Western Women in Saudi

Okay, so I'm having little luck finding some answers.  I want to know all the rules I need to follow while living in Saudi.  I'm and American. 
Here's what I already know:
I have to wear an abaya in public
No driving
Don't talk to men unless for business (buying food/clothes)
No displays of public affection

I'm getting mixed reviews about the driver thing though...am I allowed to hire a driver to take me (and my children) to the stores, shopping, school, etc?  Some say I can't be in the car with anyone but my husband (but he works!) Others say you can have a driver at your disposal.  Who's right??

What else do I need to know?  I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes and tick off the religious police (or anyone else for that matter)  What about etiquette when out and about? 
Thanks!

Welcome to the Blog Hagen1213...Best of luck with your move.
I was just reading a thread Do and Don't in Saudi Arabia, and it's full of great tips. https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7325

I can tell you one thing I know for sure, you can hire a cab or a dedicated driver to drive you around with your kids while your husband is at work.

I may get there before you, so I'll try to fill you in :)

I'm sure you'll also get answers from other expats as people on this forum are very knowledgable and helpful.

Thanks so much! Funny, I had read that posting a few days ago!  :)  So, perhaps I know more than I thought! LOL  Would love to hear more once you get there!
Have you figured out what you're bringing with you?

I have three kids (5 and under), so we're shipping all their toys, bikes and books and more books for the years to come (hopefully we last more than one :) ).  I got mixed reviews about stuffed animals though, so I'm dividing those into our suitcases and donating the rest :unsure
We're also shipping our books, kitchen small appliances, and most of our winter clothes.

I have two girls (5 and under).  :)  Books are the big ones.  Then some toys, and room decor to make it feel a little more "home."  I'm actually excited to get rid of a bunch of stuff too.  Are you going to be in a compound?  Which city are you headed to?
I just told my husband to make sure he has a computer all set up for me and an Iphone and Ipad ready to go!  LOL

I was excited like you about getting rid of junk, and boy did it feel good. Best part of it all so far :)
We'll be going to Riyadh...Did I mention that hubby's already there :(  It's not too bad though.  We speak and see each other everyday thanks to SKYPE.  Make sure you have that installed to your PC, laptop, iPhone, iPad...not sure about the iPad part :lol:
We're trying to get into a compound, but haven't had any luck yet finding the right place.
How about you?  Have you looked into housing and schools?

Dear Amgey & Hagen,

Of course you can hire private driver for you,or you can use cab without any problems. it is very common to find some people make ads in the newspaper that they have a car and ready to work. But you should to take care, it is better to know these people before or recommended from your friends.

if you are in Jeddah, i can help you in this issue.

Hi There,

I am a compound representative for ACR which is the American Community of Riyadh. Although not American myself they welcome other nationalities as members.

Try  acrsa.com This is a new website for the American Community in Riyadh. It is a work in progress but at least it may make you feel that you are not on your own.

Jadawel Compound are advertising villas at the moment. It is predominently an American compound.

Funnily enough I am going to a talk next week from an American lady all about how she settled into life here in Saudi. If you private message me I will put you in contact with her. I will of course have to ask her first. So watch this space.

The list you have of don'ts are good to be going on with. The only other thing I would add is don't eat or drink in public through Ramadan (August).

One very quickly makes friends here and you will soon find out what's acceptable or not. Oh and by the way, of course you can have a driver, as said before though get recommendations for a taxi.

Best of luck and best wishes

there is something like that in Jeddah?

I'm not sure but I will find out and get back to you.

Thanks for the tips Dr. Ayk...You're absolutely right about having friends or collegues recommend a driver!

Sandy_storm, thank you and will definitley check ACR out.