Where to move with young children?

Hi there

My wife and I are starting research for a "sabbatical year" (of sorts...we don't actually GET sabbaticals from our jobs!).  She is a social worker with improving spanish skills.  I am a consulting exec looking to change careers.  We have three young children...one adopted latino.  We are looking to spend a full calendar year abroad.  Get the kids into bilingual school.  Volunteer.  Experience another culture but be accessible enough for family to visit.  Etc.  I picked costa rica on the menu here because i had to pick something.   But open to any locations.  Ideas are welcome!

Hi and welcome on board JdBos :)

I think it's a tricky question as each country has its particularities :/
I hope other members will help you in your decision soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Buenos Aires, Santiago Chile are two great options. We are in the same position here in Boston, Ma and those are our top choices out of 5. We had to remove Costa Rica..we realize that we honestly cannot deal with the humidity.
I have read wonderful things about Uraguay. Let us know what you decide on~

Did you decide where to go? We are in the same boat and would love to hear more.  We have 2 kids (one in Spanish immersion school) and are thinking South America. We may not be able to pull off a year. But 6 months for sure. Advice?

We looked really deeply into South America, Malta, Montpellier and Toulouse France...but we are 98% sure we will be heading to Valencia Spain. It offers everything we are looking for.

We do not want to have a car, we want to be able to walk to the markets, buy fresh in-season produce, have Sundays off, not have to pay an oil bill that is more than a sports car (lol) To be in a country/climate that appreciates children and family life.Add in green space and warm weather..Valencia was our affordable choice.
Malta was a close 2nd (it is an affordable EU country)

Brazil - the dollar had flucuated so much from when we started our research..we had to admit we just could not afford all the uncertainties.

Argentina. was fantastic, but was expensive to fly back to Boston in a pinch and you had to invest a pretty penny upfront to get an apartment.

and so it goes..