Your favorite place to hang out in Addis Ababa

Dear All,

I thought it could be a nice idea if we could share our favorite hangout places in Addis Ababa.

I recently visited the newly opened recreation center in Addis around the area commonly known as Bisrate Gabrel (old airport). The place, called Laphto, is a nice addition to the few recreation places expats commonly hang-out. It's got a nice gym, an olympic length swimming pool, a bowling hall, nice shops. Its cafe is yet not operational and one may feel hungry after the long swimming. I asked owners/managers and they confirmed to that it will kickoff soon.

let's talk about it and other places.

Hi Suave

I suggest you better see Hilton or Ghion Hotel.Have ever been in Wondo Genet( 270 km south of Addis ).really it's enjoyable place but far from Addis.
There are an interesting places around Mexico as well as Bole.

I spend a lot of time in ethiopia (wife from Addis) for indulgence take a trip to Boston in Bole road for a pukka massage (hot stone is fantastic) and follow that up with the private room (better if the wife is with you) there you have your own Steam, Sauna, Jaccuzi relaxation area and served with wine food candles and rose petals everywhere the wife loves tha romance and pampering. They also have a resort about 1.5 hours drive from Addis (they can provide the transport) Kalled Kuriftu it is set on a small lake that was probably a volcanic crater, great for a relaxing weekend. If you are a beer drinke r then a quick couple of pints at the German beer hall shouldn't be overlooked, close to Tele medahalem Church (excuse spelling)

Hi Nosmelc,
As you indicated, Boston at Bole road is one of the places frequented by expats. And there is also an advantage to it: Limetree with Bookworld! - located on 1st floor of Boston. A cafe/restaurant. Book world, the only place in Ethiopia to grab new books and magazines like Newsweek and The Economist. But you have to be smart enough to spot the arrival dates though. Those magazines will be there only for a couple of days or so.

And there is Blackrose at Boston. A candle night lounge with beautiful interior setup. I like the music selection and lamb steak.

And while we are in that area dont forget across the road, for me the best habisha restaraunt I have been to in Ethiopia "heber" (again miss spelt I am sure) and have been to the Black Rose and Limetree also for wifi I like the swiss cafe next to Tele medahalem good pizza and in the basement there is a great night club hangout cant remember the name?

nosmelc,

Yeah, Heber, infront of Boston, is a nice traditional restaurant. And Swiss cafe's wifi connection is nice. But I am not sure if there is a night club at the basement of Swiss cafe. The only basement-night club in the area, from what I noticed is Fahrenheit located at basement of the building next to Edna Mall.A nice club with professional interior design.

And Edna Mall with its latest Holywood cinema is an addition to the existing hangout places in the Bole Medhanialem area. The late-night movie runs up to 11pm in the evening.

Definately is a nightclub under Swiss cafe ( a friend works there) and in the centre you mention we usually hang out there when in Addis on Thursday nights at the Jazz bar in the basement after a couple of toots in Wube Beraha on the ground level its quite upmarket.

nosmelc,

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that there is a club under Swiss Cafe. I will visit it one of these days.

Cheers!

suave wrote:

Dear All,

I thought it could be a nice idea if we could share our favorite hangout places in Addis Ababa.

I recently visited the newly opened recreation center in Addis around the area commonly known as Bisrate Gabrel (old airport). The place, called Laphto, is a nice addition to the few recreation places expats commonly hang-out. It's got a nice gym, an olympic length swimming pool, a bowling hall, nice shops. Its cafe is yet not operational and one may feel hungry after the long swimming. I asked owners/managers and they confirmed to that it will kickoff soon.

let's talk about it and other places.

It's the Opal Lounge. Great place to hang out!

Hi ya all have alot of ideas 2 hang out bt we got a common, we luv 2 grab a drink n chill in z bar next door, which feels like home, i knw a place around bole n if u wanna check it out email me [email protected]

Dear Aman,

Thanks for the info. Please inform the place here so that other expats will be aware.

Cheers!

Suave

Dear,
The favorite place is southern part come and visit Thank you.

I like Jolly Bar in Arat Kilo.

Bodywise gym in Sarbet and Sheraton for sure! Sheraton is child friendly, I bring my 8 month old there!