Moving to Stavanger in Dec

Hi all,

Me and my hubby have a choice of moving to Stavanger either :-

Option 1: In Aug ( while I am 33 weeks pregnant) or

Option 2: In Dec ( with a 1.5 month old baby).

We also have a 20 month old son with us. I am just trying to make up my mind, which one of the option is better for us. I know very little about the health care system in Stavanger to give birth there. And I heard the winter in Dec could be really bad. I am torn in between. Hope someone could share their experiences with me or give some insight to how it is to give birth in Stavanger and to get thru the winter season with a newborn.

Appreciate it.

Regards,
Vinpush

Hi vinpush and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will be able to advise you and share experiences with you.

Congratulation.;)

Harmonie.

Hi,

Winter in Stavanger is not that bad compared to the rest of Norway. You do get a lot of rain but not so much snow and real cold.

As for giving birth in Norway, you may find that different than in your home country. Norway has a very advanced health care system but which is different than some countries in continental Europe, especially for pregnancy. Let's say that the system is less medicalized and doctors less involved in the prosses which is mostly left to midwife.

In any case, you will quickly learn how to live in Norway with a newborn, the society is fond of children here and this part should go easily, even during the winter!

Good luck!

A friend of mine just gave birth in Norway and was quite happy with the process, but she's Norwegian. Would you feel comfortable changing doctors so late in the pregnancy and giving birth in an unfamiliar country with a new language?

Cold countries generally have all kinds of great ways to handle babies- special wool underwear, hats, mittens, snowsuits, tiny feather duvets, insulated prams, etc. You'll definitely find all you need to keep the baby warm and protected. I live in Iceland which has a similar climate and people here often find that their babies sleep better when tucked warmly into their pram with a feather duvet, and pushed out onto the balcony, rather than sleeping indoors.