Which district in Shenzhen?

My husband and I are moving to Shenzhen in June from the US and are uncertain which district would be the best for us.  Our kids are all in college and are not moving with us so schools are not relevant.  Will be working in LuoHu and would prefer a shorter commute but our relocation helpers are steering us towards Shekou.  Any insights?

Shekou is a great place to live  (I live there and also operate a relocation business there) but....

Your relocation helpers are doing you a bit of a disservice as the commute to Wal-mart's office in Luohu will take at least 45-55 minutes by subway and currently the subway shuts down at 7.30pm.  Are your relocation agents Chinese or expatriates? - as it sounds like Chinese thinking to me.

There are some Wal-mart folk living in Shekou but that is more school driven than anything else.

Futian district is a good place to live - subway is in most cases nearby and there is an entertainment district in Coco Park that has bars, restaurants, coffee shops, supermarkets, etc   rents are a little higher than Shekou.

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at the website for Xpats just this morning!  The relo people are Chinese and I imagine they are assuming we will want to be where most of the other Americans they have worked with are living.  I will be sure to look in the Futian area.  I appreciate your help.  Will be sure to stop in for a drink after we arrive in June. :)

Hi,
I live in Luohu since this January. The location is good because there are many shopping malls (with supermarkets, restaurants and bars) and the metro is easily accessible. As I consider the metro (subway) as the only reasonable mean of traffic here, it is really convenient to be close.
When I was with my relocation agency picking for me the place to stay at I mostly wanted to be close to work.
Good luck with your relocation!

Regards,
Marie

My wife and I are also considering relocating to Shenzhen.  Considering Luohu also.   What are rents like?  Also, what kind of access to Western medical care?

Hi Mark! I will be traveling to China next week to apartment shop - I will be sure to report back on the rent prices. In the meantime, have you checked out shenzhenrent.com and shenzhenparty.com? You can see some pics and get an idea on apartment size/cost... 

From all of my research it seems medical care is very good.  I will be searching for an English speaking pharmacist to ensure that our scripts will be available there. If not, gonna stock up!

What will you be doing in China? Will your wife be working? Any kids?

LouHu and Futian is idea district to live,but Shekou is far way from Louhu, so don't recommend.
For information assistance,email to [email protected]

Sam Dai

I have lived in Shenzhen 6 years now, and seen many changes. Shekou is a nice area but as stated by another reply, it is some 55 mins by metro from Luohu.The trains stop at 7.30, but this will change. It is a brand new line.
Luohu has a reputation as a bit of a rough area, but in the past 2 years I beleive that the Police have cleaned it up.
I live in Futian area near the big Coco Park shopping centre. It is roughly 20-25 mins from Luohu by metro, and a much cleaner and modern part of Shenzhen. However, rents are higher and you would pay around 10,000-13,000 rmb per month. Divide by 7 for USD.
There are plenty of western restaurants, pubs and shopping supermarkets as well.Also it is only 3 stops to the train to HK at Futian Kou An.
Luohu and Shekou rents would be cheaper.
Take a look at Joho Maps, map of Subway Hong Kong, it has Shenzhen on it as well. This will give you some idaes.It may not yet include the completed line to Shekou, as it is just opened.

You will not find an English speaking pharmacist - I haven't in my nine years here.  You can get scripts filled in HK but they probably have to be originated by a doctor in HK - so stock up before you arrive.  For details of health care see this shekou.biz/medical.html

Be very careful when dealing with the shenzhenrent.com folk as their contracts often push the onus for repairs onto the tenant.

jonesy wrote:

Shekou is a great place to live  (I live there and also operate a relocation business there) but....

Your relocation helpers are doing you a bit of a disservice as the commute to Wal-mart's office in Luohu will take at least 45-55 minutes by subway and currently the subway shuts down at 7.30pm.  Are your relocation agents Chinese or expatriates? - as it sounds like Chinese thinking to me.

There are some Wal-mart folk living in Shekou but that is more school driven than anything else.

Futian district is a good place to live - subway is in most cases nearby and there is an entertainment district in Coco Park that has bars, restaurants, coffee shops, supermarkets, etc   rents are a little higher than Shekou.

I think maybe the relocation helpers specialized in Shekou Area. So they persuade you Shekou is the best. Because when you consider relacating to other areas in Shenzhen, you may actually kill their business.
I agree with jonesy, Futian is a nice area for Foreigners. I have foreign friends living at Coco park area, they seems to like that area very much.

Thanks everyone. I will be there on Sunday! I'll check back with my results upon return!

jonesy wrote:

You will not find an English speaking pharmacist - I haven't in my nine years here.  You can get scripts filled in HK but they probably have to be originated by a doctor in HK - so stock up before you arrive.  For details of health care see this shekou.biz/medical.html

Be very careful when dealing with the shenzhenrent.com folk as their contracts often push the onus for repairs onto the tenant.

I have lived here 8 months in Nanshan. The HOME hospital near Walmart has a western pharmacy, so does CanAm. I don't know the HOME hospital hours but CanAm are only typical business hours which is nice if you only have emergencies during working hours ;)

The HOME hospital is CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN! I called and they set me up with a translator who spoke English and stayed with me for my whole visit. It costs 100 RMB for the visit and was pretty great care considering the alternative at a Chinese hospital. I also tried a Chinese hospital, bringing my dear Chinese friend along. I saw the line of about 200 people and said NO way! Also try wikishenzhen.com They have directions in Chinese and English so Taxi drivers can know where to go.

Good luck moving! Louho is nice Futian has more options for Westerners, though Shekou has the most.

We have found an apartment. It is not the ideal location but the metro is close and it is only a couple of stops to all that we need as far as groceries,shopping...  Does anyone have any information good or bad abut Walton Heights in the Sheraton Four Points? Futian just at the HK border...

it is quite far away from shopping mall and metro... It is only good for Hong Kong people... Better go north a little bit and close to Coco park...