Cost of living in Jalan Ampang, Kuala Lumpur, MALAYSIA

Hi.. I am from India, currently with 3.5 years of experience as business analyst and earning 6.2 Lakh per annum. I recently got an offer from a consultancy for 7K  per month for an one year contract. Please suggest is it a reasonable one? I have emi of 35K/per month back in home. Can I survive in KL with my spouse? What are opportunity for my wife to get a job after coming to KL.

sirkpraveen wrote:

Hi.. I am from India, currently with 3.5 years of experience as business analyst and earning 6.2 Lakh per annum. I recently got an offer from a consultancy for 7K  per month for an one year contract. Please suggest is it a reasonable one? I have emi of 35K/per month back in home. Can I survive in KL with my spouse? What are opportunity for my wife to get a job after coming to KL.

Try this website www.numbeo.com  Also read through the posts on the forum categories list, upper right hand side of this page by clicking on the cost of living section.

Salary is too low. Ampang is very expensive and 7k is really for someone with a year or at most two years experience and single.

12k with a wife is my rule of thumb min.

Wife low chance usually but depends on her skills, education  and experience.

Hi Sirkpraveen,

As Nemodot pointed out, to be living in areas in and around Ampang, 7K per month is low. The rent alone is usually 7500RM+ for a partly/fully furnished apartment. And with the depreciating currency, you are likely to end up sending more money in RM towards your loan in India than under normal circumstances. As far as looking for a job for your spouse, well..... I have been looking for one since Aug and I am still looking (Honestly, I am not pinning too many hopes). But I know quite a few people (wives of expats) who hunted for jobs and gave up. If your wife is already working, suggest she gets a transfer here (if the company has a center here).

Hope this helps.

And asking out of curiosity, is the offer from HP? Because I got a similar offer. :D