Hepatitis B infection

New Medical Tests to be Administered to Potential UAE Expats
10th May 2011

5ShareThe Ministry of Health in Dubai has announced plans to introduce new medical check-up requirements for individuals who are considering moving to Dubai.

When implemented, the new rules will require that individuals from specified countries will be mandated to complete a health check at home before traveling to the United Arab Emirates. The individual will be required to produce a negative test certificate for HIV/Aids, syphilis and pulmonary TB. A pregnancy test will also be performed for women intending to work in the UAE as a housemaid or a nanny. Upon arrival in the UAE expats will undergo further tests to confirm the initial tests before being provided with a residence visa.

Dr Mahmoud Fikri, Assistant Undersecretary of the MoH, announced the changes yesterday, arguing that the current system is inefficient: “The new regulation on getting medical fitness certificate for all new expatriates aims to prevent the spread of communicable diseases and reduce the financial burden of managing expatriates affected by contagious diseases,” he said.

Fikri revealed that 21% of expatriates admitted from Asian countries in 2009 suffered from tuberculosis, concluding, "of late it has been noticed that the rates of contagious diseases increased among some categories coming from some countries in which there are higher rates of these contagious diseases.

“The MoH is currently coordinating with the health authorities in Dubai and Abu Dhabi to carry out inspection visits at the visa-medical test facilities in Asian countries to ensure accuracy, safety and reliability of the examinations conducted at such centres.”

“As cases of contagious diseases are mainly reported among the Asian workers, the UAE will also seek implementing scientific methods to transfer the tests results and other health information directly to the UAE health authorities from the workers' home countries,” he concluded.

No worker pre-visa tests at Satwa clinic

Oldest medical centre in Dubai stops accepting applications for medical fitness reports

By Aghaddir Ali, Staff Reporter
Published: 00:00 June 30, 2011

4Share.
Image Credit: Francois Nel/Gulf News Archive
Residency and work visa applicants await their turn for medical tests at the primary health care centre in Satwa.
Dubai: The oldest medical centre in Dubai, the Satwa Medical Centre, has stopped accepting applications for medical fitness reports from workers in view of the growing rush at the centre in recent years.

The centre has instead been re-designated to certify families and women besides catering to urgent cases, said Maisa Al Bustani, director of the medical fitness section at the Dubai Health Authority.

"The centre used to receive a huge number of people including labourers and domestic workers who apply for medical fitness certificates," Al Bustani said.

She said Al Satwa Centre will now conduct medical fitness tests only for families and ladies. The centre will also offer fast-track medical fitness services.

New facility

Article continues below

Al Bustani said a large number of applicants visiting the Satwa centre were directed to other centres. "But there are some difficult clients who prefer to wait here. We would like them to be more cooperative," she said.

The Dubai Health Authority has announced that labourers who wish to obtain their medical fitness test will now have to go to the newly opened Al Quoz centre, instead of the Al Satwa clinic.

"The new facility at Al Quoz is designated for labourers because of its proximty to their workplace and the waiting space it has to allow them to wait for the procedure comfortably. The centre has 150 chairs in the waiting area as compared with 50 chairs in the waiting area in Al Satwa," Al Bustani said.

Secondly, she said, the move will also ease the rush at Al Satwa centre which has always been a nodal centre — being among the oldest medical centres in Dubai.

"The move will also ensure we provide privacy for ladies and families who visit the Al Satwa Centre." Al Bustani explained.

Timings

The Al Satwa centre will be open from 7 am to 9 pm and will accept 500 clients during the morning shift (from 7am to 2:30pm) and 300 in the evening shift (2:30 pm to 9pm).

The new clinic in Al Quoz Industrial Area 3 will accept more than 600 clients per day and will be open from 8 am to 5 pm.

Al Bustani clarified that the changes with respect to categories of visa applicants who can visit health centres is only applicable to the clinic in Al Satwa and that all the other centres will continue to function as is. For instance, labourers still have the option of visiting the 24-hour Al Muhaisnah centre.

Presently, the DHA has a total of 15 certification clinics, including centres in DIFC, Al Safa, Al Mankhool, Al Khawaneej, Al Twar and Airport Centre.

Al Bustani added that the DHA is continuing with an expansion project in terms of medical fitness centres. The next in the pipeline is the Al Karama centre which will open shortly. Al Bustani added that in addition to this, there are two more ongoing projects which will be opened in the near future. "Over the last few years, we have constantly added new branches in different areas of the emirate of Dubai."

The fitness certification clinics also offer tailormade services. For instance, all customers who wish to avail of the VIP medical fitness services can approach the express counters at DHA centres.

In addition to the fast-track services at all DHA health centres, the DHA has recently started the Tawajod service, which offers corporate employees services at home or office.

Undocumented Filipino workers face tighter screening
Workers who visit home but failed to obtain OEC are being asked for employment letter

By Jay B. Hilotin, Chief Reporter, XPRESS
Published: 16:14 April 28, 2011

Dubai: Dubai-based Filipinos visiting Manila may face a tough time coming back to the UAE, as the Philippine authorities have tightened screening of workers who came here on a visit visa and later found employment.

Such workers are considered “undocumented” and must produce a number of papers proving their employment, failing which would bar them from boarding their flight back to the UAE after spending time at home on an annual or emergency leave.

A number of overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) in Dubai have reported facing trouble during upon exit from the Philippines.

Officials of the Philippine Overseas Labour Office (Polo) in Dubai, an arm of the consulate, confirmed the new requirements but clarified it only applies to those who went home without obtaining their overseas employment certificiate (OEC) in Dubai.

“It is POEA (Philippine Overseas Employment Administration) that requires the documents to those applicants/OFWs who left the Philippines with undocumented status -- meaning departed the Philippines on visit visa and after sometime found employment in the UAE,” a Polo official in Dubai told XPRESS.

POEA is the state agency that regulates foreign employment of Filipinos.

An OEC, which costs Dh10 and exempts Filipino overseas workers from paying travel tax (Dh160), is also used by Manila to ensure their workers abroad are documented and insured.

It can be obtained by personal appearance, with proof of employment and a valid residence visa.

In addition, nannies applying for an OEC must present a contract stating their monthly salary as $400 (about Dh1,470).

All OEC applicants in Dubai must pay membership and insurance cover with the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) and must sign up with “Pag-Ibig”, a home mutual fund.

Filipino workers who go home on vacation but failed to obtain an OEC from Dubai are now asked to produce an employment letter from their human resource department and an original labour contract; as well as copies of passport, UAE residence, UAE Labor Card and the company's commercial license. These must be authenticated by the Polo against a Dh40 fee, the official said.

Many Filipinos have nixed the move as another money-making venture, but others welcomed it.

“It is for our own good,” said Lisa Magno Concepcion, leader of the Filipino Community in Dubai. “There are established rules in place. Everyone leaving our country for whatever purpose must be properly documented

Health
Medical tests in home countries must for expats
Expatriates will be re-tested in the UAE to ensure authenticity

By Mahmood Saberi, Senior Reporter
Published: 00:00 May 2, 2011

Reader comments (32)116Share.
Image Credit: Francois Nel/Gulf News

Residency and work visa applicants wait for their turn at the Satwa medical fitness centre for their medical tests.
Dubai: UAE Sunday announced that expatriate workers coming to work in the Emirates will have to first get their medical tests done in their home countries.

But to make sure that job-seekers do not try to beat the system and show fake medical test results, the new expatriates will also be re-tested here to see the test results are in order.

The new system was announced Sunday after a Ministerial Service Council's meeting was chaired by Shaikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs. The Council has instructed the Ministry of Health to issue the necessary bylaws to implement the new system.

No Ministry of Health or Dubai Health Authority official was available for comment on the new system at the time of going to print.

Article continues below

The Health Council had been debating this issue of tests for migrant workers for some time as the check-up in the home countries would stop many workers from developing countries bringing in deadly communicable diseases into the country.

Anyone coming to work and live in the UAE has to get a check-up done to see if he or she is free from HIV/Aids, syphilis and pulmonary TB. A pregnancy test has to be done for someone coming to work as a housemaid or a nanny.

Medical experts said the new system will ease the situation at the designated medical clinics which usually have long lines of people waiting for hours to get the tests done. In Dubai, the municipal medical test clinic was closed recently and the huge spill-over is frequently seen at the Dubai Health Authority (DHA) clinics, specially in Deira and Satwa. The DHA made a surprise visit to the Satwa clinic after Gulf News reported a near breakdown in services recently.

The UAE also has to bear huge expenses for those coming in with communicable diseases as they are first treated and then deported.

It was recently decided to scrap tests for hepatitis C.

Besides nannies and housemaids, the other categories of new workers who are required to test for hepatitis B and HIV/Aids are kindergarten school employees, employees at barber shops, health clubs and restaurants. Those found infected will be deported.

— with inputs from WAM

Plan to bar entry of people with infectious diseases into UAE
Expatriate workers to get tested for infectious diseases before arrival in the UAE

By Mahmood Saberi, Senior Reporter
Published: 00:00 May 4, 2011

5Share.
Image Credit: AP

The workers, specially those from the sub-continent and other South-East Asian countries, will have to undergo a second medical test here to ensure the test results are not falsified.
Dubai: The UAE plans to stop the spreading of infectious diseases in the county and will try to bar job-seekers from Asian countries infected with pulmonary Tuberculosis (TB) from working here, a health ministry official said on Tuesday.

Dr Mahmoud Fikri, assistant under-secretary for health policies in the Ministry said in a statement that in a particular year 21 per cent of Asians tested were found to be suffering from Tuberculosis.

His statement came after a federal announcement on Sunday that expatriate workers coming to work in the Emirates will have to get their medical tests done in their home countries.

Officials said this will bar many infected job-seekers, who are first treated at huge costs and then deported.

Article continues below

Second test

The workers, specially those from the sub-continent and other South-East Asian countries, will have to undergo a second medical test here to ensure the test results are not falsified.

"The new procedure comes as part of the efforts of the UAE to achieve health security and maintain public health safety," Fikri said in the statement.

New workers from Asia will also have to undergo medical tests for Hepatitis B and HIV/Aids. A significant number of people from India, Pakistan Bangladesh and the Philippines tested by the ministry in Dubai in one year were found to have contracted HIV/Aids.

Fikri said some expatriates arrive in Dubai with infectious disease and stay in the UAE for a month until their treatment is completed. He said some workers disappear and there is a danger they may spread the diseases.

Best methods

"The Ministry is currently coordinating with all health authorities in the UAE to arrange visits to the labour medical tests in Asian countries and be briefed of their accuracy and the best methods for transferring that information to the UAE health authorities immediately. The countries applying this system will be the Asian countries that have a great number of infectious diseases", he said, but did not name the countries.

Hi dimple,

about the new rules for medical that was circulate in  the newspaper in May i did actually check it with dha last june if they are goin to propose it anytime soon but my contact there said they havent got advise yet the ure thing right now is the categories of jobs where they check for infectious disease including hepa.

Thanks,

gerryanded

I have read about 3 cases in the forum who got residence permit even though they are Hep B+ but will like to know about people applying newly for work permit. Will Hep B+ be checked for them also?

Hai everybody

I heard that for clearing up the entry ban , we need to take an NOC from MOFA thru some lawyer and he will submit the papers to immigration in turn they will clear up the entry ban . Does anybody come across this news , could anybody enquire this to your fellow contacts and confirm .If that is true it will be very helpful to everyone in this blog .

Jai

Hi JAI,

Not heard about this new idea of lifting the ban, but could you kindly check ?and where did you get this info?if this all that we ever needed then why not try to approach the MOFA once and for all so this issue will keep moving as our lives now been stuck and totally not knowing how we can solve this.

Regards,

gerryanded

Hi Gerryanded

Thru one of my contacts i got this info , but to authenticate it  i had posted this info , i am trying to get more details about this info as and when i got any other new info i will let everybody knows , from your side also try to make some details let us fight together to win our battle.

Thanks

Jai

Hi Jai,

Hoe this info is really the accurate answer we all need now to clear this issue please share whatever you will get.

gerryanded

why this forum is not active now a days. Pl. all share your experiences, plans, ideas, success stories.  So everyone will have some encouragement. god bless all of us.

good idea Broad especially after i enjoy my time with this useful site in Libya but now look like dead

broad wrote:

Is it true???  what is the medicine name???

nhelai wrote:

has anyone tried transfer factor meds? they said that taking it for 2 months will cure the hepa b.

It is called transfer Factor here is the link, i was searching someone posted it here but noone's answering me if it works or not mdprolife.blogspot.com/p/testimonials.html

nhelai wrote:
broad wrote:

nhelai wrote:

has anyone tried transfer factor meds? they said that taking it for 2 months will cure the hepa b.

It is called transfer Factor here is the link, i was searching someone posted it here but noone's answering me if it works or not mdprolife.blogspot.com/p/testimonials.html

It appear the drug works only for Leprousy not HepB

miracle68 wrote:
nhelai wrote:
broad wrote:

read further, it has a testimony for hepa b also

nhelai wrote:
miracle68 wrote:
nhelai wrote:

read further, it has a testimony for hepa b also

Hmm. This sounds like a panacea for almost all diseases. If it is that successful, then it should be everywhere!. One need to be careful about some of this uncertified drugs so as not to compund issue on ground. One needs to make further enquiry on this.

dear W_ali,
please note that when the hospital finds that one of the couple is having the HEPA, they will call both of them and inform the other about the problem. If the other partner agrees to get married still, then they will give a clearance certificate stating that there is an issue and the couple is aware of that. Once you take this certificate to the court, there is no issue. There also, the lawyer would ask about whether they agree to marry with the problem.

w_ali wrote:

hi,

Any hep b carrier got medical clearance certificate for pre marital screening?

Regards,

Hi everyboby.... I got a new job in reputable retail company as a visual merchandizer, i will do my medical test soon.I am here in dubai for 7 years and I am a hepa b carrier also. Im checking this blog every time checking the new rules of medical test in dubai also even that im not included in the 6 categories of workers but still i have doubt about my situation. i like to ask if all the clinics who done the medical screening for new visa abide the new medical rules?      please anybody can help?:)

hi every one im new here im also a hepa b carrier and im now here in dubai to find job hope i can find even if im hepa b carrier..tnx i find this page..god bless us all guys...

anybody can give an idea if all medical screening clinics abide the new medical rules?? thank you...

No you cant get visa

jajuchi wrote:

hi guys,
I have been offered a managerial position in Dubai and the offer is really good. My only concern is that I am a passive Hepatitis B carrier. I have it since way back 1993. My wife does not have it and so are my kids.
The company wants me to come in thru a visit visa and then converts it into a working visa. I'm not really sure if my having a Hepatitis B infection would jeopardize my employment.
Please, anyone who's knowledgeable about visa procedure or have similar experience enlighten me on this one.
Thanks a lot.

jan

jajuchi, it depends what kind of manegerial position you will be into. If you are in the field of food or beauty sector then they can't grant you a working visa. check the the site dha.gov.ae

dha.gov.ae/EN/ServiceCatalogue/eServices/MedicalFitness/Pages/Packages.aspx

Medical Fitness Tests:

6 Categories (New visa):
 Hepatitis B
 Syphilis
 HIV
 Leprosy
 TB

6 Categories (Re-new visa):
 Hepatitis B
 Syphilis
 HIV
 Leprosy

Female Household Domestic Services (New visa):
 Hepatitis B
 Syphilis
 HIV
 Leprosy
 TB
 Pregnancy test

Female Household Domestic Services (Re-new visa):
 Hepatitis B
 Syphilis
 HIV
 Leprosy
 Pregnancy test

All Other Categories (New visa):
 Syphilis
 HIV
 Leprosy
 TB

All Other Categories (Re-new visa):
 Syphilis
 HIV
 Leprosy
Jet Ski:
 X-ray
 ECG
 Vital signs
 Visual Acuity
 Physical Examination
 Laboratory Investigation and others

Hi guy, I know this is a bit off the trend but just wish to hear your views.
Someone (http://www.spiritualhealings.com/)claims he can cure Hep B by spritual healing. I have my big doubt about it as some of these practise are very demonic and could have great repersussion on one's mind, thinking and way of life and could compound one's problem. Moreso, it does not appel to scientific or logical reason.
Does anyone here have any experience to share on this? Please share your experience.

HELLO

IN AL BARAHA HOSPITAL THEY WILL TEST HEPA B EVEN YOUR NOT IN 6 CATEGORIES.

REGARDS,
HONEY KO

And if its positive they dont give the med certificate? is it someone here who has been through this recently for explaining us better?????

Hello honey ko.

You should avoid using Caps lock to ease the reading.

Thank you for your comprehension.

Harmonie.:)

honey ko wrote:

HELLO

REGARDS,
HONEY KO

so u mean u got ur medical test there? And what happened to your certificate? did they pass you or not?

Please inform.Are u sure they are testing Hepa B for all categories?

broad wrote:

Dear sanggol,  if dubai and abudhabi is following some rules all the emirates will follow them.  dont worry everything will go smoothly by god's grace, yours is new visa or renewal??

sanggol wrote:

i hope any one can share if sharjah is implementing the same on visa renewals or new visa.

hi broad,

sorry for replying too soon. My company transfered me in Dubai Branch, so I am hoping that my visa will be under Dubai the next time I will renew my visa. So I hope there is a better chance for me to pass my medical test here in Dubai as i am hepa b carrier also..

God bless us all

Hi

Why there was no updates for so long time from the deported persons , does everybody lose hope .Any updates please share .Does anybody have been touch with any lawyers in UAE . Hope they could help us in clearing our ban .

Hi gerryanded

Any updates from your side , what is your position . have you contacted any legal firm . pls update .

Go to Al-muhaisnah med center , Sonapur.

honey ko wrote:

HELLO

REGARDS,
HONEY KO

honey ko wrote:

HELLO

REGARDS,
HONEY KO

Hi there i was in Sales employment visa before and they never detected me of hepa b when i apply my visa in mention hospital.

but when i change my visa to another company i was detected from muhishna hospital.

So i have a friend with same problem with me that she know someone who can delete my records and can re-issue me a new employment visa.

But i know there is no free in dubai.

So wish me good luck guys. God speed

hi guys i would like to ask if there is anybody whos not in 6 categories detected for hepa b and didnt get the job????????

when did you do your medical test in Muhaisna?

isurvive wrote:
honey ko wrote:

HELLO

REGARDS,
HONEY KO

Hi there i was in Sales employment visa before and they never detected me of hepa b when i apply my visa in mention hospital.

but when i change my visa to another company i was detected from muhishna hospital.

So i have a friend with same problem with me that she know someone who can delete my records and can re-issue me a new employment visa.

But i know there is no free in dubai.

So wish me good luck guys. God speed

Hi Jai,

How are you? long time no hear about your question sorry i still dont have feedback now a close friend of mine in dubai had tried to check it to my previous company and she told me that they havent done something to help me sort the issue , i am really depress  now with what is happening i cant seem to fine a little hope about our case devastating just counting days for nothing it's killing me.Did you approach the MOFA about the issue?Any new news from your friend in Dubai about the rules?

Please keep me updated if hope is there.

Gerryanded

Hello,

I want to renew my visa this coming october. Before im check in al baraha hospital i failed my result clear their someone told me go to abu dhabi to get medical in Khalifa Hospital and i past my medical.

I want to know if al baraha will check hepa b my visa is sales..
thanks...

honey ko

hi guys if in al baraha clinic they check hepa b even u are not in 6 categories  they denied u in giving a residency, then what they are doing is illegal because they are not fallowing the medical prcedure of DHA.pls can somebody who have the same experiences will give details will be much appreciated

to honey ko,

they will not check for hepa b if you will renew your visa coz for me they didnt check especially you are not in 6 categories.i did last april. any update for the new visa? because i just get a new job i will be visual merchandizer

Hi Gerryanded

When i contacted MOFA for NOC they asked me to contact MOI to clear up this issues . But no response from MOI . Have u contacted any legal firm in UAE , if not try theadvocates firm they are taking these ban cases . my mail id is [email protected] .

regards

Jai