Cost of living in Kenya

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Kenya.

Don't forget to mention where in Kenya you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Kenya?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Living in Nairobi, Kenya

Currency is Kenyan Shillings (Kshs) and today's rate are about
1 USD = 67 Kshs
1 Euro = 100 Kshs

> accommodation prices
2/3 bedrooms flat in Nairobi - 60 to 70 000 Kshs/month
Townhouse in Nairobi - 70 to 80 000 Kshs
Townhouse outside Nairobi - 50 to 70 000 Kshs

NB. 1 to 2 month deposit required

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
Matatu - 20 Kshs per trip usually
Bus - Same price
Taxi - Few with meters, otherwise discuss the price before (e.g. JK Airport - Town is between 800 to 1200 Kshs)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)
Around 12 000 Kshs per week, that is 48 000 Kshs per month.

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
Plenty of health insurance in Nairobi, usually prices are about 30 to 40 000 Kshs per year, covering up to 100 000 Kshs (Out-Patient) and up to 1 000 000 Kshs (In-Patient)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)
No idea but expatriate schools are expensive

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Today petrol is about 108 Kshs/liter
25% raise of electricity bill last month (no idea about the price per Kw)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
Per month

Electricity - about 4 to 5000 Kshs

Internet - expensive, about 7 000 Kshs per month + 40 000 Kshs installation fee for a good Internet connection.  Cheaper option available 

Mobile phone/Telephone - around 6 000 Kshs per month, price are going down thanks to competition.

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
For 1 person, a good menu in a traditional restaurant will cost less a 1 000 Kshs.
For 1 person, a good menu in a good restaurant (japanese, libanon, french) is about 1 500 to 1 700 Kshs

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
Beer - 80 to 100 Kshs for 500 ml beer
Coffee - about 80 to 100 Kshs in a regular pub and 140 to 170 Kshs for a good latte/capuccino, etc. in coffe bar/lounge

> price of the cinema
Cinema - 200 to 300 Kshs per seat

Cheers

Hi, I am planning to move to Kenya (Nairobi) to be near the man I love and get to know his family better. I am from India. I currently work for one of the largest internet companies in the world. My question is, is it possible to get a decent job in Nairobi that would enable me to support myself and maintain the standard of living I am used to? Would I need to come to Kenya first and then look for a job? Most online job portals state you need to have a work permit before applying online. Please help!!

P.S. My fiance and I plan to tie the knot in Dec 2009.

Hi there,
I need to know the an average salary pakage for Facility manager/maintenance manager in Mumbasa.

48000 kshs for food for month is for 1 person?

No !!!
48 000 Kshs for food per month for 2 adults and 2 kids with meat, veg included (app. 12000 Kshs per week) but again, I am sure you can reduce it by eating ugali and sukuma every day

Peperuka

Hi,  I would agree with the cost of the food. 
Dairy is very expensive in kenya,  Cream, Cheese, etc.  Also meat isn't cheap.
If you get you fruit and veg from local street stalls you'll save some money.

Regarding internet,  you can get semi decent internet with a USB stick from Safaricom/Zain etc for around 3000-6000 one off then you top it up.  I use around 2000ksh per month which enables me to do a lot of surfing and sending and recieving emails.  You can't download movies/music etc but it's not bad.

Living in Kenya isn't that cheap anymore,  things are getting more and more expensive. Labour I would say is the only cheap thing which i ironic.  You can afford to have a house help for around 10,000-15,000 ksh per month.

hi all, is 1200 usd + with school fees+2bedroom furnished accomadation is a good offer in nairobi town plz suggest

indra81 wrote:

hi all, is 1200 usd + with school fees+2bedroom furnished accomadation is a good offer in nairobi town plz suggest

When discussing apartment/flat/etc. rental rates in Nairobi, the NEIGHBORHOOD is key, just like anywhere. There are neighborhoods that are generally upscale, like Upperhill, Westlands, Karen, etc., and others that are hit or miss. Some are ethnic enclaves-- Indian and Jewish/Israeli communities flock to certain areas, but not exclusively.

I am in a short-term furnished rental in Westlands, very convenient location, but I know nothing about school fees. I would guess that the 1200 USD is a good but not bargain price. Not out of line with what 2 BR furnished place in Westlands go for...If you're happy with the location and quality, do it!

Hi HCHaffin,

Prices !!!! Prices !!!! & Prices !!!!

Internet - Access KEnya - 3500 KES per month

Food  -  Depends...If u cook - 500KES per day Hotel - 1000-1500KES per day.

School - Dont even ask.....International schools are exhorbitantly costly !!!!!

Commuting - Taxis are costly (min 200 KES) . Matatus are fine but rash 30-100 KES on an average dependnning on distance.

Movies - 400-600 kES.

MEAT/FISH/CHEESE - COSTLY

Hi Friends, I have been offered job in Nairobi. I have been offered local salary + bachelor accomdation + car + $1200.Pls advice what should be my local salary (in local currency) so that I can have decent living standard. Also pls advice cost of living for one person in Nairobi.

Can someone advice me what will be cost of following in Nairobi :1 lts of milk, 1 lts of coke, 1 lts of petrol, 1 kg of wheat flour (atta), 1 kg of rice (basmati and non-basmati). Also please inform if Indian staple dals are avaiable and it you can quote price of 1 or 2 dals. Thanks in advance.

Hi I am an anesthesiologist and have been offered a full time job in Mombasa with a salary of $ 2000. Can I have a decent living there with this salary?
What is the average salary of an anesthesiologist with 30 years experience in Kenya.
Can anyone answer my questions quickly please?

Hello rajinder1955!

2000 USD is roughly 158,000 Kenya Shillings (as of today, 1 USD = 79 Khsh) . This is an acceptable range, though you will have to limit some expenses A rough budget estimate would be 50,000 Kshs rent (for a family man), Transport(depends on how far you live from work and including taxi fare if you don't have a company car), Food, entertainment and many more.
My advice would be ask for a higher salary.

All the best!

Dear akinyiadongo,
Thanks for your quick response. The rough budget you have mentioned is 50000  Khsh or is it 1,50000 Khsh? Because you have mentioned that some expenses have to be pruned.
Secondly, what is the rough estimated income/salary in Kenya of an Anesthesiologist with long experience. ( so that I can negotiate accordingly)
thanks again
rajinder1955

Hi,

My compnay is palnning to post me to Nairobi. I will be responsible and incharge of all affairs of the compnay in Kenya with a rough turn over of our company around KES 40 Million per month.

I fall under the senior managerial positions and my compnay is finalizing my salary package.

Can someone give me an Idea what sort of a package will be good for living in NBO.

Cheers...!!!

flyintokenya wrote:

Hi,

My compnay is palnning to post me to Nairobi. I will be responsible and incharge of all affairs of the compnay in Kenya with a rough turn over of our company around KES 40 Million per month.

I fall under the senior managerial positions and my compnay is finalizing my salary package.

Can someone give me an Idea what sort of a package will be good for living in NBO.

Cheers...!!!

Best-best-best package would be:
1/ Basic salary of 200 000 Kshs per month MINIMUM
2/ Overtime paid
3/ 40% house allowance + house security paid (guards + alarm button), appx 60 000 Kshs
4/ Travel allowance - one ticket fully paid by yer for family or every two years
5/ Health insurance for you and/or family
6/ Moving cost (40 foot container)
7/ And a position for me under your supervision :)

Ok so here is my situation. I have been offered a job as everyone else on here. I am moving from Texas (US) to Mombasa. House, car, eletric, water included in my salary plus $2000 a month. My wife will be coming to live with me. My problem is she hasn't completed her Teaching Degree and would need to finish it in Mombasa. I am scared that $2000 a month wont be enough for food, gas, plus her schooling from what I'm reading on here.

Cost in Mombasa?

1. Gallon of Milk Price (Here $1)
2. Box of cereal  (Here $3)
3. Gas per liter/gallon    (Here Gallon $2.54 today)

This will give me some idea if i need to live on cereal ;)

~Nate

1. UHT Milk 0.5 liter - appx 57 Kshs
2. Box of cereal, imported one (Kellogs) at appx 400 Kshs, local one at appx 180 Kshs
3. Gas per liter - appx 97 Kshs/liter

Rohit Kumar wrote:

Can someone advice me what will be cost of following in Nairobi :1 lts of milk, 1 lts of coke, 1 lts of petrol, 1 kg of wheat flour (atta), 1 kg of rice (basmati and non-basmati). Also please inform if Indian staple dals are avaiable and it you can quote price of 1 or 2 dals. Thanks in advance.

Hello,
One litre of milk = 70 shs

coke 1ltr = 75 shs

Petrol 1 ltr  = 95 shs

Atta wheat 1 kg = 85 shs

Rice 1kg basmatti = 140 shs

Dals = 120 SHS  per KG

1 USD = 81 SHS.

Hello everyone, i have a offer to work in Nairobi and my salary will be around 4000 USD, iŽd like to know if this is a good salary for living in nairobi, and also would like to know a bit more about rent prices good neighbourhoods and living style in nairobi.

Thanks
RABC

That is not much. Cost of living has really gone up in the last few months. Stuff is almost double what it was last year. As long as you get a good package where you wont have to pay rent, car and such then 4000 USD is not bad.

Can someone please update the prices mentioned in Billmburugu's post dated 2010-10-03, as I understand the prices have gone through the roof in the last few months?

I came to Nairobi about two months back. Before coming here I had lot of queries, which were more or less adequately addressed through this forum. One query, however, was not addressed adequately and that was the availability of items of daily need and their prices. Undoubtedly, it is very difficult to keep this information updated, more so in an environment where prices are going up daily. However, I am making an effort here to provide current  indicative prices and some other relevant information. Please make your own further enquiries, as I am not responsible for inadvertent error,  if any.  I hope those planning to come to Nairobi will find this information useful –

Prices as at end of September, 2011 (All prices are in Kenyan Shillings – 1 USD=98 KES, 1 INR=2 KES)

1.    Bottled Water – One should buy 20 liter container/s (KES 1500 first time buy) and get them refilled (Nakumatt Westgate). This way the cost will be considerably less than buying bottles off the shelf. (At Nakumatt Westgate they fill up 5 liter bottles also) -

5 Litres bottle refill – 100
20 liters bottle refill – 330

2.    English Daily News Papers – Weekdays – 40, Weekends – 50

3.    Cable/Satellite TV – Zuku - probably provides the largest no. of channels. The most expensive package consisting of all their channels (which includes some English, French and Indian Channels too) with unlimited broadband internet with a wireless modem will cost approx. 5000 per month. You can opt for cheaper packages too. There are others like DSTV etc. If you try hard enough, they may waive installation charges.

4.    Telecommunication – Most popular operators are Safaricom, Orange and Airtel. Airtel does not have 3G as yet. Other two provide 3G dongles also with attractive bundles. They have recently introduced even 21mbps dongles though in limited areas only. Data bundle prices are affordable. You may visit their sites for current tariffs.

Call charges to US, Canada, India and China are very cheap at just KES 3 per minute. Mobile and fixed-line handsets are considerably costlier here.

5.    Groceries/Vegetable/fruits etc. (per Kg. or per liter unless mentioned otherwise)

a.    Chicken Sausages (Small packet)    - 210
b.    Eggs (6 nos.)    - 85
c.    White Sliced Bread (400 g)    - 40
d.    Cornflakes    - 170
e.    Tomato Sauce (250 g)    - 40
f.    Mixed Fruit Jam    - 100
g.    Coke (2 lt.)    - 135
h.    Minute Maid Juice Blends    - 150
i.    Del  Monte Juice Blends    - 160
j.    Butter (salted 500 g)    - 410
k.    Sugar    - 200
l.    Free Flow Table Salt (150 g)    - 45
m.    Sunflower Cooking Oil    - 250
n.    Instant Cup Noodles (local-70 g)    - 95
o.    Yoghurt (150 g)    - 80
p.    Milk    - 80
q.    Atta (wheat flour)     - 80
r.    Frozen Peas    - 210
s.    Frozen Sweet Corn    - 270
t.    Red Kidney Beans    - 120
u.    Moong Dal    - 240
v.    Carrots    - 70
w.    Cauliflower    - 130
x.    Cucumber    - 100
y.    Ginger    - 290
z.    Ladies Finger    - 120
aa.    Tomatoes    - 130
bb.    Potatoes    - 60
cc.    Onions    - 140
dd.    Pears (imported)    - 450
ee.    Garlic    - 520
ff.    Knorr Soups (50 g)    - 80
gg.    Bikano Aloo Bhujia (170 g)`    - 125
hh.    Toilet Paper (pack of 10)    - 300
ii.    Shampoo Bottle(Head & Shoulders – 200 ml)- 345
jj.    Dove Cream Bathing Soap    - 90
kk.    Dettol Hand Wash (250 ml)    - 330

Above prices are approximate and for purchases made at up-market super-markets like Nakumatt and Uchumi, where most of the expats like to shop. Prices could be lower at smaller shops.

One must keep in mind that prices have been going up in the last few months and local currency has been depreciating pretty sharply.  Imports are, therefore, becoming very costly.

Enjoy your stay in Nairobi.

Tulda

This is one comprehensive reply i have seen.

can you elaborate on other things like
1. hiring of vehicle on long term - 6 to 12 months
2. salary of driver
3. home assistance e.g. maid servant per month
4. cost towards meals per day - indian meals

nnitin

A driver salary is about Ksh 12,000 a month
Home assistance - Ksh 8,000 to 10,000
Cost of meals per day - Ksh 1,500 to 2,000

I don't know the cost for long term hiring of a vehicle but I can find that out for you.

@nnitin - Don't forget that by law, your staff must covered by an insurance (so that they are covered in case of illness or work related incidents/accidents)... Very few do it, but if you want to be on a safe side, an insurance would cost you about 30000 to 40 000 Kshs per year. If you don't do it, than all medical expenses of your staff will be at your cost.

And don't go below 8000 ksh as minimal wage is between 7500 and 8000 kshs (don't remember the exact figure).

Add to this annual leave (21 working days per year) and overtime

Great list on general expenses thanks to all.

I am trying to budget for a move to Nairobi and I was wondering if anyone has similar updated information for costs of renting a place in a relatively safe neighborhood. I am a young female and I will be living alone.

Also could someone let me know how rentals are usually done? Are they paid month to month? Do you sign a lease? And is there usually a down payment of some sort?

Thanks!

@1333Belmont wrote:

Great list on general expenses thanks to all.

I am trying to budget for a move to Nairobi and I was wondering if anyone has similar updated information for costs of renting a place in a relatively safe neighborhood. I am a young female and I will be living alone.

Also could someone let me know how rentals are usually done? Are they paid month to month? Do you sign a lease? And is there usually a down payment of some sort?

Thanks!

I will share whatever little I know. First of all the good news - the brokerage/commission is paid by the landlord and not by the tenants. Hence feel free (literally) to avail the services of reputed brokers.

Rents vary widely from place to place and hence focus on first identyfying the area you would like to live in. Typically, furnished accomodation is much more costlier than unfurnished one. However, even buying furniture is pretty expensive. Hence, if you are going to stay for a few years, you may go for unfurnished accomodation, else furnished one may be better.

Rentals are done by signing a lease deed renewable annually with some escalation. However, I have seen longer period leases also. Rents are usually paid quarterly in advance. Add to this one or two months' rent as deposit/security. This is true for major estates. Things may be different for individual owners.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I am considering a job offer which requires me to settle in nairobi with family ( wife & 2 primary school kids ). Company will take care of housing/car/food expense. I want to know how much salary would I ask my employer to survive here, considering all other expenses.
Please consider perks mentioned above as tax free & tell minimum salary in US dollers, please

It is good to know that the last detailed list posted by me above was found useful by some people at least. I, therefore, feel that updating the list & prices at the beginning of the year may be useful. Please note that these are current  indicative prices and you should make your own further enquiries, as I am not responsible for inadvertent error,  if any.  I hope those planning to come to Nairobi will find this information useful –

The single most important update on my previous list is the Currency Exchange Rate, which has been quite volatile lately. Currently 1 USD = 87 KES, 1 INR = 1.65 KES). All prices mentioned below are in Kenyan Shillings (KES).

1.    Bottled Water – One should buy 20 liter container/s (KES 1500 first time buy) and get them refilled (Nakumatt Westgate). This way the cost will be considerably less than buying bottles off the shelf. (At Nakumatt they fill up 5 liter bottles also) -

5 litres bottle refill – 100
      20 liters bottle refill – 330

(I am repeating this info. as I still notice a good number of people buying fresh plastic bottles instead of refiilling. They are unnecessarily paying substantially more for the same water.)

2.    English Daily News Papers – 50

3.    Cable/Satellite TV – Zuku - probably provides the largest no. of channels. The most expensive package consisting of all their channels (which includes some English, French and Indian Channels too) with unlimited broadband internet with a wireless modem and a landline telephone connection will cost approx. 6000 per month. You can opt for cheaper packages too. There are others like DSTV etc. If you try hard enough, they may waive installation charges.

4.    Telecommunication – Most popular operators are Safaricom, Orange and Airtel. Airtel does not have 3G as yet. Other two provide 3G dongles also with attractive bundles. They have recently introduced even 21mbps dongles though in limited areas only. Data bundle prices are affordable. You may visit their sites for current tariffs.

Call charges to US, Canada, India and China are very cheap at just KES 3 per minute (Airtel). Safaricom increased both local and ISD charges considerably since my last post and hence is costlier than others. Mobile and fixed-line handsets are considerably costlier here.

5.    Groceries/Vegetable/fruits etc. (per Kg. or per liter unless mentioned otherwise)

Bread (Large)            - 125
Eggs (6)            - 60
Cheese Slices (10) - 200 g - 350
Brown Sugar            - 190
Minute Maid Fruit Juice    - 160
Fresh Milk - 1 Liter    - 60
Mixed Fruit Jam - 500 g    - 130
Yoghurt - 500 g            - 240

Lamb Loin             - 840
Chicken Drumsticks     - 850

Gram Flour            - 180
Pasta  - 500 g            - 120
Santa Lucia Spaghetti 700 g    - 150
Pasta Piccoli - 500 g    - 120
Egg Noodles            - 225
Tomato Paste - 480 g    - 186
Haldiram Bikaneri Papad - 200 g - 130
Daawat Basmati Rice - 5 Kg    - 950
Whole Gram             - 140
Rosecoco Red             - 120
Polished Green Gram    - 144
Imported Pop Corn     - 144
Tuver (Arhar) Dal     - 153
Mung Dal Washed            - 227
Mattar Dal             - 120
Chick Peas (Imported)     - 210

Green Apples             - 289
Papaya                     - 109
Pears Imported             - 499
Cabbage             - 29
Capsicum            - 169
Carrots                    - 69
Cauliflower            - 169
English Cucumber    - 189
Kisumu Cucumber            - 119
Dudhi                    - 109
Ginger                    - 219
Lettuce 1 Packet        - 45
Onion White            - 119
Fresh Peas            - 379
Tomatos                    - 99
Turia                    - 119
Fresh Tuver            - 379
White Potatos            - 79
Salad Packet            - 99
Beans - 500 g            - 89

Cadbury Dairy Milk Eclairs - 455 g - 420
Raw Cashewnuts - 400 g               - 500
Orbit Chewing Gum 10 Pallets       - 70

Cleenex Toilet Paper 10               - 377
Colgate Total Tooth Paste 75 gm       - 180
Disinfectant - 1.5 Kg               - 180
Wooden Carpet Brush Staff       - 110
Plastic Cleaning Brush               - 275
Toilet Brush with Holder       - 170
Eveready Gold Battery (2)       - 150

Above prices are approximate and for purchases made at up-market super-markets like Nakumatt and Uchumi, where most of the expats like to shop. Prices could be lower at smaller shops.

Wish you all a Happy New Year. Enjoy your stay in Nairobi. (05/01/2012)

P.S. - (14/01/2012) Just noticed an important item missing from the list and hence I thought I would update. So here it goes -

Cooking Gas bottles had all but disappeared last month but the supply is almost back to normal now and so are the prices. It is currently selling at Ksh. 3000 for a 13Kg. gas bottle (Shell).

i go holidays to kenya quite a lot,.
its not the prices that i see here,.

lunch for a kenya person os less than 1 euro.
if you are white its 5 times more ,.multiply  by  5 for foreign person,.
so u jsut go to get wise and tought nad its cheap enough place,.maids  live kenyans pay them 30 euros a month,.,.etc etc just do not get conneed,.them indian merchants there run many business and the charge london prices if you are white,.,.cheers,.

suirvale wrote:

i go holidays to kenya quite a lot,.
its not the prices that i see here,.

lunch for a kenya person os less than 1 euro.
if you are white its 5 times more ,.multiply  by  5 for foreign person,.
so u jsut go to get wise and tought nad its cheap enough place,.maids  live kenyans pay them 30 euros a month,.,.etc etc just do not get conneed,.them indian merchants there run many business and the charge london prices if you are white,.,.cheers,.

Hi Suirvale,

If you go to Kenya often and get conned then the above list is even more important to you. The above prices are from well known top supermarkets in Nairobi. Prices at these supermarkets are same for everyone irrespective of your nationality, colour, religion, sex or whatever.  Prices at ordinary stores would be even less. Standard Restaurants in Nairobi also have fixed price menus, as would be the case in any other big city in the world.

YEH  but i not want to go to nakumatt all the time,.
that java house for expample  charges up to 1000ksh for rubbish english breakfast,.the safair parks charge foreigners as if we were  millionaires,.scandalous that so few europeans go to kenya,  australia os far more popular and its 24 hours away,.they  constant   HUSTLING in keya  os not for the faint hearted foreigners,.,.cheers,.,.

was amazed at the pirce of ordinary shampoo in TUCKYS AND NAKUMATT its cheaper her e   in ireland,.,.do not go to laundry in mombasa city center if you are white,.,.hahaha
i really want to move permantly in kenya  but not till i figure out ways of not been rippped off,..

suirvale wrote:

was amazed at the pirce of ordinary shampoo in TUCKYS AND NAKUMATT its cheaper her e   in ireland,.,.do not go to laundry in mombasa city center if you are white,.,.hahaha
i really want to move permantly in kenya  but not till i figure out ways of not been rippped off,..

Kenya is an underdeveloped country. It imports many of its basic necessities and indeed most of its non-essential luxury goods. That is why these are so expensive. These are for people who want them at any price and can afford them. Indeed this is true for all nations in the world.

I am sure that there are places in Ireland that are meant for affluent people and that charge even more than Ksh. 1000 for a breakfast.

I am sure that while Irish Coffee may be cheaper in Ireland a Darjeeling Tea will be much more expensive than in India.

The prices shown here are to help people assess the amount of money they may have to spend, if they chose to live in Kenya. They will come if they can afford it and will stay away if they can't.

u know they were charging me 220  to wash pair of socks in laundry run by indian by indians  near BLUE ROOM IN MOMBASA , SO I WENT TO OTHRE LAUNDRY  run by african and they charged the same,.,,.BUT I SEE USA GUYS  ASKIGN PRICE OF INTRENET WIFI IN BLUE ROOM  AND HE TELES THEM TO GET LOST,.AS A FOREIGNER  WE ARE SEEN AS OBJECTS TO OVERCHARGE  PER-SE,.MY KENYAS  FRIENDS TEL ME SO AS WELL,.gettign TUK TUK OR MATATU  AND  IF I NOT GOT THE CHANGE  ITS HELL,.,.OK   BUT THE first time tourist should be told the FACTS,AND THE KENYAS SHOULD BE EDUCATED ABOUT REPEAT BUSINESS IDEAS,.nairobi is worled reknown as  city of thieves,.
why they never tisdy up the place is beyond me,.westlands are  is rich area and its a dunp and so easily tidied up,,,cheers,,

Hi all,

Obviously there is a 2-tiered market because there is a very 2-tiered wealth divide.  If you want to eat ugali and sukuma and travel by matatu you could live here very cheaply.  But please don't complain that you are somehow being "had" because imported items cost more here and game parks charge foreigners (who can afford it a lot more easily) a lot more than locals.  It's like this in a lot of countries that have a huge wealth divide.

Also, to cater to Western tastes is more expensive for purveyors (e.g. they have to find rarer ingredients) so it's more expensive for you. If you want "ordinary shampoo," think about what "ordinary" means in a country that's not your own.  Your "ordinary" shampoo had to be imported and import duties are HUGE - which makes sense when you think about it.  How's a country with a small tax base going to raise revenue? Import duties on non-voting people can help.

I'm not denying that people do try and "rip off" foreigners from time to time, but please consider the context.

ksiegal wrote:

Hi all,
I'm not denying that people do try and "rip off" foreigners from time to time, but please consider the context.

Where in the world tourists are not ripped off?

tuldha wrote:

They will come if they can afford it and will stay away if they can't.

couldnt agree more!!