Open Air Markets

Hello.  I am new to the expat ssite.  My family and I have just moved to Porto from Lisbon.  I love visiting open air markets.  Does anyone know any good local markets in and around Porto?

Hi,

Normally the local papers advertise both flea markets and general markets. I have had a quick look on line but I can't see any :( in the Portugal News. Not sure if it covers Porto?

I have found this info via the Virtual Tourist Website. They list a couple of markets which may be of interest...

The other option is to try the Tourist information office.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on!

Best regards
Piglet :cool:

Hello there!

There are two main popular markets in Porto, one is the "Bolhão" and is an open air market smack in the middle of downtown Porto. The other one is a flea market and is a little farther from the centre, but not too far. It's situated near the "Ponte do Infante", one of the main Bridges that connect the city of Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia.

Though the first one is a city emblem it's been decading for ages. The local government is trying to restore the building by promoting public contests to privatize its management, but it has made quite a commotion amongst the local inhabitants.

The flea market is called "Feira da Vandoma" and runs every saturday morning. It's well-known by the townsfolk, you shouldn't have any problem getting there if you ask your way around.

Generally speaking, Portugal has a lot of traditional industries and festivities, which means it's never difficult to find open air markets, even in the main cities.

As far as I recall, Matosinhos also has a weekly market. Not quite sure when it happens though...

Hope this helps, I've been living in Porto for a few years now and started to love this city recently :) Wish you good luck!

Rémi

Hello :-)

As Remi said, Bolhão and Vandoma ...
You can also go to the fish market in São Sebastião (it is near the cathedral)
There is an art market on saturdays from 15h in rua galerias de Paris and Praça Carlos Alberto.

Have fun!

If you ever get as far as the North there are some very good markets, they sell almost anything. On the first of November there is a 3 day market up here to see more have a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OurLtqHdErU