Moving to Bahrain in 2 months!

Hi all,

Has been really good to read this forum and hear some honest accounts of life in Bahrain.

I will shortly be relocating to Juffair as my partner has a job out there and I could really do with building up some contacts and getting some Bahrain living advice.

Ie I regularly hear about how hard it is to find a job in Bahrain but there seem to be some real success stories here so any advice welcomed. (I'm a qualified secondary school teacher but also have some sales/marketing/brand experience).

Also are there good ways to meet people out there?

Sorry to babble at you just soo much to think about and so little time!

Hope to hear from you soon.

Meg

HI Meg,

Your welcome to Bahrain.... Here i find the people are very friendly nature and you will definitely enjoy here.

Best of luck and once again welcome.

Thanks
shayeen

Sure you will get. If i find some i will let you know

cheers
shayeen

Hi meg,

Job wise I suggest hitting the GDN daily (Gulf Daily News), me and my girlfreind moved here in February, and it took us between two and three months to find day jobs. Altho, with teaching experience/qualifications, you should walk into a teaching job in sept!!

We live in Juffair as well, altho are moving to mahoos (bout 2 miles away) due to our houmate going home. Juffairs great tho, plenty of shops n bars etc, also 'american alley' where u'l find all the fastfood you can think of, a couple of restaurants and shops etc. If you like sport, Champs shows all premiership games live on a saturday afternoon.

As for making friends, best thing I can suggest is just getting out and about, everyones quite friendly, particularly after a few drinks etc.

If you have any more questions or anything just gimmi a shout,

loAf

Thanks for your reply loaf!

Just out of interest what jobs do you and your girlfriend have now - as although I am a qualified teacher I am keen to move away from teaching due to bad experiences here in the UK.

How did you find the visa/sponsorship issue worked with you?

Thanks

Meg x x

Im working for an English based company (from my home town, so i think it was fate)as Business Development/Office manager, debz is PA tothe VP of a big firm. To be fair, it was me who struggled to find work, debz had plenty of offers, and was able to be fairly choosy. Really just depends on what you want to do, how much money you want etc. As bad as it sounds, and dont get the wrong idea of Bahrain, but they do like young white females, so you have a distinct advantage in finding work. i'l post a link to the GDN below, and you can see what jobs are offer today, it gets updated everyday, also theres websites like bayt, gulf connexions, monste-gulf etc that are worth trawling, and will give you a better idea of whats about:)

How long till you come out now??x

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Classifi … .aspx?Sn=1

oop, missed the visa bit!

Visas. you will need to pay 10BD (about 16quid) when you come through immigration, and that will get you a 3 month tourist visa, that says in big letters, that you cannot work out here. this is true, but you can look. All you need to do then, and they'l probably ask anyway, is tell the company at your interview that your on a touist visa. If they employ you, it then becomes the companys responsibility to make you legal.

We have two different experiences from this point tho, my company processes my visa immediately, and after about 6weeks I became a full Bahraini resident (although i know of people who got it in less than a week!!). debz on the other hand has a diff experience, they are "processing" her application, which means they are being lazy, and have simply paid for a 3 month extention of her visa. This is not illegal, maybe just bad practice by UK standards. They will have to get her residency after the 3 month period tho, and she is not an illegal.

Hi Loaf

Thanks so much for all the information it really helps to know that someone else has made a go of it out there. The visa stuff sounds pretty standard all things considered so that has put my mind at rest!

We are flying out on the 12th August so less than 2 weeks now! And still so much to do gulp!

But thanks again for all your help and if there is ever anything I can do to help you or Debz at all let me know.

Meg x x x

No probz meg, nice to be able to help, I waz crapping my pants before we moved out here.

eeek, 12th aug!! will warn you now, your arriving a week before ramadan, roughly 22nd Aug - 19th Sept, where you are not allowed to eat, drink (anything, even water/tea/coffee/etc)or smoke in public during daylight hours. Take this very seriously, it is a jailable offence! also all the bars/clubs tend to close down, so theres little night life. Rest of the year is fine, but Ramadan is a very slow month!! Weather can be a very humid as well, but dont let it put you off it will get better i promise you.

Anyway, hope the move goes well etc, I will pm u myn and debzs phone numbers so if either of you have any questions, or need to know anything once your out here you can give us a shout:) Oh, while i think of it, most UK phone providers dont work out here, so you may need to go to get a new sim card, the prepaid service is called simsim and is exactly the same as UK. theres 2 main companys Batelco and Zain, not much diff between the two.

See you in 2 weeks!!x