Soon be going to Maldives

Hi Im Sharmi, I will soon be going to Maldives because I was offered a job at a hotel (resort) spa located in North Ari Atoll. The lodging, food as well as my medical check ups/support will be shouldered by the company. Its good that I have stumbled upon this site. I live in the Philippines working in the Hotel as well. I just want to know more about living and working in Maldives, what and what not to expect.
My question is how is the internet connection there? if I would like to talk to my family, is there any cellular phone / sim card I can purchase which can be more convenient for me?
Also, because I am fair skinned, how do people dress there since I have read that it is not advisable to wear shorts.
Lastly, I want to ask if christians are welcome there? I am a christian and I am wondring if it is okay for me to bring my bible everywhere or will they be very strict? thank you very much

Hi Sharmi,

you cannot bring your bible, you are expected to wear modest clothing while your visiting the local islands and the main city.

cheers
mooch

will ther be an ispection thing with regards to bringing my bible?

not really, it will be confiscated only if it is found at the airport. if they did not find it, then you are ok, even if they do there is not penalty, they will just take it from you.

Hey Sharmi
I am European who is staying often and then for many weeks and months on a local island, this is my experience, dated August 2011.

Mobile phone : no problem, two providers, Dhiraagu and Wstanya. Same providers for internet, all over the islands AND the resorts, through antennas and satellite. You buy a USB stick (with a separate SIM crd)and it explains itself. Connections are not high speed but very much ok.
Dressing (ladies) : in public keep shoulders and legs covered, at least down knee ... though the Maldivians do not care too much about that, but it's the rule. Many of the ladies dont wear scarfs, but they keep that rules.
Being Christian as such is no problem in Maldives, but you cannot practice or pray in public. Behind the door of your room, nobody will care what you do.
Bringing with a Bible ... can be tricky. Officially its not allowed I guess, but also they are not systematically looking for bibles in luggage. In worst case you have to hand over to them. But not please like 10 bibles ... :-)
Enjoy Maldives , it's paradise on earth !

Thank you Jacques! I truly appreciate it :)

Hi Sharmi

I'm a Filipino currently living and working in Male' Maldives. I think your questions are already answered, but if you have anymore inquiries, i would also be glad to help you being your "kababayan".

Mabuhay ka!

Hi Sharmi!

So, are you already here in the Maldives? When is your next trip to Male? Let me know and maybe we can meet up! :)

Cheers!

yeah sharmi.

didnt hear from you for a long time.

cheers
mooch

hello sir :) im going to maldives in february. i really want to bring my bible. what can u say about it?

kingkang wrote:

hello sir :) im going to maldives in february. i really want to bring my bible. what can u say about it?

Hello

For info you are participating on a thread inactive since 2011!

As previously stated, if found it will be confiscated and that's about it. No penalty nothing.

You may try your chance and put in amongst your clothes in your luggage.

Regards
Kenjee

Thank u so much. Ir reply means a lot.