Car Insurance

Recently, my wife was involved in a traffic accident. The other vehicle was a motorbike. In addition to the driver there was a child riding on the bike. This bike was not designed to hold two people. The motorbike ran into my wifes car and the child was severly injured. It happened in front of an UNMARKED school zone. The police attempted to say that my wife was speeding in a school zone. Also, one of the police officers is an lawyer and represented the injured family. She attempted to bring a criminal case and other threats unless we paid about 10,000 USD in addition to what the insurance company would pay out. The accident reconstruction clearly showed the motorbike was at fault because the bike turned hit the side of my wifes car. We settled the case as threats were made that she would not be allowed to leave the country unless it was settled and fighting it could take years. The insurance company says that we have the maximum amount of insurance we can buy which is 10,000 usd. I  do not trust that answer and wonder if proper insurance can be purchased to guard against a similar incident including posting bond so we could leave the country while the issue is working its way through the court system.

hi there,
I pay about 9 USD / month for insurance against third party accidents.  That means the insurer would deal with judges and respond in case the other party sues you.

You said you have insurance so I guess they are just treatening you...  I recommend you to find a lawyer and explain the case. I know a couple of lawyers, but of course it is better if you have one of your own trust.

best,

Thanks for your response. We did retain a lawyer recommended by the US Embassy. In the end, the insurance company also defended us but they paid out the maximum of the policy which was 10,000 usd and we still had to pay another 10,000 usd. The lawyer said they could prevent my wife from leaving the country until the case was finally settled which would take years as Paraguay seems to function under the presumption of guilt. They also have a law that says the party who is most injured is least guilty. I do not understand all of it, nor do I understand why when then the insurance company was contacted about increasing the coverage they told us we could not purchase any higher amount. That part I find extremely hard to believe.

I have an insurance, and I pay about 4.000.000Gs a year.
The insurance covers as well our own car, and can be used in Brazil, Argentina, etc.
It is always interesting to check the coverage of the insurance.
I would never pay, for something the insurance has to cover. I hope you warned them, when the accident happened ? I have to check, but we are covered for a whole lot of money. And hospital here isn't costing a lot...