Real estate agents

My friend just arrived to Addis from Canada. He was wandering around the city in search of rentals and came to conclusion that he would rather buy one since the rentals are expensive ($2.5K-$3 K for a decent house). What do you think?

Maybe I can help. My husband and I own a  nice house in Addis Ababa that we rent out. I also have information regarding purchasing real estate as a foreinger. Let me know what info you are spacificly looking for... Catherine

Catherine
I am interested to know if foriegners can buy and own houses.
Thanks.

I am married to an Ethiopian. When we bought our house I was not yet a resident of Ethiopia and was not allowed to be on the title.  It is my understanding that you have to be an Ethiopian national or resident to do so. I now have my residencey card but my husband and I have not yet gone to change the title. When we initally bought the house it took us two week of standing in numerous goverment live to finalize it. So we are not looking forward to the process again.  What can be done is to go and abtain an internations investors liceince. I forgotten the name of the agency but it is located on Boli Road near the Sunshine building.

Are you currently in Ethiopia or are you writting for a freind?

I hope this helps.

Catherine

Thanks Catherine,
Yes I am in Ethiopia, but I am writing this for a friend. He said he would rather buy one than renting as rentals are so expensive. The priliminary info is that one has to be ethiopian to own peoperties. But I think, as you indicated, the investment thing is an alternative.
Regards,

[Moderated]

Hi Catherine (addisgirl),
We are a family and are moving to Ethiopia in 2 months. I actually have a thousand doubts and questions I'd love to ask you, but I'll be more than happy if you would just give us a hand with info about houses for rental, since right now that is our biggest concern.
We' re looking for a house around 500 m2 with 3 rooms and a garden in Bole. Do you know about any real State agency we could contact with?
Thank you in advance!

Verónica

Hi Verónica!

This is an old thread.
I would suggest you to post an advert in the Addis Ababa housing section.
It might help.

Regards
Armand