Welcome To Maldives~

Good day all!

My girlfriend Julia and I are on our way to Maldives July 15. She is Russian, 27 and I am a Canadian 31.  Always looking to meet anyone on the way there or anyone who lives there already!!! Can try and help with information since I've lived there before, but no promises...I'll be enjoying the lifestyle as opposed to the computer.

Drop us a line and lets see if we can meet up!

Hi jpow20 and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that you will have a lot of nice contacts here.

Harmonie.:)

Hi ppl! I am Khushbu from Chennai, India..me and my husband are planning to visit Maldives in August this month...we are there for a short visit...I would like to know if there is a possiblity to find a host family where we can stay on budget...we are not looking at a very expensive accomodation...also I would like to know what will be the cheap accomodation in beach resorts or hotels...I would also like to know what will i spend for food per day (strictly vegetarian)... i need to plan my budget before the trip so it would be great if u can get back to me...

Please let me know about the what all is there to see and explore

Cheers!

Hello,I dont write good english but I good like work to Maldivas.I'm 28 years old and October I go to the island because I like dive.Is posible that any persons write my.Thanks

hi khushboo
Nothing is cheap in the maldives..But if you stay in the male(the capital) I would recommend Brunige guest house. I dont know what kind of bugjet you have.Here one room may be 30-40 dollars. Another thing ,hey have a better hotel ,it is called MAFUSHIGE.(it has another name also but i dont remember that.) you contact one Mr.Charles ( the manager)(00960 7763789) ask him to give you MAfUSHIGE guest house. if you bargain he may give you some discount.
As for the resort you can try VILLA HOTELS.

Thank you,when I translate the conversation I write you and I would like phone the manager.Your help is ok

Hi Manuxav..tghanks for the details..let me talk to the manager and get the tariff for the hotel u suggested...i would like to know the rates u gave are US Dollars?

I am a Pilot who frequents the Maldives and get a full day off there, I stay at the Hule Hule Hotel very close to the airport and is looking for groups who take trips to the other Islands to share the cost for a day outing with. Any help is appreciated

Also if any special events are planned for Expats let me know.

Phil

My next trip is Sunday night and stay until early Tuesday morning.

Phil

jpow20 wrote:

Good day all!

My girlfriend Julia and I are on our way to Maldives July 15. She is Russian, 27 and I am a Canadian 31.  Always looking to meet anyone on the way there or anyone who lives there already!!! Can try and help with information since I've lived there before, but no promises...I'll be enjoying the lifestyle as opposed to the computer.

Hi guys,

I am also arriving in Maldives next Wednesday, 27th July. I will be working on one of the resorts in the very north of Maldives. I am Polish, 29, and I live in the UK. I also speak Russian. It would be great to meet new people, the ones who have just arrived on the islands! Keep in touch.

Lenina

HI Lenina,

hope you had a safe flight to maldives, and hope your enjoying your first few island days. do let me know if you like to meet in male, if ur coming to town can go for a coffee chat.

welcome and enjoy maldives
mooch

I return the 2nd of August and will be at the Hulehule' hotel for 2 nights. Thinking of going to an Island for picnic the 3rd.

Lenina wrote:
jpow20 wrote:

Good day all!

Hi guys,

I am also arriving in Maldives next Wednesday, 27th July. I will be working on one of the resorts in the very north of Maldives. I am Polish, 29, and I live in the UK. I also speak Russian. It would be great to meet new people, the ones who have just arrived on the islands! Keep in touch.

Lenina

Hi Lenina, I suppose you're already in Maldives, I will soon be flying there too. tentatively on the 31st of August or first week of September, I will also be working on a Resort at North Ari Atoll. I had few inquiries that I posted a while ago on a diffrent forum topic. I'm very concerned on how I could communicate constantly with my family since this will be the first time I will be away from them. Is the internet connection good? I'm wondering also if I could put my phone into "roaming" or will it be wiser to purchase a new one there? Hope to hear from you soon. And if in case we'd work near eachother I hope we could meet. Good day!

Hi Sharmi,

most of the Maldivian resorts offer over 512Kbps of internet speed to staffs over WiFi.

However, both Maldivian mobile telecom providers give competitive international calling rates, using ur mobile on roaming is a bad idea, as it will double/tripple what you may pay otherwise. also using a local number will have other advantages as free minuted to local numbers/ you will need this as u will be making oa lot of locals calls to your newly found friends..

hope this helps

regards
mooch

mooch wrote:

Hi Sharmi,

most of the Maldivian resorts offer over 512Kbps of internet speed to staffs over WiFi.

However, both Maldivian mobile telecom providers give competitive international calling rates, using ur mobile on roaming is a bad idea, as it will double/tripple what you may pay otherwise. also using a local number will have other advantages as free minuted to local numbers/ you will need this as u will be making oa lot of locals calls to your newly found friends..

hope this helps

regards
mooch

Thanks Mooch!

I almost went avail the roaming service. I would need to know more about telephone usage tho coz I am a phone type of person myself here in Manila. I wonder if we would have a local room phone on the resort where we would stay.

Hope to meet you too :)

HI Sharmi,

If you are a phone type of person, i would recommend that you get 2 iphones (assuming that you will be calling to one person mostly).

I am sure you must have heard of viber, free text and free calls to other iphones, if you are connected to internet.

you could buy 1GB allowance for RF160=10USD. if your making just voice calls it will easily for for one month.

a land line is provided only for the executives, also in a very few resorts. this you have to check with your employer.

hope this helps,

yeah would be nice to meet in maldives.

cheers
mooch

mooch wrote:

HI Sharmi,

If you are a phone type of person, i would recommend that you get 2 iphones (assuming that you will be calling to one person mostly).

I am sure you must have heard of viber, free text and free calls to other iphones, if you are connected to internet.

you could buy 1GB allowance for RF160=10USD. if your making just voice calls it will easily for for one month.

a land line is provided only for the executives, also in a very few resorts. this you have to check with your employer.

hope this helps,

yeah would be nice to meet in maldives.

cheers
mooch

Thank you very much mooch!! very helpful :)

Hi,

I will flying to maldives too and will work on a resort at south male atoll. really concern about living in maldives, a home away far from home. the internet connection, a bank or exchange to send money, public/daily transportation between atoll, can we use a smartphones such as blackberry so we will have internet mobile phone in our hands (facebook / mesenger by mobile ) so we will always connect with family at home at anytime rather than using a laptop or computer in a room.

Thank you for the info.

regards,

misa

Hi MIsa;

Usually,resorts has an internet connection, you can probably check on with your employer. Most of them are wi-Fi (to cater with their guest with laptop) wherein you can connect to Facebook or messenger using your Blackberry phone. Most of the resort people go to Male, Maldives commercial center, to send money thru Western Union, Express Money or thru Bank transfer. Now, means of transportation going to this main island primarily depends on your resort location either the island has a residential area and has a public terminal for passenger boat (dhoani) or the only transport available is the resort exclusive Speed boat.As i mentioned, Dhoani is the main public transport between atoll.

Have a pleasant day ahead!