New members of Panama forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Newbie on Panama forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Panama if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

P.S : The thread
New members of Panama forum, introduce yourself here – 3rd quarter of 2015 continues below!

Hello - I'm new to this blog. 
My husband and I - Canadians - are touring Panama for a few months this winter as a possible "retirement" place for us to consider.  We'll be driving from Panama - heading to El Valle, Pedasi and eventually to Boquete area.  What is the best place to stay between Pedasi and Boquete?  Not sure Boca Chica is what we're looking for.  Any suggestions?

Michelle

Hello all,

My name is Deb and I currently live in Miami.  Approaching retirement age, I am quickly realizing that I will not be able to survive in the states on social security income alone.  With about 3 years to go, I am beginning to explore opportunities outside of the U.S. where I can live comfortably on my expected income of about $2K a month.  Panama keeps cropping up in my reading as the best place for expats to retire but I have not been there.  The blogs discuss places of which I have no knowledge.  I am looking for help in where and how to begin.  I like the beach and mountains both.  I do not speak Spanish and will be living alone.  I suppose I would be most comfortable in a place where English is spoken and safety would be paramount.  Is Panama the place?  I don't know.  I prefer city life, its what I'm used to, with a social life. 

That's the nutshell for now:-)

Deb

Hi Everyone
Don't really know where to start...Lived in Montreal my entire life. went to school here, got married to my high school sweetheart at 22 yrs old...(way too young)...managed to stay married for 46 difficult years,,and its time to move on.
I've been considering moving to a warmer climate where I could live off my measly pension...and I'm definitely considering Panama..and as soon as possible...but I need help and advise...What's the real story with living in Panama? What are safe expat areas? What's the chance of finding someplace to share with some one  (a room mate)? I know there are many things I need to learn and do before  I can even consider the move..so I welcome what ever advise you can offer

Hi All,
My wife and I recently moved to Panama City from Nassau Bahamas for work, and are interested in meeting up and making some new friends over there.
My wife is about to begin an intensive immersion into learning Spanish but I am hopelessly clueless at the language.
If anyone's interested in meeting up for a chat / coffee, please direct message me and we can arrange something!
We're really looking forward to getting to know the city of Panama!

Hi,

After subscribing to this blog and reading the postcards that come to my inbox daily, I've decided to explore not only Panama but Ecuador as well.  Possibly Europe too.  I am enjoying reading about all the possibilities as I realize the variety of options available.  As I have a few years to decide I will use all the information I am sent to build comparison files.  And the best part will be to visit all the possibilities.

Hello we just moved to Panama on the 19th of October. We are from Toronto Canada. We moved here with our 2 kids and are looking to grow our business. My husband can speak Spanish but the children and I can not and need a place where we can learn ASAP. Also we are looking for sport activities/teams our boys can join to interact with others their age. If you know of any in Panama City area please let us know.
I am a nursery school teacher and my husband is in real estate. We are looking to meet families and likeminded expats.... And that all about us hope to meet some of you soon!!!

Well here goes....first time openly admitting this and saying we ARE searching out an adventure! We are looking for a place to call home that is tropical and educational! Panama seems to fit the bill! We need/want a place that has a strong International school as we will be relocating with a 10yo son.
I am a retired Registered Nurse and my husband a retired Print Press Operator. We are excited to try/do something outside the box. We do not have a big family so have no real ties to stay where we are. We have an 18yo in College but she is even excited at the prospect of a move!

Any information good, bad, ugly and indifferent gladly accepted!
We just got home from a week at the Royal Decameron. We did some touring of Coronada and what a lovely place that is! (I could live there) ;)

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Im not a newbie but its been a long while since i have been here on the forum.

My name is Pantelis.

I have been living in panama for 2 years now. I have roots in Panama and can help anyone who is wanting to move here and is looking for property. I can also help you with any questions you may have about living here.

I am 33 years old. I am a Greek Canadian living in Panama. I speak 4 languages: English,Greek,French and Spanish.

I can help point anyone in the right direction. Especially if you were like me and do not speak the native language here. It sometimes can be hard to get started. I see this as an opportunity to help other like me.
I have studied the market here for a while now and can help you find what you are looking for at the price you are willing to pay. No need to worry ill make sure you are not getting the short end of the stick.

If you have any questions or would like further information you can contact me personally throught email at ************

Or we can also skype if you prefer that just let me know and i can provide whatever you would need to know as its probably a lot to cover.

I'm also looking for work anything along the lines of administration or managing. I do have a job, however i always seek new opurtunity. I also have a car and valid licence.

Moderated by Priscilla 8 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

I'm retired with a gross pay of $3800 per month.   I could make an easy move to Panama, give up my US citizenship and life happy tax free.  But my wife, stepson and daughter in law are all Vietnamese and want to stay here in Fairfax county, Virginia because they have a large Vietnamese community and culture here.   How many Vietnamese live in Panama?  This might help me persuade them to move.

I don't know about those numbers but 10 percent of the population is Chinese.

Hi Everyone.

I'm 26 years old and will be moving near Colon, in about 2 months. I am from Belize, which is in Central America, if you are not familiar with it.

In about a month and a half I will be marrying a Panamanian who currently resides there.  I have been doing some research on Panama but cannot seem to get the answers I need... We decided to live in Panama as my future husband is enrolled at a University there and my country's laws for immigrants has a lot of "RED TAPE" which means it would take forever for him to become a resident and get his papers in order.

I have been reading that Panama wants workers there but it seems that I would be stuck for sometime without work.

Currently I work at a resort in Belize, with a managerial position, as I had decided to venture into the tourism industry.  I also have a degree in early childhood education and am currently licensed to teach in Belize as well.

My fear is that I will not be able to obtain a work permit in Panama until I get my residency, which as I have read, takes at least three years. I contacted the Panamanian embassy in my country but they did not seem to know much about this particular process.

Any advise on how I can make this process faster without having to go through the "special work visas" that don't seem to apply to me?

Thank you for your advise!

Like many, we are eligible to retire in about 3 years. We are looking at about $4000 a month. I have 3 small children still at home . I want to homeschool them. We do not want the Panama City life, something in between country and city. I know there is no way we could afford to stay in the states on our pension. (From Houston Texas) I would prefer somewhere safe, but economically affordable for us as well. We are planning a visit in summer 2016, maybe near Pedasi. Please offer any advice.

Hi, My name is John.living in St. Petersburg, Florida for the past 16 years working in the healthcare field as a medical coder for HCA Hospitals. Love music, reading , beach, water, beach bars, playing music, writing and recording my own music..Heck! I like to have fun. Looking forward to shutting down my work life for a life of more of the beach, the bar, the reading, the music, etc. "It's not a bad or good experience, it's an adventure." That's about it!

Hope I run into you in Panama one day John - you seem like you will be a welcome addition to any scene! I am a mountain rather than a beach guy, but no doubt our paths might cross. Carry On Carrying On!! lol
:top:

Hello from Naniamo.
We are retired couple considering moving to Panama.
Looking forward to meeting Canadians living there now and any helpful advise you may have.
Cheers
Karl/Sylvia

Hi Panteli

My name is Christina I also have roots from here. But I'm Greek also born and raised there. So I just came to David Chiriqui. I know Spanish , english and greek. But I would love to find some greeks to hung out, and help learn about David or Boquete . etc,
Do you live in Panama city or David?

Hello everyone,

My name is Mark,  I am 32 years old from Toronto Canada.  I work in the Marketing industry (Trade show/Exhibit side). I manage the fabrication side of it.  I love hot weather, music, beaches, reading, sports, good food and just having a good time.

I have always had a dream of moving to a latin american country, I love the latin culture. They truly know how to live life.  I just recently visited Panama City and just fell in love. What an amazing & beautiful city & country. I met so many amazing people in the short time I was there,

I have decided Panama is where I want my home to be, so I joined this forum in hopes of recieving any tips, advice & guidence to help me with my adventure.   It is a bit scary for me as I will be going about this on my own

I speak very little spanish, but am about to start lessons.  My biggest challenge is to find work, with the language barrier, I believe this will be a challenge, but I am sure I am not the first to take this route. Anyone have any advice, direction?

I look forward to talking to all of you & hearing your stories & advice.

From what I have seen so far, there is a great community of support on here which is exactly what I am looking for.

Hi everyone we are a couple from Canada, looking for friendship with all around good people only. Our whatsapp is *. We just arrived as well hoping to make Panama our home at least part of the year.

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : for security reason, please share your contact via the private message system
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi Deb,

Good luck on you search.  My wife and I (Tennesseans) are considering the same thing.  I am ready, but I think Valerie might have some reservations!!  We are definitely beach freaks, so whatever you do please update the blog!!!  It will be good info for all of us!  Don't know when we will get down there, but hopefully will be able in 2016!

Good luck,

Don

Moderated by Christine 8 years ago
Reason : promoting your business freely on the forum is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi I am from the Netherlands and currently moved to Panamá joining my daughter, her husband and my grandson. I am planning to stay here and currently going through the paperwork for immigration. Also looking for an apartment or house to rent/ buy.
I have been traveling in and out of Panama since the eighties. Love the country's nature and hope Panamanians will get to appreciate their beautiful country some day :-)

If you need any help. please let me know...I offer FREE advice. I was born in Panama. Just like to help since I understand how it was for me while stationed overseas in Korea.

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of external links not allowed

You might also seriously consider Medellin, Colombia.  Much more of an organized country, higher level of education, roads are paved, mail delivery service exists, the dollar goes much further there, currently 3080 pesos to the dollar, used to be 2200.   My significant other is from Colombia, so you can ask me anything about Colombia.   We hope to sell at least one of our apts. In Panama and buy one there.

Hello everyone,

Welcome on board  :)

Just a quick reminder that this thread is only dedicated to the introduction of New Members.

If you have questions, the first step will be to go through the different categories of the Panama Forum or to start a new topic on the forum.

Here is the direct link : https://www.expat.com/forum/post.php?fid=244〈=en

All the very best
Bhavna

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=553905

Thanks! 

Closed