Transportation

Hi all,
What is the best way to get from the Quito airport to our hotel in old town?
Thank you,
Glenn

Take a yellow taxi that has the #s on the windshield- ask them how much first (because at night they do not use the meters). It should be anywhere from $3-$7 at night.

Is that amount per person or for both of us?
Thanks again for your help,
Glenn

---from the Quito airport to hotel in old town---
Even in the daytime it is not $3. We lived in Old Town and on few ocasions we flied domestic, without too much luggage, taxi drivers were asking $6 in daytime.
There is always traffic when you go to the Old Town and even with good taximeter it is not $3 from airport,besides taxidrivers have to pay parking fee in airport.
When we arrive from States with a lot of luggage, we never, ever just pick up taxi in airport, we have transportation pre-arranged. Spendy but safe.

Here is a tip for you: when you get out of the international arrivals terminal, do NOT get a taxi right at the terminal. Instead walk around the parking lot (to your left) and in about 300 feet you'll get to a major street - Ave de la Prensa. Get a taxi there instead. You'll have better chances to have a meter turned on and not being treated like an ATM. Having said that, a $5 is an all-right price to the historic center (for both of you of course, they don't charge per passenger here... yet).

Usually international flights arrive at night
It is good idea of course to save money on a taxi.
If you are still alive and with your luggage - would you write about your money saving strategies at night around airport?

Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll give some feedback about our experience. Take care, Glenn

Yea, the area around the airport is not the safest to walk around after dark.

For all of you thinking to save money on airport taxis.
From the ExpatExchange forum
Quiote
..with my taxi driver from the airport. Once we left the airport grounds he turned to me and changed the price from $7.00 which the expediter said and I reverified with him while she was there, then he changed it to $20.00 and when I said no, he pulled over on a unlite deserted side street and threatened to unload my bags and leave me, and with no Ecudorian phone I wasn't allowing that, so i paid the $20.00. 
End of quiote

Contact your Hotel/Hostal -- many have van service that will pick you up at the terminal.

If your Hotel does not have this service, take the time to contact the US Consulate Office in Quito (http://ecuador.usembassy.gov/) before you leave and ask for their list of reccomended taxis and driver services.  You can call many of these for a small charge using SKYPE and quite a few in Quito have English speaking assistance.  Arrange for your taxi/driver to pick you up in the terminal.

Unfortuneately "secuestros" -- the name for taxi hi-jacking -- is rampant in both Quito and Guayaquil and taking a "yellow" cab is no longer adequate protection.

Susan
TheOceanHideaway.com

It seems taxi hijacking is getting more prevelant in Quito and Guayaquil...easy money and easy marks (not trying to offend anyone)...it is best to arrange transport before hand to avoid this. You cant hide the fact that you are a gringo/gringa, with a bunch of luggage and arriving internationally. I use trusted sources or rent my own car (yes, before someone says something...I am the brave type...LOL). It really is not bad driving here at all, you just have to drive like they do as in "when in Rome". I would rather drive here than in NYC personally.
Hope that helped some and I would recommend you be careful with a late arrival...pre-arranged transport will save you time and possible headaches.

Larry