras may be 5,000 to 8,000 INR. You dont get much in South Delhi for 50,000 INR.

The one thing I would really reoommend is taking a hindi speaking friend with you. Conversations often switch to hindi with agents and landlords. The agent isnt your friend. they want you to take a place they have shown you but their fee is based on 2, 3 or 4 weeks rent (which ever you agreed with them).

I agree!! You must decide after you are comfortable with getting to work from where you decide to live. Delhi does not have a good public transport system. And even if you decide to buy a car....god help you in the traffic here.

The price would vary between 30 K to 50 k for the accommodation alone(some might include electricity)

Find the place where it is near Metro station then you can very easily go anywhere in Delhi. Check the information about water, electricity, gas connection etc.

Best place to stay is South Delhi like Defence Colony, Haukhaz, Gulmohar Park, Niti Bagh...Price can be from 30.000 to 60.000 or 80.000 Rs depend on how many bedroom you want, fully firnish or not ? These area listed about have no problem with electricity cut and water scarcity. Many of apartment can have gas connection, it is pretty cheaper than buy cylinder gas.

If you have limited budget, can find a share flat with other expats on Yuni net or Delhi Network, it will cost you about 15 to 20.000 Rs. share flat. If you plan to stay long time, above a year then do not take Guest house.

If you are female, find place where it is safe to have walk at night. Any more advises needed just contact me at [email protected]. I am just an expat who has been 6 years old in Delhi and would like to help newcomer.

Regards

That's a lot of great information. Thanks everyone. I'm just one guy and I only need one bedroom.

Interesting about power cutting out and water.

Do places like Defence Colony, Haukhaz, Gulmohar Park, Niti Bagh offer High-speed internet and steady electricity? Or is it questionable everywhere?

ajdedo wrote:

That's a lot of great information. Thanks everyone. I'm just one guy and I only need one bedroom.

Interesting about power cutting out and water.

Do places like Defence Colony, Haukhaz, Gulmohar Park, Niti Bagh offer High-speed internet and steady electricity? Or is it questionable everywhere?

You need to ask about backup power. Electricity supply in India is not steady like N America or Europe. You get power cuts in Delhi so you need to ask about backup power. Internet you need to ask, but you should be able to get boradband. Speed is another question. Some may give you wifi in apartment others you may have to arrange. Suggest you review internet providers in Delhi.

For electricity, you can buy a one battery powered invertor. Won't cost more than 10,000 Rs. Although, power cut is not much in South Delhi Area.

The best way to do house hunt in Delhi is to find a broker as most of the people don't put To-Let board on their flats. You can use 99acre.com or makaan.com to find the classifieds.

If you are planning to take house near Metro Station, you can consider Malviya Nagar as well. The place has a good market in that area at walking distance. Local connectivity is good with Auto and Buses.

Saket is another option which is also very close to Malviya Nagar. Metro Station will be in the walking distance only from the areas. Couple of shops in this area like 24X7 are open 24 hours.

For internet, Airtel is best in terms of pricing and connectivity. If you don't get Airtel line in your areas, they must have some local internet service provider like Hathway, Tikona etc.

Green Park, Southex, NitiBarg, Gulmohar Park, Gautam nagar has eveything surrounding and Green Park Metro connect you straight to Mall in Gurgaon or Noida Industry zones. The best part of this Areas, they are near INA and Sarojini Nagar. Heaven for shopping and grocery for expats.

Airtel Internet connection, I had a bad experience. I went back to my country for a month and lock my apartment. When I back I got a bill of 18 thousands Rupees. After a lots of fighting I still have to pay some amount and in between getting a lot of calls threatening from collectors...Now I am using MTNL

I just wrote a post about moving to New Delhi (neighborhoods, transportation, prices, etc.) based on 2013 prices.  Hope this is useful to all you prospective Delhi-ites!

meetmehereandthere.wordpress.com/2013/08/13/cost-of-delhi-living/