Apartment rentals in Montevideo

Can anyone recommend a reliable source for apartment rentals in Montevideo? The pictures on the internet are rarely accurate. Also, any neighborhoods to recommend? We stay in Palermo in Buenos Aires so looking for something similiar if it exists.

Probably the best neighborhood in Montevideo as far as being safe and modern is Puntas Carretas. If you are considering renting long term I recommend you read this article about what you should know about renting an apartment in Montevideo:  paradiseuruguayblog.com/2010/11/rent-apartment-in-montevideo.html
If you are looking for a short-term furnished rental there is a lot to choose from. One company that specializes in short term rentals is Living in Montevideo. The owner is bilingual and has a good reputation with tenants. [email protected]

Hope this helps get you started.

thanks so much for this. I appreciate this information. My wife and I are seriously considering Montevideo as a place to retire or semi-retire in a few years. We've made several trips to Buenos Aires and on our last trip just felt it would drive us insane to live there full-time. Montevideo sounded more relaxed and we could still dance tango. Thanks for your information.

Yes, Montevideo is more relaxed than Buenos Aires. AND, there is Tango and tango culture here. Best of luck with your plans and I hope you end up liking Montevideo as much as I do.

Duende123,

Punta Carretas is one of the ''most'' expensive barrio of Montevideo. You can search as well something in Parque Rodo, Pocitos, Buceo or Malvin. All these areas are safe and easy to use the transit system. I like a lot Parque Rodo as you have the ''caché'' of the barrio (architecture, streets with trees).
I find Punta Carretas very superficial.

In term of Montevideo, the city is a very quiet city and far from the active life of Buenos Aires. Everybody will tell you that Montevideo is the dormitory city of Buenos Aires. Tango is strong in MVD and more or less equal to BA. Is MVD more relaxed than BA? Maybe however depends of your lifestyle. If you are a retiree looking for a quiet life, MVD could be the nice location. However, MVD has the same problems as many big cities: crimes, robberies, dirty, huge gap between poverty and rich people, etc...

Good luck and hope you will enjoy MVD.

Thanks so much for this information. I appreciate your taking time to give me your perspective.

However, I heard from some (more than one) Germans living in Montevideo that Uruguay is not so safe at all as being advertised. And also that living is quite expensive lately. If you check realestate prices online in MVD, you will see that they are probably right. So, caveat emptor.

i also think uruguay is no more a cheap destination, in comparison to other south american countries ...

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : Promotion of external links not allowed

Hi Duende,

Montevideo is much nicer than Buenos Aires in my opinion but it is not without it's own issues like any city. As recommended, you might want to stay in Punta Carretas or Pocitos but there are many who like Ciudad Vieja as even though it is a little rough around the edges, it is breathtakingly beautiful (IMO) if you like old architecture.

Short-term rentals can be tricky so I suggest checking on airbnb where they are used to renting short-term to foreigners.
(moderated)

Happy trails!

Moderated by Julien 8 years ago
Reason : advertising your services isn't allowed on the forum - please register in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

¡¡¡¡¡Hi everybody!!!!
I am from Armenia .i want to move to Montevideo.i know that there are armenian schools in MVD and it is in Bella Vista.i would like to rent a cheap flat for long term in that area.coulad anyone help me whith some information ??

Hello there georgiarakelyan,

Can you please drop an advert in the Housing in Montevideo section of the website ?

You may also contact the professionals listed in the business directory : Real estate in Montevideo

All the best,
Bhavna

Hey Bhavna,

This is an opportunity to know from you about Uruguay. I am planning to migrate with family. I shall be grateful if you give bit idea about country, people, job opportunities, survival, medical and education facilities.

Thanks
Sachin Kumar

@Sachin Kumar >  Bhavna is from the Expat.com team. Please start a new topic on the forum and ask your questions, members will try to help you. Please read our code of conduct on the forum as well. Thank you.