6 month Tourist Visas - Issues involved

Hello,
I will be moving to Mexico... the Tulum area, soon. Initially, I will only have a Tourist Visa.
I imagine that there are many people who have spent more than 6 months in Mexico, without getting anything more then the Tourist Visa.

I am finding some difficulties that I imagine others have experience, and maybe conquered.
Such as:
1) Buying a car and driving legally in Mexico with only a Tourist Visa
2) Issues with having a Pet (does my Dog have to leave after 6 months also?)
3) The Mexico to Belize 'to-renew-my-passport' drive. I heard some undesirable aspects of this trip.
4) Opening a Mexican Bank Account
5) Accidentally losing your visa paperwork, and what happens when you want to fly back to the USA (and then back to Mexico)
6) Maybe some other issues.

Now I have heard of ways to circumnavigate some of these. Some might be illegal... or il advised... or against the intent of the law, even if within the law.

I know nobody here would practice any of these 'circumnavigate techniques'... but I am just collecting data... so if you happen to know someone who has, please share it with me.

Unfortunately, I'm not rich. I'm just trying to get some 'inside info' to try to make my life easier in Tulum.

Thanks
Larry

"I am finding some difficulties that I imagine others have experience, and maybe conquered.
Such as:
1) Buying a car and driving legally in Mexico with only a Tourist Visa
3) The Mexico to Belize 'to-renew-my-passport' drive. I heard some undesirable aspects of this trip.
5) Accidentally losing your visa paperwork, and what happens when you want to fly back to the USA (and then back to Mexico)
6) Maybe some other issues."

You have come to the right place. Like it or not I have 2 1/2 years experience with this. i recently got a residencia permanente , so I will not be doing this again.

1.) They say if you have the money, you can buy the car, yet I have heard in some states it is not that easy. So check out your intended state. With a tourist visa, you can drive in Mexico with a U.S. license. Be sure to have Mexican insurance. Buying it locally is best. I have recent experience with Aba seguro and do not recommend them. If the agent is local they are easier to find. Do not try to have a U.S. car.

2. I'm not so sure about the dog, but I suspect that the two of you are seen as one, after all you had to do all that paperwork to get the pet in.. Check with the local aduana

3.) I've done Mexico to Belize several times. They require a 3 day minimum stay, and it's very expensive. Over time I have found ways to make that easier, but it remains a slippery situation, with perhaps a bribe here and there to smooth things out. It remains a work in progress not to be worked into your budget like a fixed expense. (Pm me for current details)

4.) I haven't done this as yet , but understand it is not very difficult if you live here."To open a Mexican bank account you will need valid identification such as your passport or driving license and a proof of address."

5.) If you lose your visa you will likely get the problem solved with a fee at a local office. Try not to do that, it looks like just a piece of paper but that could cost up to $40 U.S. Every Time you fly in and out, Mexico collects that piece of paper. Only once did that not happen and that was driving into Sonora and across the border. That is likely due to the heavy border traffic.

6.) other issues, try to get an understanding about basic rights and road rules before driving in Mexico. There are a number of sites including this one where you can find out quite a bit about about that. Just ask.

"Now I have heard of ways to circumnavigate some of these. Some might be illegal... or il advised... or against the intent of the law, even if within the law. "
Tread very carefully here, some of that circumnavigation is why Belize is now a required 3 day stay.

Hi singledd,
I am not as far along as travelight.  I'm taking my first trip to Merida in a few weeks.  BUT, if all goes well I would love to make it my new home!
Should I apply NOW for a Resident Visa, just in case it all works out?  OR, do I have to stay a consequtive number of years?
I had decided to not make too much whoop-whoop over the details since so many of us USA Expats are there, so it can all be worked out somehow.  But, I wanted to FALL IN LOVE first so that that feeling would fuel my passion for getting all the details lined up, just as "travelight" is doing.
For now, just interested in how to PROCLAIM my interest to possible emigrate their permanently.

OH, and not to be too political, but how is the situation in Merida regarding Syrian refugees??  Do they also go to Mexico?  Are there issues?  This situation scares me to death in the US.

Thank you tremendously,
Ally

"1) Buying a car and driving legally in Mexico with only a Tourist Visa
5) Accidentally losing your visa paperwork, and what happens when you want to fly back to the USA (and then back to Mexico)"

1. There might be problems with not having QR drivers license, which with a Visitante Permit you can't get. If your in a wreck, the insurance will only cover you if you have a valid driver's license. Got to check that with the agency.

3. It has been reported that you need a internet printout of the hotel reservation. Take luggage and look like you're going to stay a while.

4. Some banks want a resident permit and not a Visitante. Tour the banks until you find one that will open an account with a Visitante.

5. You pay a fine.

About #3, They want more than just a reservation in Belize, and the luggage won't fool them either. They want evidence of a paid reservation. You have to show you didn't just book a room, but you paid in full. Many of the hotels there are now requiring full payment.Been there, done that.

The is something called 'Temporary Resident' that can be a visa for up to 4 years.
You must meet their Income requirements to get one. Meet the requirements, and you get a four year visa. You MUST apply for that visa at a Mexican Consulate here in the States. You can NOT get it once you are in Mexico.

It's pretty cheap.
If you can, I'd get one.... and then you have 4 years to make up your mind.

3 days in Belize sounds like a REAL DRAG! In this the Belize Government's idea?
What happens If I fly out to renew my passport, but my car doesn't leave the country?

singledd wrote:

3 days in Belize sounds like a REAL DRAG! In this the Belize Government's idea?
What happens If I fly out to renew my passport, but my car doesn't leave the country?

You don't renew your passport, but get a new FMM (Visitante Permit) that is good for another 180 days. Your car, if you entered on an FMM, is tied to your Visitante. That would make the vehicle in the country illegally if you left the country to get a new Visitante.

"I've done Mexico to Belize several times."
By the way... any idea how many people are doing this run? Per year... Dozens?  Hundreds?
Anybody have any idea how many Americans are down there for-more-than-6-months on a Tourist visa?  At any one time... Dozens?  Hundreds?

Do you know...
if you fly out of the country.... like to Cuba or Miami...
do you Also have to stay 3 days?

singledd wrote:

Do you know...
if you fly out of the country.... like to Cuba or Miami...
do you Also have to stay 3 days?

There is no three day minimum. You can return the same day. The three day is one established by the Belize agents, not the Mexican ones. Remember, it is up the the INM agent to grant you a Visitante Permit. It is not automatic if they suspect that you are trying to avoid getting a resident visa.

There is no guarantee you will get that visa or that it will be a 4 year visa. Your income is the big decider. You then have to let the border know you are seeking a change from 6 month to temporary when you fly in, following that there are more fees, and more paperwork at IM. You have a month after leaving the U.S, after seeing the consulate, to complete the IM paperwork and pay those fees.

The three day thing is indeed an agent driven thing, but they stick tightly to it, and the country does nothing about it. The agents say there were too many just driving over the border to renew their visas. I have no way to gauge how many tried that, but I know it was done because I heard people brag about it.  Until the Belize government changes things it continues a three day rule and the hotels are backing it up by requiring fully paid reservations, which should tell you where their heads are at. I was just in Belize in September, so this is not old information.

" What happens If I fly out to renew my passport, but my car doesn't leave the country?"
If it's not an imported car there should be no problem.

Wow! Things must have changed a lot in the last 7 years! We used to regularly renew our visas at the town on the Mexico side called Subteniente Lopez--there was a regular window and all. Never crossed the border at all!

Yes Babs, the border is now the Chetumal border and it's big and fairly new. The Belizean side also has a new big official check point. there are sobornos issues on both sides at times, but the Belizean side is pretty stubborn.  I complained officially, but that just resulted in hotels requiring a fully paid reservation.
I have gotten to know the border people in Belize and if you are nice they can be more flexible. It has become a sort of game. I know the rules, and pay as little as possible, but if I did not go on to Belize the Mexican border side tended to consider me not officially having exited from Mexico. No mans land you might say.

I have heard that some of us find a Mexican friend who registers and insures a car (purchased by me), makes sure  I am insured to drive that car.... and that's it. I have a car to legally use and it doesn't have to leave the country.

Is that correct? I read it on these here Internets in a few places.
Is this common?
Is this a problem?

Wouldn't that give him legal ownership?  He'd have to be trustworty.

Yes, gudgrief, it would give him control of the car, certainly. Not a very good idea....don't know that I would venture into that agreement even with my own child.  But, I'm sure it's done all the time because it just works.
I feel that the majority of people in any country are honest and good.  Maybe not Iraq or Syria.  But certainly Mexico.  Politics corrupts.  Money corrupts.  I want to stay away from both of those. 
I think it's a pretty good idea, maybe our Mexican buddy can drive it when needed.

Are the streets pretty awful to drive on in the City of Merida?

Ali

No... I bought and OWN the car.
However, all the paperwork (registration, plates, insurance) are in a friend's name.
If my Friend gets angry with me, he can decide NOT to re-register my car. Cancel the insurance.
That would be a bummer....
but I still own the car, so now I'll have to find another 'Friend'.
I would happily pay a modest service fee to some 'Friend' for doing this for me.

Nope.
I (or you) own the car. I/You paid for it. It's in my/your name.
The Friend controls registration and plates.... not ownership.
Bear in mind, I understand that without a Friend, the car is useless.
And I believe it is legal to drive this 'Mexican' car with an American drivers license.
However... I am NOT 100% on all this.
It's info I've collected from around the web.
Mostly personal stories.

singledd wrote:

No... I bought and OWN the car.
However, all the paperwork (registration, plates, insurance) are in a friend's name.
If my Friend gets angry with me, he can decide NOT to re-register my car. Cancel the insurance.
That would be a bummer....
but I still own the car, so now I'll have to find another 'Friend'.
I would happily pay a modest service fee to some 'Friend' for doing this for me.

If the Factura (title) isn't in your name, you don't own it. If you don't have a valid Mexican driver's license and you're in an accident, the insurance will not cover it.

Again.. I may be wrong... but I believe I get the Factura (title) when I purchase the car.
It is/will be in my name.
Buying the car is a separate act from registering it.... correct?
So... if the car is/will be in MY name
But it is registered and insured by a native...
than I believe the car is legal for me to drive with a USA license.

People here will register a car for someone else. It's not uncommon.

The question is in Mexico is it legal?
And I believe my scenario above is.

In the Title states I lived in in the US, a dozen or so, you had to have the title in your name to sell a car and also had to have thetitle in your name to register it.  (don't know about Mexico.)  The title holder is the owner.  "Factura" is a special document (form and contents) in Mexico.  It's the official, legal evidence a transaction has taken place.  The title holder is the owner.

Hi Barry,
I've been to your website and read some of your stuff.
Can I ask where you are living now? 

Thanks
Larry

I know of several people that live in Mexico and have for years on Tourist Visas. They just make a trip out of Mexico every 6 months or so.
You cannot open a Mexico bank account on a Tourist Visa, but I have been many places here and US ATM cards work everywhere I have been, including Tulum.
But if your plan is to stay any real length of time I recommend getting a Temporary residency. It is just not that hard, or expensive.

You CAN open a bank account with tourist visa

Two things Fred, You must exit mexico when your 6 months are up if you are here on a tourist visa. Six months, not 6 months or so, there is no or so. They make it clear you must leave in 6 months and point out exactly what date that will be. Also you might want to read the post on this very blog about banks.  https://www.expat.com/en/guide/north-am … exico.html It tells you all about banking.

We should also note that it is not 6 months, but 180 days. Small difference, but necessary if you are relying on the 6 month time.

At the Mexican Guatemala border it is not necessary to leave Mexico when your 180 days are up.Simply present your passport and your receipt for the tax paid for the previous six months.Ask for another tourist visa and proceed to pay the 350 pesos at the desk opposite.

When I said 6 months or so I meant less, Some go every quarter. Some go 3 times a year. Some go every 180 days.
I will re-phrase my Banking comment. Most Mexican Banks will not open an account on a tourist Visa.
Thank you for pointing out the errors you self righteous snot

OMG....really?

Coatepec, Veracruz.

gudgrief wrote:

In the Title states I lived in in the US, a dozen or so, you had to have the title in your name to sell a car and also had to have thetitle in your name to register it.  (don't know about Mexico.)  The title holder is the owner.  "Factura" is a special document (form and contents) in Mexico.  It's the official, legal evidence a transaction has taken place.  The title holder is the owner.

There is no "title" in Mexico. The Factura shows who bought it and they own it.

You're correct.  The Factura is the proof of ownership..

Banamex will open an account with a tourist visa

Hello folks...
Hope ya'all had a good holiday.
Now.... not to be a jerk....
but I'm note sure I got responses to my SPECIFIC scenario.

Again, I will be living in Mexico on a 'Tourist visa'.
I want to be able to drive legally.
One scenario I saw on these here Internets was:

1) A Tourist bought a car. The Factura was in his name.
2) He has a friend, who is local. The friend registers the car (and gets plates) under his name.
3) The friend purchases Auto insurance.. and names the Tourist as a driver.
Now I believe the Tourist, with his American license, can legally drive the car.

Now not to say that Mexico is the same as the USA, but this happens all the time here.
A parent buys a car, but it is registered to his son/daughter.
I think it happens not in-frequently... that the name of the owner and the registrant are different.

A) If I can meet 'a Friend' who Is local, and knows something about cars,
maybe I gift him $50 for coming to buy the car with me, and doing his end of the paperwork.
Maybe I give him a gift of $20/month to keep the status quo.

Now.... does my scenario have problems?
Does It seems to be legal?
And are there a number of Tourists in Mexico right now driving under this scenario?

Singledd, good luck with your scenario. When you've completed it, come back and report on it. It could be a breakthrough for many on a Visitante.

http://mexicocity.angloinfo.com/informa … -used-car/   This would seem to be the best solution to your questions Mexico itself.

Just for drill, I Googled, "can a tourist buy and drive a mexican car" and came up with a link
http://tellthemisaidsomething.com/2013/ … reaucracy/

Apparently one couple did it in 2013 in Playa del Carmen.

As with everything else in Mexico, things could vary greatly from state to state.