Cost of living in Calgary

Hello guys

I'm Maja, and currently I am studying in Denmark, but we [me and my boyfriend] planning to continue our studies in Calgary.

So could you share your experience and give advice for us? We would be interested in:

-> accommodation price;
-> in which part of Calgary you recommended to live
-> what about food prices? And shops, where is is better to buy stuff?
-> As well where is it better to get furniture? Like garage sales or second hand shop [because we won't be able to buy new furniture? Maybe you could give some link that we could look to it.
-> energy prices [ for example electricity]
-> other bills [like Internet or mobile phone]
-> prices of a beer or of a coffee in a regular pub
-> is it hard to get a job?
-> What about pets? Is it expensive to keep a dog?

And if i would be interested to participate in some kind community work or if I would like to be a part of some kind event [for example "Sport festival"] Where should i look for this information?

Thank You so much for participating!

First thing you need to know is how much is your budget.  There is a university and several colleges in Calgary so depending on the time of year you are coming to the city will determine the availablity of rental units.

Where is good places to live in Calgary depends if you are using mass transit, you have a car and where you are working.  If you are from Denmark, I would recommend the Kengsington or Eau Claire area.  It is very trendy are with lots of pubs, restaurants, shopping, close to mass transit and downtown.  But you pay for this.  You could also include Mount Royal,(downtown) Sunnyside(across the river).  It all depends on likes, dislikes, and what you expect.

Food prices are expensive in Canada but if comparing to the euro in Denmark proably similiar.  The major difference between europe and canada, been to both lots, is in europe you go to the store everyday and get freesh ingreadients while in Canada you tend to go to the grocery stores weekly and buy larger amounts and more than likely more prepackaged meals.  However depending on what you like, there are many farmer's markters and in Eau Claire is an organic market type mall.  All depends on taste and budget.  Cheap is Wallmart and Superstore and the high end shops are endless.

Furniture:  If you look at store slike Liquidation world they have new low end furniture.  Proably pay close tot he same as a second hand store but new.  Also there is an Ikea in Calgary, just saying.

For household bills:  Again, depends on where you live.  Some apartments have sewage and water included and you only pay power, some houses you pay everything but for a house you can easily look at 600 euros for power water, electricity and sewage.  Again depending on where you live determines how much you pay.  As for internet, aaacchmmmm, there are plenty of free nodes if you live downtown but if you pay for your own, its as cheap as 20 euro's a month.  For cellphone, there are lots of providers all competeing against each other so just do some shopping around.  If you want to bring your phone from Denmark, your beset bet would be Rogers because they are the only company that uses sim cards that I know of.  I work in the middle east and that is the company I use because i just transfer sim cards.

My favourite topic:  Beer- again depending on where you go depends on how much you pay.  Most liquor stores you can find cheap cheap beer but not recommended.  I like beer and the cheap stuff is exactly that cheap.  You will depending on where you go will pay anywhere from 4 to 9 dollars a beer and more for other beverages.  However as I stated earlier it is a college town so there are many places in the NE and certain areas that cater and you can find deals.  If you want a taste of home, go to BottleScrew Bills, its on the corner of 10th and 1st and they serve Beer from around the world and you will recognize some brands.

Job:  All depends on your work visa and how much pride you have.  There are always lots of servers, cooks, wait staff and retail sales jobs around.  Again, depends on your background and visa qualifacations.

Volunteering:  There are hundreds of opportunities to volunteer, just walk down any open space and there will be a flyer for some festival or another.  Feel free to google Tourism, Alberta, Calgary and it will list tons of festivals and such with contact names.

Hope this helps some, areas that I found good, Stephane Avenue Mall, Kengsinton, downtown.  These areas will lesseon the culture shock.

bye and good luck

I think, you are fully starting with new house. According to me, you should go for Alberta and BC. That places are really beautiful. You can have some of the nice agents from Alberta, they will help you to get the best accommodation.