Getting married to a Dominican girl

hello, i fell in love with a local girl and we are planning to get married soon, would i be able to work in the Dominican Republic or would i have any rights at all? thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum frost bite!

Your message was moved to the Dominican Republic forum for better visibility. I hope other members will help you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Boy I hope you have done your research on marrying a Dominicn girl and all the ramafications of doing so. Like you wlll become responsible for her whole family for support.
As to working yes you can work here and to do so legaly you will need your cedula (identification card) and should get your residency at the samet time.  Do know that pay is  very low here for most jobs.
AS for rights you won't have many.

Bob K

thank you for your response, i love my girl friend more than anything, she is supporting her family now on $4oo a month, i am not a rich man but i would do anything to help my wife and her family, all i need is a little food and alot of sunshine.  PS (my girlfriends nick name is sunshine)

Just for couriosity what is your age difference. It is very common for much older men to find much younger men. Does she have a visa, does she want to visit Canada?????

Bob K

yes bob there is a bit of an age difference, about 20 years, no she doesnt have a visa and she has no interest in living in canada but we will likely visit in the future. im sure that some people have had bad experiences in the past with relationships that didnt work out, your chances are 50/50 at best. honestly, im not sure that i would attract such a pretty girl in canada, i willing to roll the dice, life is too short,  thanks

Hi, It sounds like you have an idea of what you are getting into.  There are two things that are very important for you to do.
1)  Keep all the money and bank accounts in your name only. If you are in control of the money you bring to this marriage there will be very little chance of it being used inappropriatly.
2.  Learn Spanish so you know what is going on.

Good Luck,

Marc

thanks marc, thats good advice, i dont think my girlfriend could spend my money any faster than my exwife and kids.

Welcome  Frost Bite,  you will receive a lot of warnings.   Be aware of what you are getting into,  make your choices and get on with it.

You must obtain your  residence to get your Cedula (ID card)  and this will allow you to work legally. It can and will take  3 to 6 months.   

Some employers will hire you illegally  BUT it is a risk.   What kind of work do you do now?  I can give you an idea of what might be available.  What are will you settle in?  Timeline?

For future reference the odds of getting even a visitors visa for your wife will be  very low.  Just plan for that.

Good luck.

thank you for your reply, im still working in canada 6 months a year, i plan to retire in 5 years, ive worked mostly construction as a heavy equipment operator/ truck driver/ welder. for now ill be wintering in the DR, id probably be better off to make my money in canada and relax when im in the DR. as far as a time line im in no hurry at all, im going to take things slow and see how it goes.

That is a good plan for now.  Your  job skills will not  pay you enough here to live on. None of that type of work really pays well.

Take your time.

thanks planner, just wondering what does it cost to live there? id like to rent a villa away from the tourist areas but still fairly close to the ocean, im going to be there this week to look around and visit. where would you recommend i look? im starting my trip in punta cana but im going to going on a road trip, cant wait, by for now

one more... wellcome... advise, tell her that you lost everything, EVERYTHING, come here and say that u cant go back to ur country cuz the bank is looking for your ass. Work here for local salary and if she will stay with u more than 7 days go ahead, do your epic fail...

Are you planning on living in the PC area?
Where is she from and where is her family from?  This is most likely where you will end up (near her family).
DO YOUR RESEARCH before taking the plunge!

Bob K

Be very carefull! Love makes blind!

Arthur 1 wrote:

Be very carefull! Love makes blind!

And many times stupid. Research, research, research.

Bob K

i am frost bite, i had login in trouble so i made a new id. wow did you guys hit the nail on the head, i found out my girl friend is from san juan de la maguana and wants to live there, i want to live near the ocean, also her family lives in a barrio and are very very poor and i think im going to have to support about 6 people and i am quite sure that she is only interested in money. i cant believe i was that blind, i really thought she loved me, now im not so sure anymore. i think im in big trouble

Frost bite,  What is her first name and Surname.  My best friend lives in San Juan de La Maguana.  He has lived in the DR for over ten years.  He is from Spain.  I can ask him if he knows her and if she is a good woman or a player.  You can email me personally at cloutiermarc59@yahoo

Re

zzbull wrote:

Frost bite,  What is her first name and Surname.  My best friend lives in San Juan de La Maguana.  He has lived in the DR for over ten years.  He is from Spain.  I can ask him if he knows her and if she is a good woman or a player.  You can email me personally at cloutiermarc59@yahoo

Re

You  need to be very  careful  about  doing this -  you have now publicly stated  with your  personal  contact info what you  are willing to do and many  will NOT like this. Keep it private honey if you are willing to do this.

Yes FRostbite you are in big trouble.  Get out NOW before the situation becomes impossible for you.

Bob K

Hello Frostbite, I have been reading the post and you have received some good advice. I'm a frequent visitor to the DR and married a Dominican girl about two years ago.  Believe me, it has been a struggle. There are so many cultural differences.  Marrying a Dominican is a very big leap, you never know if it is for love or money. My wife feels I should totally support her while she works, supports her family and keeps the balance for herself. Well, needless to say she did not like it when I said, "not happening". If I had to do it all over again, I'd wait until I was living there and simply have a live-in girlfriend. If you want more one on one response, leave your your e-mail.

its me again frost bite, thank you for your advice and kind words, i feel like the biggest fool in the world, my beautiful young angel turned into el diablo as soon as i refused to give her more money. i wasnt trying to buy her love but i did give her alot of things that she would never have otherwise, a computer, cell phone, jewelry and clothes but when i stopped giving, she stopped loving, she dropped me like a hot potato and somehow is convinced that its my fault, i really cant believe that i was so gullable, she seemed so sweet and sincere. i hope that i can find a girl that will just wants to be with me, im feel very deflated right now but i will be ok, thanks frost bite

Don't beat yourself up too badly.  It happens to everyone sooner or later.  Learn from the experience and be happy that it wasn't worse.  A friend of mine who worked all his life lost his life savings to a gold-digging woman in a South American country.  He died recently, at age 60, heart-broken and penniless. He should have known better.

Don't be too down on yourself, you weren't the first and you won't be the last. If you are serious about marrying a Dominican, I suggest you look for an older woman that has some education, established and employed. Your chances are better that they will not be supporting a big family and they will not be as needing. There are many, many single middle aged women there. Believe me, I have seen so many beautiful Dominican woman that were well into their late 40's and beyond. The main thing is to not give up, learn and beware, but have faith.

Frostbite,
Actually be thankful that her true colors showed before you tied the knot, as it would have been a strangle hold. It only cost you a phone, computer, clothes, jewlery and such. Not your life savings and in the long run not your happiness.
This situation occures daily here as many men are looking for love from a young "chica".  Just remember to think wtih the big head and not the smaller one.

BObK

thank you, i wasnt really looking for a dominican girl, we met while i was on vacation, she works at the resort i was at, they are not supposed to get involved with the guests, i think this is part of the reason that i fell for her, she told me that she had never hooked up with a guest before and she could lose her job if anyone found out, she really had me convinced that i was the man for her.  i think that i would be better off with someone closer to my age and with a little more in common, dominican girls are very beautiful and easy to love but im looking for a friend and life partner not just for sex. how do you tell if a girl is sincere?   thanks  frost bite

Here is she is 15 years or more younger then you it is the wallet you have in your pants that is of interest to her.
"I cant be with guests of the resort" is one of the oldest and best used lines of these "chicas" and it works all the time with older men.
AGain lesson learned!

BObK

It is a tough but  necessary lesson!  Learn  from it  then go read all the posts on various message boards, learn some more then  in the future you will be a bit more ready!  Good luck to you.

well this my opinion,i don`t think all the Dominican girls are gold digger! there`re women like that all over the world , you just have to look back at your steps how did you meet her and did she attract to you for what reason ,coz some of the guys just want to show of that they are tourist flashing money around than you will get the type of girl that attract to your money! iwas married to a Dominican women for 16 years and i can said she is one of the best family women i ever known , unfortunately we divorced and i do not hesitate to go for another Dominican girl! you just have to be real don`t show off as a big shot you may find a girl who really want you for who you are! good luck to you my friend

That is very true olddude158, woman are the same all over the world. I am currently going through a divorce with my Dominican wife.  It is a sad thing, deep down she is a good woman, but some people are just not meant to live together. I don't think I'll be getting married ever again, but I still have my weakness for Dominican woman. I have about 8 years before I will retire and move there. So for now I'll just visit as often as I can and enjoy life.

thanks, i havent givin up yet, im going back to the DR for the winter, i am no hurry to jump back into a relationship, i have learned alot from this experience and i dont think i will make the same mistakes again but, i do have a weakness for a pretty girl. see you on the beach  frost bite

well there`s still a lots of beautiful fish out there in the ocean buddy ,hope you catch the right fish ..lolll the venture is on.

I'm certain you have received many cautions about marrying Dominican girls... I did and contrary to most good advice its been a good arrangement so far after almost 4-years.

You will need your Residencia to do almost anything other than live here. As long as your official status is Tourist you have -0- rights, you cannot legally work, own property or start a business.

The Residencia process is fraught with false starts and often each "do-over" requires you to pay for the fees all over again. I have had 4 separate medical exams and submitted (through a Dominican attorney) all original documents, certified,.... After almost five years or trying, my attorney explains that it is not a matter of the applicable law... it is how the document manager feels about your application that determines the acceptance of the documents... I've given up. I pay my Tourist overstay fees each time I fly back to the US.... It's easier

I toured back through your responses and see just how true my prediction was.... sorry about that... Most of us ex-pats here will tell you that the living in the DR Learning Curve is tough. I is a continuing climb and if you allow it... an expensive one. After five years here it has worn me down.... I'm looking at Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica and Peru.... So far

DonLuperon wrote:

I'm certain you have received many cautions about marrying Dominican girls... I did and contrary to most good advice its been a good arrangement so far after almost 4-years.

You will need your Residencia to do almost anything other than live here. As long as your official status is Tourist you have -0- rights, you cannot legally work, own property or start a business.

The Residencia process is fraught with false starts and often each "do-over" requires you to pay for the fees all over again. I have had 4 separate medical exams and submitted (through a Dominican attorney) all original documents, certified,.... After almost five years or trying, my attorney explains that it is not a matter of the applicable law... it is how the document manager feels about your application that determines the acceptance of the documents... I've given up. I pay my Tourist overstay fees each time I fly back to the US.... It's easier

I fear you have  received some very very  bad  information. You do not need  a residencia to own property or for that matter a business.  You are limited to  work opportunities  without one -  you are very correct there.

Repaying your fees on your residencia sounds more to me like the  wrong lawyer - maybe the same one giving you BAD info.

All that being said, I  believe if you are going to live here and not just vacation you  should have your residencia. Be very  careful what lawyer you use!

I have to concur with planner. Getting your residency is very easy and if you are using the correct lawyer not very expensive.If I were you I would think about changing lawyers. It sounds like you are being taken.  We too have been here for 5 years and got our in the first 6 month of moving here (you get one tax exempt container to ship in if within 6 months of residency)
It is also true you can own property without a residency.

Bob K

can we ship our car over? coz i find its kinda expensive the cars over there!and how many can we ship as for the residence?

olddude158 wrote:

can we ship our car over? coz i find its kinda expensive the cars over there!and how many can we ship as for the residence?

Your  vehicle can be part of  the container you are allowed BUT must be less then  5 year old, owned outright and you  must have owned for at least  1 year. AND  you will still pay some  fees on it but I am not sure exactly how much!

so if i own two cars i can ship them both down there?

how can i won them for at least one year and the condition is the car must be less than i year old?

Closed