New members of the Dominican Republic forum, introduce yourself here – 4th quarter of 2015

Sorry I don't wish to change my username it was just a curiosity !!

Thank you Darlene !!  I was contacted about changing the username but I don't wish to change it !!  It was just a question to see if it was possible to do by editing the personal profile !!

Hi rio2014 > if you have any questions concerning the website, please view the FAQ or please contact us.

Thank you.

Priscilla you rock, thanks honey!

Gee here I thought Priscilla did a good job!

Hi all,
I'm Dan from Missouri. I retired in 7/14 on an accelerated schedule, because I had a miserable, boring life. I started in Sosua, but found that for me, the reasons it was a fun place for vacations made it a poor choice for living.

I made my way to Las Terrenas, and decided it would be hard to top, and settled in for an extended stay. A woman was renting a spare bedroom next to her home, I took it, and we fell for each other. She has lived here all of her life, is a property owner, has had businesses here, held political office, and is my age. We are crazy for each other, with complimentary strengths to make for a great team.

I added three studio apartments onto her home that opened for business in April of this year. We just completed the first youth hostel in Las Terrenas, with a dorm room that sleeps ten. It is on our terrace, and adjacent to the common kitchen and lounge area that are typical of hostels.

Las Terrenas is my dream location. It was a town first, then tourist destination. It is mostly families that live here, and there is little vendor and tourist hustling. Its laid back vibe really strums my strings. I'm a "water" guy, and Las Terrenas has it like no other place I've seen. The beaches here are spectacular and varied.

So, as things have turned out, I've driven my stake in Las Terrenas. It's my new home, and we have a stream of enthusiastic, adventurous people passing through our lives that is a satisfying lifestyle. I love introducing people to this hidden Shangri-La, helping them get here conveniently, and pointing out the incredible sights of the area.

Our lodging is geared toward the "Walmart shoppers", which I consider myself to be, with good value and a memorable experience here. I'm glad to provide assistance for those looking for higher end digs around here, although I have no experience in those. I can help with logistics, proximity to important places, and so on.

Our place is called Dan and Manty's Guesthouse. We are right in the middle of town, but only ten minutes to the beach on foot. Every gua gua stops at our entrance, the grocery store is a block away, and the colmado is across the street. At night we usually here crickets, and of course the occasional dog. Roosters? Yup.

We have a Facebook page you'll find if you Google Dan and Manty's Guesthouse-Las Terrenas.

WOW,  welcome what a great story and  nice to hear you found your place!!!!  Good for you!  Please keep us posted on your progress and updates!   

And please take a classified ad for your lodgings!   We will be happy to send people to you.

Dan Williams what a great success story.  I wish you continued success and a bit WELCOME to our forums.

Bob K

Hi Everyone!
My name is Jocelyn and I have been in Punta Cana since 2004.
I work in real estate and have small community magazine.

I had signed up before to Expat.com, but wasn't very active.

Jocelyn welcome back.  This is  a pretty good board and we look forward to your contributions. As a long time resident of the PC area I am sure you have lots to share.

Where are you originally from?

Bob K

Welcome to the forums!

Hello to everymember,,just found this blog site by accident,but im happy i did,,because since i married a dominican girl over two years ago, I've been traveling back and forth between santo domingo and las vegas nv, where i'ts been home for the last 30 years,,worked as a bartender in vegas for over 20 years until i was forced to stop working due to medical reasons as a result of a car accident,,,we just bought a property in santo domingo, i was attracted to the no annual property taxes for properties under 5 million dominican pesos policy,,,but im glad i found this blog site cause i often have some questions about certain things ,,so happy to become a member of this blog site

pabster1958 welcome to the forum.  Lots of nice folks here with lots of information and opinions to share.  We look forward to your contributions.

How much of your time do you spend here?   How did you find the DR?

Again welcome.

Bob K

Hi mr. Bob,thank you for the nice welcome,,I spend my time between las vegas and santo domingo,,since im partially disable as a result of a car accident,,i spend time in vegas in order to keep up with doctors appointments and then i go back to my wife in santo domingo,, and by the way i usually fly with copa airlines back and forth,,and  i believe is the best airline service to the DR,,i flew with united and also american airline,,i can say that copa airline is the best,,they allow you 2 fifty pound checked bags and also 2 carry on pieces of no more than 22lbs,,free of charge,,i really take adventage of that free service,,i bring so much stuff from the u.s with me ,for the wife and my stepchildre and my inlaws,,, i found this forum by accident,,i was doing research on the internet about investing on short and long term cd's at the local bank in the DR when i came across an ad for this forum and got in it,,and i liked what i read, because  i might need some info that you guys might have it,,since you people been in the DR for a while,and it seems that you guys know a lot about  the system in the DR..me im just a newcomer,,im still going through the cultural transition process,,although im originally from mexico,,but the culture over in the DR are quite different than that in mexico,,,i been in the U.S for over 40 YEARS so i consider the U.S my country,,by the way im in the U.S rightnow heading back to the DR for the holidays in 2 weeks,,looking forward to exchange valuable info, with members of this forum in the future,,you all have a great day,,and thanks again mr Bob K

You are welcome.

Unfortunately we cannot use Copa here on the north coast but are held hostage by AA and United...it sucks. Thankfully I only go back to the states every couple of years.
Bob K

Hi.  My name is Alice.  It is great to be able to go onto a sight that purports to help people like myself with questions regarding life outside of our home county.

I am a little fearful of making a move out of the US to the DR, but really want to a more simpler, less hustle bustle lifestyle. I also love the weather and feel I can make my money go farther. I have made and saved money that I think will help me bridge the gap between now and retirement. 

Is my idea too idealistic? 

Thanks for your help..

You can do it. be sure to take your time & slow down your search. Making contacts is not a rapid solution but often the best one. Be wise, economize.  Remember the book and movie. "A Rush To Judgement".   Take heed, it is a good lesson to learn.  Life can be fun, take it slow, have a few libations, laugh & keep your eyes open.  Welcome, you will do just fine.   The Tuba has spoken/

Alice welcome.

Have you been here before?

Take it slow. Take a 2-3 month trip down and see if the DR fits for you.  It is not for everyone.  If you take it slow, make wise and sound decisions, learn to adapt to the country and people it can be a great experience.

We have been here full time for over 9 years now.

Bob K

Welcome to the new members. Always my advice read read read and then read some more. There is so much info here already,   then  come ask whatever questions you need in the threads already established or open a new one as you need to!  We are here to help.

To all newbies, welcome. Here are a few thoughts to ponder,  Ignorance VS stupidy.  Ignorance just means that you don;t know something, ... stupidity means you either can't or refuse to learn. The latter is shameful & all too common,  Celebrate your ignorance with learning & rejoice in the experience. Look, listen & you will be able to  gradually understand the differences in life here.  A sense of humor, patience & open eyes and heart will ease the journey through life here.  Along with the frustrations comes the pleasure of living here. You will discover new aspects of yourself heretofore not known.  Divest yourself of preconceived notions & open up to new ideas & ways of living. Even though I hsd been here many times visiting from another island, when I moved here in 2002, It took me a couple of years to fully appreciate the way of life, the people & the land that I now cherish as home.Be inquisitive but never brash. A low profile will garner more & better friends & contacts. If you can , read every thread on this site.  Take your time & learn from the mistakes of others.  Make you own mistakes remembering it only is a mistake if you repeat it...Sit back, have a few libations & laugh.  You are HERE!!    Welcome again, from the Tinker,  One of the notorious "Gee Men"

Good post, good advice.  Welcome newbies!

Bob K

Well said Gypsy.....

Truly a man of wisdom. Gee men. I like that.
Good advice Gypsy.

Stanr, takes one to know one, or so I've been told.

You are such a philosopher- hahaha! Good on you  ;)

Greetings All:

I've been an occasional lurker in these forums for a number of years.  After a particularly miserable winter here in Atlantic Canada I finally resolved that enough was enough.

My wife and family and I have been visitors to the DR numerous times over the last 20 years.  We've stayed in the typical tourist all inclusives, but i the last 5 years we stumbled on a different experience.  My 2 sons are both heavily involved in competitive laser sailing and we traveled to Cabarete so they could train at the training centre there.  We found a very well run and comfortable (however expensive) condo close to the facility and absolutely loved the different experience.  The setting was perfect of course, but the ability to get out and be more self sufficient, to meet other expats and locals in a relatively safe environment was a real eye opener.  Another community of interest to us is Las Terrenas and I'd be interested in hearing views on comparisons.

We've visited and stayed in the same place now 3 times and have another trip planned for Christmas this year.  We are seriously interested in exploring options for regular and longer term stays in the next few years as a way of determining whether this might be a suitable place to invest in a retirement residence.  We'll obviously be looking at value and quality as criteria, but also some sense of what kind of opportunities exist to make life meaningful.  The ability to pursue interests and engage with interesting people.

So that's our story... in brief.  If anyone has any reactions of suggestions they'd be well received.

I look forward to following the lively discussion on this blog.

Cheers,

Bob

Bob welcome to the forum...officially :D

You are going about it the right way in multiple trips and staying off the resorts. My wife and I came here to the north coast over 9 years ago on a full time basis, we too were tired of the snow in the foothills of Colorado (already over 40 inches of snow this year and currently 19F and snowing). 

When we got here we rented a villa for a short time then bought a condo in the Ocean Dream complex in Cabarete while we built our final villa between Cabarete and Sosua so know the area quite well (actually sold real estate for a number of years before re-retiring 3 years ago). Needless to say we love the area.

So  again welcome and please read (as it seems you have done) the multiple threads on this site and feel free to ask questions on living here, moving here, life here, visas, residency and such.

Bob K

Hello all,

I am a 35 year old single woman looking to relocate to the Cabarete area.

I have visited twice, the most recent time with the good fortune of getting to explore the non tourist areas with the help of some local friends.

I have been able to pay off my student loans and have savings that would provide a cushion during transition. My plan would be to work 2-3 months/year in the US.

I have been soaking up all the info I can, but ultimately what it comes down to is is it safe for a single woman to move there? Should I absolutely opt for gated/security developments? I never felt unsafe during my prior visits. I am street smart and not at all interested in associating with the "wrong crowd".

Thanks and good to meet you all!

Margo

Hello Bob, from Halifax. I'm on this forum often and sometimes post a question, when I saw the name Halifax come up, I had to say hi. My wife & I live in Moncton, N.B., and are planning on a month's stay this year in Las Terrenas from Feb 8th to March 8th. We should exchange E-Mails and we can give you some feedback on the area after our visit is done. We also travel to Halifax every 2 or 3 months for a weekend getaway now and again, and possibly we could meet for coffee or something then?

Five years ago we stayed for a month in Sosua and enjoyed it immensely, but like you, found the accommodation pricey. After all, everything is in $US and when you do the conversion over, it's 30% more. Let me know.

Margo welcome to the forum.  Yes lots of good information here.

Yes it is safe for a single woman but you must be "aware" and not do stupid things and keep you street smarts with you at all times.

Personally I would opt for a secure living situation.

Please feel free to ask you questions.  We have been here on the north coast full time for almost 10 years now.

Bob K

Tappers welcome officially to the forum.

Bob K

It is not so much where you live as it is how you live & conduct yourself.  Naturally you don't want to reside in a known danger area, but with common sense & no late night solo walks, you should be fine.  Planner has pertinent & cogent info for you. As a single woman, she is better equiped to give you advice on this subject.  Heed her well. She is one very smart lady.

Welcome to the new members.  Bob has it right,  lots of good info here for you to read read read.

Thanks Gypsy,  in terms of what its like for a single lady, ask away, I will help where I can.

Lets move all discussions to other threads though as it keeps the welcome thread clean!  If you don't see an appropriate thread,  start one!   

Thanks everyone.

By the way, pretty sure Bob made a typo he is definitely not from Halifax.....LOL

Thanks!

Funny it as Tapper's name is Bob and he is from Halifax.

Bob K

Hello
New member to the forums but I have been reading them for some time. Husband and i are planning to make the move hopefully by March 2016. We have visited many areas of DR and are thinking of Cabarete/Sosua. Plan is to come down and live a few months to figure it out. Will search the foums but will need to land in a place that we can rent for several months. 2bed2bath ocean views... and the tough part... will allow our cats that we are bringing from the US.....(Yes we have researched the requirements for bringing them in). Any suggestions advice etc is appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forums.  You  will find it less difficult to find rental accommodations who accept cats.  I've not found pets to be much of a problem here......

Thanks so much planner!

ns1437 welcome to the forum.  As you already have seen lots of information here for you. 

We relocated to the north coast (Sosua/Cabarete area) full time nearly 10 years ago.  You should have no problem finding a place that will also accept your cats.  What kind of rental were you looking for (condo or villa)?  You will also find closer to the ocean the higher the price.

Keep the questions coming

Bob K

Closed