Tennis and Cell Phones: A newcomer in August

Good Morning,
   My name is Paul.  I'm a retired language teacher (German, Spanish) and teacher of future language teachers in the USA.  I've been trying to teach myself Hungarian with the aid of several texts, and now am coming to Budapest in August for a stay.
  My hobbies are very few:  tennis, tennis, learning Hungarian, and some travel.  I would like to use this opportunity to inquire if someone can give me some tips about renting a cell phone for use in Hungary during my stay, something that is not very expensive, as well as suggesting some tennis clubs in Buda, where I have rented a modest apartment near Castle Hill.  I look forward to your posts, and wish you a Happy Fathers Day Sunday.
Sincerely, Paul

Hi and welcome on board Paul!

Your message was moved to the Budapest forum for better visibility!
I hope other members will show up with some good recommendations soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi,

Cell phone service companies offer "pre-paid" service: you buy (and refill) a pre-paid SIM card with 10-50 USD increments.

Then you just need a GSM phone (supporting 900 and 1800MHz), which you might already have, but likely locked to your carrier.

Phones can be had for cheap used, or for reasonable prices (~$40) new as you sign up for the service. (possibly locked to one carrier, limiting reuse in your future travels around Europe.)

So there's not much sense in "renting" a phone.

Tennis is quite popular, I'm sure you'll find multiple places reachable from your place to choose from. Albeit the Pest side is far better suited for tennis courts by virtue of being flat as opposed to the hilly-bumpy Buda side.

EDIT:
Just spell it "Tenisz" when googling.