Hola! Working diligently on moving to SMA :)

Hello, I'm a wifey to my husband of 20+ years and we have 2 children.  We are working daily to do research, sell things here and do some serious lightening up of our belongings.  We are deeply rooted, so to speak, lol.  We are looking forward to a simpler life where we can help our children learn that there are more important things that material things, the fast rush of life in the USA and help them see that being "people focused" and helping others is where it's at.
We have our home to sell and can live on that for many years if needed, but are very anxious to find out the specifics of opening a small business on the outskirts of SMA.  I have been researching for months but need to know what legal avenues I need to meet in order to do this.  We would be able to hire a couple of locals in the business so hopefully that would help us get approval.  Does anyone know where to point us to find out more about this?  And I have to sort out all the types of visas there are and which would suit us best to apply for, cost wise, etc.  We would both drive a vehicle into Mexico and pull and trailer behind it with our belongings as we don't want to have to ship anything in because of the cost.  Has anyone else done anything like this and do you have any tips for me?  ;)  Also, we have several family pets that will be coming with us as they are a complete part of our family, not just animals, so any words of wisdom on that would be so appreciated.  I understand about the veterinary certificates, etc.  Do any of you have a parrot you brought along on your move?  What hurdles and costs were involved with that?  I've read so many differing articles that sometimes they contradict each other, so I'd love to hear a real life experience.  I know SMA is likely to be more expensive than other towns in Mexico but we'd need to be somewhat closer to a tourist location in order to run a small business.  We're hoping to have an off grid eco type lodge, small but very quaint and service oriented.  We'd also like to have an eco farm as part of that, very small acreage but teach locals and any expats about eco gardening.  It's very specific and we have done enough research to feel confident there's a market for that.  We're very excited about our new life and don't have any qualms about moving from the US.  We're ready for this next chapter in our lives! I"m looking forward to getting to know you guys and reading your posts and your stories.  Thank you for answering any/all of my questions if you have an insights for us. 
Adios!
Annaliesse

Any ideas for us? :)

I am in the same process-I would also welcome ideas and advice.

I hope others that have been there or live there will chime in and answer one or two questions posted here.  We could use all the help and advice we can get!  Where are you moving from Jbrauwn?  :)  What's your target move date?

"I have been researching for months but need to know what legal avenues I need to meet in order to do this.  We would be able to hire a couple of locals in the business so hopefully that would help us get approval.  Does anyone know where to point us to find out more about this?  And I have to sort out all the types of visas there are and which would suit us best to apply for, cost wise, etc."

There are 3: Tourist (180 days), Temporary (up to 4 years) and Permanent (you are semi-Mexican now)
There are income requirements for Temporary and Permanent. You must have had these assets for the 12 previous months (bank statements).
Temporary: $1500+/- US/month income -or- $105,000 in cash. Other assets may be considered.
Permanent: In theory, you need to live in Mexico as a 'Temporary' for 4 years in order to get a Permanent... but again... I have read stories of people who got a Permanent right off the bat. These are usually folks with healthy bank accounts/income.
The income/assets requirements are higher that the Temporary  requirements. I don't know the numbers off-hand.

Rarely, do folks like us qualify, or want, a 'Permanent' right off the bat.
The Temporary and Tourist are similar, in terms of the laws/your rights.
However, with a Tourist, your CAR ALSO has to leave and re-enter Mexico at least every 180 days.
If your have a 4 year Temporary... so does your car (have 4 years)... so that may save you a LOT of hassle.

The 'Temporary' visa MUST be applied for at a Mexican Consulate in the USA. Can NOT be done in Mexico. If you qualify (financially) for a Temporary, I would go for it. There is almost no downside, aside from some modest fees, and a bit of time/hassle finalizing the paperwork once in Mexico.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe those who do NOT have a 'Permanent' visa, can NOT 'legally' earn money in Mexico. So... a Mexican business can not put you on the payroll. Are there thousands of Tourists, musicians and others, who earn money and get paid... (off the books I'll guess...if they have books...), YES, there are. Can you have a cash business as a 'Tourist'? I think many do. Does the (Mexican) Government really care? It doesn't look like it. Can you get in trouble? I don't know.

"We would both drive a vehicle into Mexico and pull and trailer behind it with our belongings as we don't want to have to ship anything in because of the cost.  Has anyone else done anything like this and do you have any tips for me?"

There is paperwork involved, but it is not hard to drive into Mexico. However, bringing in possessions is a different matter. You are allowed to bring in stuff... but Mexico will TAX it. There may be other fees... and there is a procedure of labeling and value-ing what you bring in. Again, lots of people do it, but you want your paperwork in order. Plan on paying at least 16% on the value of the goods (not including the car) you bring in.

In terms of Car/Driving in Mexico:
On a TOURIST or TEMPORARY visa: You can drive using your USA license, and have a USA registered and plated car. However, if you have a 180 TOURIST visa.... so does your CAR! Your car, as well as you, have to exit/re-enter the country every 180 days to 'renew' your 180 day visa.
On a PERMANENT... you need a Mexican license and Mexican registered/plated cars. Many people have actually had to ship their USA car out of Mexico.

"Also, we have several family pets that will be coming with us as they are a complete part of our family, not just animals, so any words of wisdom on that would be so appreciated.  I understand about the veterinary certificates, etc.  Do any of you have a parrot you brought along on your move?  What hurdles and costs were involved with that?  I've read so many differing articles that sometimes they contradict each other, so I'd love to hear a real life experience."

Yes... each animal needs their own Pet 'Passport'. This is basically paperwork from your Vet that proves the pet is in good health and not a carrier of various health issues.  I believe you can 'easily' bring in up to 3 dogs/cats. Other animals have more of a process to bring in. There is a lot on the Net on this... and it looks pretty consistent. There are 'official' forms for Pets... so get all your paperwork in order. Again, it's probably doable (I don't know how many and what type you have), but the Mexicans are VERY strict about this. Pets have been disallowed or held in quarantine for weeks. Make SURE you have all the paperwork perfect.

"I know SMA is likely to be more expensive than other towns in Mexico but we'd need to be somewhat closer to a tourist location in order to run a small business.  We're hoping to have an off grid eco type lodge, small but very quaint and service oriented.  We'd also like to have an eco farm as part of that, very small acreage but teach locals and any expats about eco gardening.  It's very specific and we have done enough research to feel confident there's a market for that.  We're very excited about our new life and don't have any qualms about moving from the US.  We're ready for this next chapter in our lives! I"m looking forward to getting to know you guys and reading your posts and your stories.  Thank you for answering any/all of my questions if you have an insights for us."

First off... call 2 or 3 or 4 Mexican Consulates in this country. I have spoken with Orlando, Boston and NY. They will answer any questions you ask. Use them. You don't need to give your name or personal info.

I am moving to Mexico (south of Playa del Carmen) in January 2016. From my investigation, it seems that a lot of laws/rules get broken. Opening up a Bank account on a Tourist visa? I don't think it's 'legal', but lots of Tourists have one. Driving a Mexican plated car (aside from Rental cars) with a Tourist visa with a USA license? Not 'legal', but some have done it and I think there may be other work arounds.

You don't want to move to Mexico to break laws, but there are restrictions and hassles to NOT having 'Permanent' visa status. It puts me in a bind... but it seems like once you get there, and to your specific location, you need to learn the 'lay of the land', in terms of what you can get away with without getting in trouble. It seems like bending the laws as a bit of a norm.

Mexico has been making it progressively easier for Gringos to vacation/live in Mexico. They understand that USA talent and money benefits their country. They are very strict with some things. Visas, passports, animals, what you bring in.... they are serious about those issues. Drugs or guns (or even bullets)? GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. You want everything in order. But bank accounts? Driving? Earning money? Maybe they look the other way... I don't know. I mean, I'll guess the vast majority of musicians/bands don't have a visa that allows earning money. But they all do. That's a few thousand law breakers right there.

singledd wrote:

"ITemporary: $1500+/- US/month income -or- $105,000 in cash. Other assets may be considered.

Temporary and Tourist are similar, in terms of the laws/your rights.

Savings income for a Residente Temporaly is about $26,000 USD monthly balance for 12 months.

Your rights are same as a Residente Permanente when getting a Residente Temporal except you would need to  add "Permiso para Trabajar" [work permit] to a RT to work legally.

Hi, FWIW, the $1500/month number I quoted was based on speaking to 2 different consulates... Orlando and Boston consulates, as well as on 2 or 3 different websites. Mexico wants to know that Tourists, looking to become 'Temporary', have enough money to live in Mexico. $26,000 (a month??)  is enough for some people to live in Mexico for a year. I would suggest you double-check your source.

As far as driving/licensing/registering, while I'm not sure, I believe there is a difference between 'Temporary' and 'Permanent'. Someone who is 'Permanent' MUST have a Mexican license AND have their car registered/plated in Mexico. While I do NOT think it applies to the 4 year 'Temporary', IF IT DOES, this is something anyone who wants a car needs to examine carefully.

And I don't know why, but for some reason, when people go to 'Permanent', they literally have to get rid of their USA plated car. I have read about people who had to do this on multiple blogs. I also heard of a new company that specialized in helping people get their car out of Mexico.

So if you are Driving into Mexico, you need to know if you can use a USA license and a USA plated car on a Temporary or not. This is hugely important.... is it not?

This looks good:
http://www.sandiegoleisure.com/TEMPORAR … DENCY.html

TEMPORARY MEXICO RESIDENT CARD FEES, 2015:
1    year   $3,519.00 Mexico Currency
2    years $5,272.00, Mexico Currency
3    years $6,678.00, Mexico Currency
4    years $7,944.00, Mexico Currency (about $550 USD...  cheap!)

Who qualify for Temporary Mexico Residency Status?
1    Applicants  with  ties to Mexican Citizens  or foreigners (Non Mexican) residing in
      Mexico with  temporary  or permanent residency status
2   Applicants with job offer;  stating the occupation, physical address,  temporarily
     and proof of future employer ID registration number within Mexico Immigration
3   Applicants whom own Mexico, real estate
4   Applicants who  can proof a monthly NET  income of about $1,500.00, U.S.   
5   Applicants who can proof investments or bank accounts averaging $25.000.00,
      per month

Exactly as I quoted, a savings account with a monthly balance of about $26,000 US per month, not a deposit of $26,000 US per month. Also RT and RP visa holders have the same rights except RT vísa holders without an added "permiso para trabajar" cannot work.